What do I have to do to get my bowels moving again?

giddyup

Always been pretty regular, a once a day in the morning person, but over a week ago I was constipated for 4 days and was feeling downright uncomfortable. I ended up resorting to a couple of Dulcolax which did the trick, and the next day I had a pretty good cleanout, however, since then there hasn't been any movement. I eat sensibly, lots of fruit and vegetables, also eat prunes, dates and figs as well as a variety of nuts. I also just bought prune juice and tamarind juice that are also supposed to be good for regularity. I'm not experiencing any bowel pain or anything worrying, it's just feels like my bowels have stopped working. I don't want to keep resorting to laxatives and becoming dependent on them, so I'm not sure what else I can do. I'm 75, not overweight, but could probably use a bit more exercise than I'm getting. Any tips?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like we pretty much have the same "constitution" because I'm about as regular as democratic elections in Thailand!

I've tried all sorts of things and a couple that do actually work, in conjunction with some bulk, are sachets of a green powder called Fibely, sold in small green boxes in Boots and Watsons and Apple fibre powder (from iHerb).

I mentioned the word "bulk" and I have just started buying some All Bran which I have located in one of my local stores and this also helps although I thought it would be a waste of time.

They do say that if you have quite a change in bowel habits, that you should get checked out, so maybe that's a consideration?

4 minutes ago, perthperson said:

You appear to be taking all reasonable steps toward solving the problem.

Experiencing a change in bowel habit at your age should prompt you to seek advice from a a gastroenterologist or colorectal surgeon.

I know that's good advice, but I don't want to turn into one of those hypochondriacs that rush off to the hospital every time there's some change in my body. After all, at 75 I don't expect everything to work as well as it once did, and certainly constipation isn't unheard of in the elderly. I have had minor concerns with my lungs, prostate, throat and eyes in the last couple of years, All have checked out as nothing to worry about.

Edited by giddyup

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

I know that's good advice, but I don't want to turn into one of those hypochondriacs that rush off to the hospital every time there's some change in my body. After all, at 75 I don't expect everything to work as well as it once did, and certainly constipation isn't unheard of in the elderly.

I doubt anyone is going to accuse you of "hyphocondria" if you decide to seek advice.

Advanced age+constipation are not necessarily  synonymous especially if not suffered previously and no other lifestyle changes have taken place. 

6 minutes ago, perthperson said:

I doubt anyone is going to accuse you of "hyphocondria" if you decide to seek advice.

Advanced age+constipation are not necessarily  synonymous especially if not suffered previously and no other lifestyle changes have taken place. 

I just want to try some natural remedies before getting cameras stuck up my jacksie and down my gullet.. I don't want to end up like my old man who spent the last decade of his life in doctor's waiting rooms.

Just to clarify. When I said that I have always been regular, that doesn't mean I have sh*t regularly every morning for the past 75 years without ever experiencing constipation before. Like pretty much everyone, I have had the odd bout that lasted 2 or 3 days, but then back to normal. This time, the "getting back to normal" just doesn't seem to be happening.

I am not totally clear on the timeline, how many days ago was the dulcolax "clean out"? As it is to be expected that after that there may be a gap of a few days before you need to go again, especially if the "clean out" was, shall we say, thorough.

Are you eating the prunes every day? How many?

And have you had a colonocopy in the past 10 years? If not you should anyway, and the new appearance of constipation is all the more reason to. better safe than sorry. The reason for the advice to see a doctor is that changes in bowel habits, especially in older people, can be an early sign of colon cancer. Which is curable if caught early. So it is not a matter of running off to the doctor because of constipation per se but rather of ruling our a serious condition which this can be a sign of.

Two capsules Senna leave extract every day very cheap and best brand from Boots. I take them around noon time and by morning all is ok. Timing will be very different for each individual.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

I am not totally clear on the timeline, how many days ago was the dulcolax "clean out"? As it is to be expected that after that there may be a gap of a few days before you need to go again, especially if the "clean out" was, shall we say, thorough.

Are you eating the prunes every day? How many?

