In detention right now about to be deported

5 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

I am confused:

i thought he was heading to Thailand on a ED visa,  so he was going to school?

To get an ed visa dont you need show sufficient money in ur account to support yourself in Thailand while ur in school?

or was that the other guy?

if he had a ed visa why would they  say he was gong to work

Because it is not uncommon for people to get ED visas as a way of staying in Thailand and then to in fact work. And Imm knows this. They are especially wary of part-time students/people just studying Thai etc; full time students enrolled in degree programs rarely have a problem.

Unless it has been newly introduced, there are no financial requirements for getting an ED visa.

• Like 2

Because it is not uncommon for people to get ED visas as a way of staying in Thailand and then to in fact work. And Imm knows this. They are especially wary of part-time students/people just studying Thai etc; full time students enrolled in degree programs rarely have a problem.

Unless it has been newly introduced, there are no financial requirements for getting an ED visa.

Its not uncommon also for people with thaielite visas to work
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pumpjack said:

not everyones as smart as you :sleepy:

this junta is anti farang ,  they want your money ,   money no1 here .       things are going downhill fast here in thailand , theyre  f*****g themselves and their own people even by the bar closures etc ,      seems the rich thais in power dont give a shit about the poorer farm girls needing to make a living in the bar / entertainment scene,  they will return home to work in the factories or the pick rice for 300 baht a day.   its easy to see they stop the farang coming here then the thais feel the pinch too ,  chinese and russian families / tourists arent investing in thailand or spending large amounts of money here same as the frequent flyer farang coming for a 3 week holiday with a daily cash spend of 5000 - 10000 baht to blow, wether it being blown on drink & hookers or visiting waterparks & temples this money still gets filtered back into the thai economy. 

these 2 guys should have at least been given a warning ,     feel so angry about the way they have been treated by this stupid thai immigration system. 

im just happy to have discovered sihanoukville in cambodia or hanoi and cat bay in vietnam .

and soon to book medellin in colombia for a 3 week stint in january ;-)

there are many better options with attractive much cheaper visa  than thailand if you only look , countries which are happy to see you in and make you welcome. 

i put thailand to the back of my mind these days, 

I'm just curious why you still follow and post on an internet forum titled "THAI Visa" if that is the case.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

print out some bank statements showing if possible ATM withdrawals

Good advice --especially if the OP has spent time in Thailand. ATM withdrawals +/- evidence of funds from abroad being transferred into a Thai bank would help mitigate any suspicion of working 

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Its not uncommon also for people with thaielite visas to work

You're distracting.

ED visa in the past were the easiest visa to obtain and have been abused by people who were working. Thai Elite is a completeky different visa, and of course there will be abuse, but with the financial requirements it is highly unlikely they are being abused as the ED visa.

Just now, Sheryl said:

Hi Sheryl. It seems there actually is a financial requirement to get an ED visa. (From my earlier post a few pages back, with non-relevant content snipped out):

From the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website: (http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html)

3. NON-IMMIGRANT VISA 

1. REQUIREMENT

(snipped)

- to study, to come on a work study tour or observation tour , to participate in projects or seminars , to attend a conference or training course , to study as a foreign Buddhist monk (Category "ED")

(snipped)

2. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED

2.1 The applicants must submit the following relevant documents depending on the purpose of their visit.

(snipped)

- Evidence of adequate finance ( 20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family )

It appears that the applicant is supposed to be able to show he has sufficient funds when he/she applies for the Visa initially, not after it has been granted.

However in the OP's case it seems the IO decided that he should also be able to prove he had 20,000 on arrival and when he couldn't produce that much on the spot, deemed that the OP didn't have adequate funds and was probably going to try and work.

Having the multiple Tourist Visas then the ED Visa in a passport is probably one of those "key" things they look for, and we know that Immigration reads these forums so they have a pretty good idea of what some expats are up to. That is most likely why we need to have cash in the bank for 3 months now when we go to renew our Extensions, and why they cut back on the number of "30 Day" stamps you could get in a row (amongst other things).

Not of help for the OP's case but it would make life easier for both sides if the Thai Government would put the cards on the table and say, okay, everyone with a certain visa history can't be a genuine tourist. You can stay here and do some work, pay your tax on your income and both sides would be happy

As I said before, we (forum members) don’t have all the facts.  We only have one side of the ‘story’, which with no disrespect to the OP can be ‘clouded’ and prejudiced by the events that have suddenly be fronted him.  Unfortunately it’s all too easy to jump to conclusions, which in some cases in this thread have been way off the mark.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, perthperson said:

Can easily be done now-- All that is required is a Thai employer, a "B"visa and work permit ! 

