Briton plunges down Thailand waterfall

webfact

Holidaymaker plunges down Thailand waterfall

screenshot_5077.jpg

Luke Scott is lucky to be alive. Credit: Family picture

A Wigton man has suffered multiple injuries after falling down an 80 metre stretch of waterfall in Thailand.

Twenty-year-old Luke Scott was with friends when he slipped and fell, suffering a fractured skull and broke his ankle, jaw, eye socket, and cheekbone along with several ribs.

He has been flown to a hospital in Bangkok and his family are waiting to see when he can be flown back to the UK.

Luke, a welder with Cumbria Profiling Ltd, was on holiday with his five friends visiting the famous Na Muang waterfalls when he slipped and fell head first.

Full story: http://www.itv.com/news/border/2017-07-10/holidaymaker-plunges-down-thailand-waterfall/

-- itv  NEWS 2017-07-11

Poor guy indeed. Accidents do happen and waterfalls are always pretty dangerous even when steps sre taken to minimize danger.

I just hope he gets the support he needs and can recover fully asap. All the best Luke ?

I like looking at waterfalls... from beneath as I know that it's dangerous climbing on wet rocks! 

Good that he has an insurance that will pay but still an idiot in my eyes for being reckless. The same goes for those people that go on these giant inflated hot dogs, rock climbing or even rent a motorcycle and then have accidents... if you wouldn't do it back home, then don't do it in Thailand as there are even fewer safety measures here!

29 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

A sensible British tourist, who took out travel insurance before coming here.

Best wishes to him for a speedy recovery.

The article does not say he has insurance, it says " “How can I find Luke’s travel insurance? He’s had a fall.”" - Don't be suprised to see another GoFundMe page.

1 hour ago, 1SteveC said:

The article does not say he has insurance, it says " “How can I find Luke’s travel insurance? He’s had a fall.”" - Don't be suprised to see another GoFundMe page.

If you read the linked article, they are waiting for medical clearance to allow him to fly home, through his insurance.

So don't worry about a GoFundMe page, you can keep your precious pennies (or satangs) in your pocket.

Yes he had travel insurance so this guy will get the best treatment possible in his home county .  He probably paid less than $50 for it .  Without insurance the hospital bill in Thailand could be millions of baht .

7 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

A sensible British tourist, who took out travel insurance before coming here.

Best wishes to him for a speedy recovery.

There is no guarantee the UK insurance company will pay out, there are complaints in the Scottish Sunday papers every week

about insurance companies refusing to pay out claims on a techincality.

And don't mention about the small print, all the print should be the same size, they only use the small print hoping that you

will not notice it.

7 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

I like looking at waterfalls... from beneath as I know that it's dangerous climbing on wet rocks! 

Good that he has an insurance that will pay but still an idiot in my eyes for being reckless. The same goes for those people that go on these giant inflated hot dogs, rock climbing or even rent a motorcycle and then have accidents... if you wouldn't do it back home, then don't do it in Thailand as there are even fewer safety measures here!

What about those who rent or buy motorbikes and don't have accidents? Life is for living! 

9 minutes ago, losername said:

Yes, until you die.  It's just that there is no point in trying to hurry that moment up!!

Depends i suppose if you like to live life in a protective bubble, or get out and have fun. Fun is how i live, motorbikes all my life, hanggliding, paragliding, mountain bike riding......... Not for all i understand, but i have seen the most amazing views riding around Asia on my motorbike and would never change it.

Edited by chrissables

Maybe he did do adventurous things back home. Maybe he didn't like to plonk his backside in a bar all day and actually wanted to do something while he was here. Calling him an idiot says more about you. Weren't you young once and wanted to explore? Probably not by the sounds of it.
Good luck to him. Speedy recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

an idiot you say? for having an accident. you sound like a really nice bloke

Depends i suppose if you like to live life in a protective bubble, or get out and have fun. Fun is how i live, motorbikes all my life, hanggliding, paragliding, mountain bike riding......... Not for all i understand, but i have seen the most amazing views riding around Asia on my motorbike and would never change it.

You have to remember that most of the old farts on here come here to die. They think falling off a bar stool is being adventurous and risky.

Just now, Kadilo said:

You have to remember that most of the old farts on here come here to die. They think falling off a bar stool is being adventurous and risky.

55555555555555 I'm no spring chicken, only motorbiking and mountain biking for me now :)

55555555555555 I'm no spring chicken, only motorbiking and mountain biking for me now :)

Nor am I. But god forbid I never end up as grumpy and negative as some these forums. Thailands a great place to do so much apart from sitting in a bar or patio thinking of the next negative post to write.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

There is no guarantee the UK insurance company will pay out, there are complaints in the Scottish Sunday papers every week

about insurance companies refusing to pay out claims on a techincality.

And don't mention about the small print, all the print should be the same size, they only use the small print hoping that you

will not notice it.

I always read the small print.

He's lucky to be alive after falling all the way down that waterfall based on the photo in the linked article.

This is exactly the kind of incident which insurance is designed for. It's rare but it does happen occasionally.

I hope he does have insurance or the bills are going to be pretty high. The article didn't confirm this, only that his mother was looking for it.

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

Probably quite accurate, however, there's been a large number of younger people that have died,  for various reasons and in different ways, here in LOS.

It's a jungle out there.

8 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

If you read the linked article, they are waiting for medical clearance to allow him to fly home, through his insurance.

So don't worry about a GoFundMe page, you can keep your precious pennies (or satangs) in your pocket.

I read the article and nowhere does it say this - " through his insurance".

11 minutes ago, 1SteveC said:

I read the article and nowhere does it say this - " through his insurance".

There is another article on the Daily Mail website and which confirms that he does have insurance. He's currently waiting to get well enough so they can ship him off back to the UK.

24 minutes ago, ukrules said:

There is another article on the Daily Mail website and which confirms that he does have insurance. He's currently waiting to get well enough so they can ship him off back to the UK.

:-)

Probably quite accurate, however, there's been a large number of younger people that have died,  for various reasons and in different ways, here in LOS.
It's a jungle out there.

Yes I agree. And a lot of adventurous people die everywhere in the world. To be fair he doesn't seem your typical young "idiot"
He didn't go out alone, he wasn't pissed up, he was not without insurance. He was doing something many do day in day out it seems, only he slipped. It happens.

It's a jungle out there.

Yes I agree. And a lot of adventurous people die everywhere in the world. To be fair he doesn't seem your typical young "idiot"
He didn't go out alone, he wasn't pissed up, he was not without insurance. He was doing something many do day in day out it seems, only he slipped. It happens.

It's a jungle out there.

He didn't go out alone, he wasn't pissed up, he was not without insurance. He was doing something many do day in day out it seems, only he slipped. It happens. Accidents happen.