And have you had a colonocopy in the past 10 years? If not you should anyway, and the new appearance of constipation is all the more reason to. better safe than sorry. The reason for the advice to see a doctor is that changes in bowel habits, especially in older people, can be an early sign of colon cancer. Which is curable if caught early. So it is not a matter of running off to the doctor because of constipation per se but rather of ruling our a serious condition which this can be a sign of.

It's 4 days since the "cleanout", and I'm eating a combination of around 4 prunes, figs and dates every day. Before I took the Dulcolax I had a week or so of feeling quite bloated, a feeling that would come and go from time to time. Never had a colonscopy, but was screened via a stool sample a few years back I guess it might be time for another bloody hospital visit, seems like that's all I do these days.

I would recommend some daily exercise, if you have constipation , drink a lot of fluid and move around , it helps me.  Also my daily oat porridge with lots of fiber seems to be doing the trick with bowel movement .  

1 hour ago, balo said:

I would recommend some daily exercise, if you have constipation , drink a lot of fluid and move around , it helps me.  Also my daily oat porridge with lots of fiber seems to be doing the trick with bowel movement .  

Hydration is very important, I find that sometimes after a day of heavy exercise in the heat, even though I have seemingly quenched my thirst, it affects bowel habits for a day or two if I don't drink enough. 

I think that most of the advice other posters have given you so far is sound: make sure you're drinking lots of water, and definitely see a doctor/possibly get a colonoscopy.  It's not hypochondria, it's just being sensible.

In the shorter term, there's a "roughage" product easily availably in Thailand, called "Donutt," that my girlfriend introduced me to; you dissolve it in water, drink more water with it, and about 8 hours later or so you should have a nice, loose, bowel movement (probably best to take it just before going to bed).  The only time I ever get constipated is after flying from the US to Thailand, and it clears me right out.  Some Thais think it's for weight loss; it's not, it's just a source of fiber, much like Metamucil (which is popular in the West).  You should be able to find it at any Foodland or similar store; I've attached a photo of the package.

vw.jpg

7 minutes ago, Chou Anou said:

I think that most of the advice other posters have given you so far is sound: make sure you're drinking lots of water, and definitely see a doctor/possibly get a colonoscopy.  It's not hypochondria, it's just being sensible.

In the shorter term, there's a "roughage" product easily availably in Thailand, called "Donutt," that my girlfriend introduced me to; you dissolve it in water, drink more water with it, and about 8 hours later or so you should have a nice, loose, bowel movement (probably best to take it just before going to bed).  The only time I ever get constipated is after flying from the US to Thailand, and it clears me right out.  Some Thais think it's for weight loss; it's not, it's just a source of fiber, much like Metamucil (which is popular in the West).  You should be able to find it at any Foodland or similar store; I've attached a photo of the package.

vw.jpg

classic Thai product packaging,  a picture of a donut coupled with Thailish "Total Fibely" ? 

I love it!! 

Actually the classic Issan home remedy is tamararind which works a bit more gently than prunes. 

All good advice mate. I'm a youngster at 72 but have the colonoscopy 5 yearly. I know you don't want to see another doctor, but worrying about this will drive you madder.
From my experience, if you take some tablets or drinks to make you go to the toilet, your body takes time to get back into the normal swing of things.
If you're taking anything for pain, like codeine, this also could cause a problem. Hope it all works out 555.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Everybody is giving you good advice about eating well - lots of fibre etc. Nobody has mentioned [that I noticed] drinking lots of water.

Have you been using painkillers or other medication? If you have medically induced constipation a high fibre diet should be avoided.

BUT GO AND HAVE A COLONOSCOPY.

Just now, Trentham said:

Everybody is giving you good advice about eating well - lots of fibre etc. Nobody has mentioned [that I noticed] drinking lots of water.

Have you been using painkillers or other medication? If you have medically induced constipation a high fibre diet should be avoided.

BUT GO AND HAVE A COLONOSCOPY.

I use BP medication, but have done for several years, so there's been no major changes. I also drink at least 8 glasses of water a day.

Just now, DoctorG said:

Eat street vendor food. Works for me every time. :smile:

Otherwise as much water as you can manage.

If no improvement, see your doctor.

Eat street vendor food. Works for me every time.

I want a bowel movement not food poisoning.