In detention right now about to be deported

I decided a few weeks ago after similar if not so drastic reports to have 600 euros in my pocket when I arrive later this year (with TR visa).

Seems the only reasonable insurance policy against entry denial. Gonna recommend it to my friend here as well who's a regular visitor.

Pass the message folks.

Since there is a stamp in the Passport- it will now be up to the IO to ignore the stamp- see the money- and hopefully let the OP in.

In my opinion- if I was coming to Thailand on an exempt Visa  or Tourist Visa and was less than age 50- I would not only carry the 20,000 Baht but proof of return travel; proof of employment; and a hotel reservation.

4 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

The main stamp says no means of support. The vertical stamp on the right says that they believe is coming to work.

From other reports, they don't allow anyone to go the ATM. 

>>>> The main stamp says no means of support. The vertical stamp on the right says that they believe is coming to work.<<<<<

What will it be then?

Overkill?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tsm12345 said:

Okay some people say it means they believe I'm working and others say it's that I don't have enough funds on me. Can somebody clarify please?

If immigration believe ur working, or going to work, what can u show to prove ur not?

Regardless,  head to Nong Khai,dress nice, make sure u have 20,000 baht.in cash and speak nice and smile

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 2

Just now, Tsm12345 said:

Does anyone know if it's standard procedure to have both of them?

I'm not sure. But you said earlier you are able to enter via the bridge with 20,000 THB cash, and bank statents with 5 figures in EUR.

That should be enough to prove that you are not intending to work.

I guess the message to simply have the cash regardless of visa class and history. When folks with good history who meet the immigration rules start being inexplicably denied entry, then is the time to point fingers. 

Edited by jetsetjones
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Tsm12345 said:

Yeah just saw it. Reading it right now. What's the plan moving forward? I'm 24 years old if I didn't mention that earlier and it's of any use. I still don't get how they declined entry despite me having signed up and paid for language school and having all the neccessary papers + a valid ED visa. It's insane.

Wish you the best. This country does not deserve us anymore.

If you have 500000 thb maybe you can get an elite visa form the cell ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

and that includes the vertical stamp?

Actually if he was denied for working they would have used paragraph 3 in Section 12.

3. Having entered into the Kingdom to take occupation as a laborer or to take employment by using physical without skills training or to work in violation of the Ministerial Regulations.

The other guy Kohphanganlover was stamped with that.

• Like 2

Just now, KhaoNiaw said:

My post may have got lost on the last page. But this is what the vertical stamp says:
น่าเชื่อว่าเข้ามาเพื่อประกอบอาชีพ
Believed to be entering in order to work

It seems that only the supervising IO will be able to "clear" the OP's enter to LOS.

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

While I agree that it makes sense for you to try entry at Nong Khai or other land border, it is never the case that there is noway they can decline you.

I suggest that in addition to having at least 20,000 baht to shown you also

1- print out some bank statements showing if possible ATM withdrawals made while in Thailand before, and of course showing current balance of funds

2 - print out anything and everything else that may show means of support (e.g. credit card limit)

3- print out or photocopy anything and everything you have related to your Ed visa: school acceptance letter, receipt for tuition etc etc.

Remember that the IO is concerned with not being blamed by his/her superiors at some future time. I find that Thai government officials always feel reassured by a big mountain of supporting documents even if what they contain doesn't mean all that much - the more attachments, photocopies etc, the more secure they seem to feel. So have all of this.

You may end up not having to use any of this, but better prepared. And while you are about it, make duplicates of all of these as you may well need them if you have to apply for extension of stay under that ED visa.

Lastly - dress up for the crossing, in Thailand especially they judge by appearances. Shoes, no sandals or sneakers (trainers). Full length pants, clean and pressed. Nice shirt, well laundered and pressed . You get the idea.

A great post. IMO, a phone call to anybody from his school would be very helpful. Let Thais speak to Thais is always the easier solution. 

• Like 1

I am confused:

i thought he was heading to Thailand on a ED visa,  so he was going to school?

To get an ed visa dont you need show sufficient money in ur account to support yourself in Thailand while ur in school?

or was that the other guy?

น่าเชื่อว่าเข้ามาเพื่อประกอบอาชีพ
Believed to be entering in order to work

if he had a ed visa why would they  say he was gong to work

Edited by phuketrichard

5 hours ago, ThailandYoda said:

Yes Thai Immigration does have signs with the 20K requirement.

IMG_3528.PNG

What does it mean "hippy" exactly - does it mean it's bad ? 

Should I look like a tourist wearing elephant pants (hippy), or I should look proper (potentially working in Thailand). Confused now what's the best strategy for entering on SETV.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matt199 said:

What does it mean "hippy" exactly - does it mean it's bad ? 

Should I look like a tourist wearing elephant pants (hippy), or I should look proper (potentially working in Thailand). Confused now what's the best strategy for entering on SETV.

Wouldn't it be better to stay on topic?

Edited by Mianoinadme
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

How is it correct if the law states 20k?  the law states 800k for retirees can we ignore that too?

Problem is 800k is enforced by all immigration offices no way round it to be legal every body who stays here long term on the retirement ext route knows this so its not a problem.

20k in cash when entering is not used by all immigration officers. So long term and short term stayers may not know this even exists

So they need to publish this at all crossing points and airports it needs if they are going to use it to be published in all tour operators home and abroad. You can not equate the 800k rule as unless you stay here long term would not know or need to know it. Yet the 20k rule covers everyone short/long/border hoppers everyone. Yet it is not widley known

• Like 1