Gen Boonsrang vows to get rid of trading in police positions

rooster59

Gen Boonsrang vows to get rid of trading in police positions

boonsrang070717.jpg

The head of police reform panel has vowed to get rid of the age-old malpractice of trading in police positions, but he is undecided yet whether inquiry work should be separated from the police force or whether the police force should be decentralized.

Former supreme commander Gen Boonsrang Niampradit who was handpicked by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha to work on police reform met with the prime minister on Friday (July 7) to exchange views on the police reform subject.  He said the meeting was a good sign showing the common intention to get the job done.

The first meeting of the police reform panel is scheduled on July 12 during which several sub-committees are expected to be formed to study various aspects of reform, said Gen Boonsrang, adding that previous findings on the issue would be taken into consideration as well.

The venues of the meetings will shift from place to place such as the Government House, the Supreme Command headquarters, the Royal Thai Police Office and the National Defence College.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/gen-boonsrang-vows-get-rid-trading-police-positions/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-07-08

Gen Boonsrang vows to get rid of trading in police positions, well good luck with that one pal.

Every senior police position is bought, and he thinks he can change that.

No position is filled on merit, just how much money they pass on.

While I would love to see action taken to reform the BIB, I truly cannot think of any reason to be confident in this "new and improved" committee which will "allow the people’s sector to share their views on police reform".

After three years in power, another committee struck. Another promise made that this time things will be different. Another round of meetings for discussion, another, another, another...

Meet the new committee, same as the old committee.

19 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

I read this as starting the reform by trying to stop the police from ripping each other off. Imo, a more pressing issue is police extorting from the public, is that on the reform agenda at all?

Are you talking about collecting some petty cash on the roads

Personally I have little objection to the odd 200 bhatt here and there

I do not believe there is widespread of exploitation of the public, money from business owners is another story

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The first meeting of the police reform panel is scheduled on July 12 during which several sub-committees are expected to be formed to study various aspects of reform, said Gen Boonsrang, adding that previous findings on the issue would be taken into consideration as well.

Everybody  in Thailand, including of course  the top ranking people who created this committee and the ones who sit on it, knows that the issue here is not to 'study' or to 'find', but to DO SOMETHING about it.

Whatever needed to be studied and/or found has already been found and exposed in great length, and to no avail. No real and effective action was ever taken.

So the question is not 'what will this committee find?' or even 'what will this committee do?' (aside from receiving 36 salaries) because both questions are purely rethorical. No, the real question is : is there one person left in this country who is willing to swallow such an outrageous amount of hot air (and I'm being polite) ?

Edited by Yann55

One of his first jobs could be to explain the situation to his superiors......

'Meanwhile, Gen Prawit said he has no idea how position buying in the police force can possibly have taken place. He also encouraged those aware of or involved in the practice to report any wrongdoing.'

14-06-17

8 minutes ago, greeneking said:

'Meanwhile, Gen Prawit said he has no idea how position buying in the police force can possibly have taken place. He also encouraged those aware of or involved in the practice to report any wrongdoing.'

14-06-17

Surely he reads TV

2 hours ago, al007 said:

They should bring in outside consultants from outside Thailand and follow their recommendations

I'm led to believe that this was done before, I'm not sure which branch of American law enforcement it was, but they said that it was a hopeless case and went home.

2 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

They could start with spinning off other departments such as immigration which is not a core part of the police department. If immigration was a stand alone department there could be reform there too. 

Thing is the police run everything from a large part of the justice department to immigration, AMLO and other investigative departments serving the public - I use the word serving in its most loose sense.  You are right in breaking these departments away from the police is a good way to start reducing the huge power the police wield and the massive corruption across the board.

1 hour ago, klauskunkel said:

I read this as starting the reform by trying to stop the police from ripping each other off. Imo, a more pressing issue is police extorting from the public, is that on the reform agenda at all?

58 minutes ago, al007 said:

I do not believe there is widespread of exploitation of the public, money from business owners is another story

The police here has a mandate to protect the public from crime. That includes demanding "petty cash on the roads", as well as extorting money from businesses. This criminal behavior is wide spread, organized and protected. My contention is, that this does not feature on the panel's to-do-list. And also not mentioned are conflicts of interest where officers own businesses using their position/connection to operate outside laws and regulations, while enforcing the same on their competition.

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Gen Boonsrang vows to get rid of trading in police positions, well good luck with that one pal.

He has already bought his so he is in the clear

1 hour ago, greeneking said:

One of his first jobs could be to explain the situation to his superiors......

14-06-17

A tourist police captain told me she had to pay 100k for her position despite passing all her exams and having a university degree.

shift from place to place

up to eternity I suppose

Do you know actually, that all teacher posts are bought? That is why knowledge is so poor. Not the best teachers are teaching but rich ones (or parents) but maybe the most stupid ones who bought already their university degrees....

I think his name should be boomerang because this one with come back and slap him in the face

2 hours ago, al007 said:

What about the people whose houses have been burgled ? A friend of mine was burgled, cops wanted 10 k Baht before they would investigate, and I'm sure he's not the only one in this country to have that happen, so your statement is untrue.