Or a Non-O married to a Thai national. I think it's great that foreigners do not have to have a Non- B that only makes them to dependents of a school or an agency. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 007 RED said:

If the IOs at Swampy are enforcing a ‘rule’ of requiring all visitors to show that they have 20,000BHT cash on their person…. Then it will be fun to see what happens when the next overloaded 747 disgorges its load of zero $ tourist from China.  How many bunk beds have they got in the detention block?

Very doubtful these particular visitors will try and stay long term.....which is the crux of the issue.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Going way over the top now do you want people to bend and kiss there feet as well. How many times have i gone and returned at nong khai in shorts shirt and flip flops. I always carry 20k. Nothing else bank statement wise.

A modicum of perspective is needed here.

Its getting blown out of all proportion now.

I feel the same way.

• A) If you look too proper, then you won't be considered a tourist and more a person who's working illegally.
  • B) If you look too hippy, then you might come off as poor tourist without funds who's working illegally.

If we tried to do a test and put through 100 people doing A & 100 people doing B (assuming same visa history i.e. 4 SETV) I would assume A would come on top. Nevertheless, I doubt that coming from Laos looking like a salesman would necessarily help. It just wouldn't look natural considering what rest of the queue is wearing. It's just my impression. 

Edited by Matt199
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Going way over the top now do you want people to bend and kiss there feet as well. How many times have i gone and returned at nong khai in shorts shirt and flip flops. I always carry 20k. Nothing else bank statement wise.

A modicum of perspective is needed here.

Its getting blown out of all proportion now.

My experience in life is if you look decent and not unkempt, things may have a tendency to go a positive way.

Whether people believe it or not dress/appearance are judged by others, even by Thais. So, it can't hurt to try and look like you care about yourself.

If one looks like a dirt bag, then some may feel that in fact they are.

• Like 2

Just now, bkk6060 said:

My experience in life is if you look decent and not unkempt, things may have a tendency to go a positive way.

Whether people believe it or not dress/appearance are judged by others, even by Thais. So, it can't hurt to try and look like you care about yourself.

"Even by Thais"/// They're not dogs, sorry. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bkk6060 said:

I will always remember an IO who when approached for a tourist visa extension by a lady dressed in skimpy beach attire said "go home, get dressed and then we might be able to help" 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jenifer d said:

seems to me the  power tripping spoken of in this thread and the other recent one is due more to reactions against widespread visa abuse as opposed to necessarily wanting longer-staying farang gone;

for instance many have abused the ED visa as an excuse to stay,

and many are teaching without work permits as well...

even more numbers of people  come here and work illegally while having a tourist visa

(in our province alone it is literally 100's of divers, etc at any given time, among myriad others)-

when you think about it, this appears to be at least some of the reasoning behind the recent bombshell

in last few weeks re immigrants working and more draconian penalties for worker AND employer...

i think they're fine w/those of us who come here not  to work, but to retire and have a good life-

as long as they don't perceive one of us to be abusing or unduly gaming the system

(athough of course that would mean that we are the only ones here who WEREN'T gaming any systems here), 

and of course there is also a large degree of disparity as to how we are perceived depending on who, what, where,

why, and how we are, each of us individually in regards to our actions here...

I guess that we all know of some people who're working here without the right paperwork. But that's more an international problem. 

Why is it called "tourist" then? Do you really believe that all online workers want to pay tax? Would you be allowed to work on a tourist visa in America, or somewhere in Europe? 

You can stay here and do some work, but then on the right type of visa. Even when it's sometimes a pain in the budt to get all documents sorted out.

People who work here aren't genuine tourists. 

Agree with most of it.
However coming to Europe with the intention to do Freelance work means just registering a business which is much easier and less restrictive than in Thailand. And the company belongs 100% you. Just sayin'
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, CLW said:

Agree with most of it.
However coming to Europe with the intention to do Freelance work means just registering a business which is much easier and less restrictive than in Thailand. And the company belongs 100% you. Just sayin'

Yep, you're right. But everybody from a more "developed country" knows that tourists usually make sightseeing tours. But in reality, you can see teachers, dive instructors, online clerks and quite a few more who don't follow these laws. That, on the other hand, might also be the reason for the enforcement of the laws.

There're not so many Thai English teachers on tourist visas working in Europe.......

Edited by Mianoinadme
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

You can wear shorts and shirt and flip flops and look decent. All this toah wear long trousers shoes total hog wash. I wear what i feel comfortable in. Hang whatever anyone else thinks. Same as those who dress in long trousers shies and shirt wear what you want but for christ sake stop trying to make a big deal out of what others wear beacuse you see it as wrong

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dddave said:

I come through Suvarnabhumi a lot and I can not picture an ATM anywhere along the path from the arrivals gates to Immigration, either A,B,C,D side or D, E, F, G.

Perhaps in the transit area?

The first ATM's I see are in Baggage claim.

Walking-through-the-Suvarnabhumi-Airport