Do we have any 80 YO (or over) drivers on this forum?

giddyup

Going for my second 5 year licence shortly, and as I'm 75 I was wondering if 80 year old drivers had to get medical certificates or anything else out of the norm? One thing that concerns me about living here is that I get too old to drive. My area in Pattaya is woefully short of any kind of regular transport, like baht buses, so it could make life very difficult in the future.

Just now, JAS21 said:

If your babe doesn't drive maybe time to get her started ... else it could be 'hoop and stick' in your latter years ...?

She doesn't unfortunately, she had a serious accident when she was first learning to ride a motorbike and it's made her very nervous re driving. Pattaya would have to be one of the worst places in Thailand to learn to drive, traffic is crazy. She's in her early 50's, so I don't know if she has the confidence to try again.

1 minute ago, Henryford said:

Not helpful for the OP but always better to choose accommodation that is on a baht bus route. We all get old.

My mum was still driving at 85..........:smile:....

Am sure if she were still alive she would still be driving..

3 minutes ago, transam said:

My mum was still driving at 85..........:smile:....

Am sure if she were still alive she would still be driving..

Might be OK in rural England but on the roads of Thailand ? i doubt whether i would have the reactions to be a safe driver. My father drove up to 85 but to be honest he was a menace to other road users. I remember as a boy i was knocked off my bike by an 85 year driver who shouldn't have been allowed on the road. 

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

Might be OK in rural England but on the roads of Thailand ? i doubt whether i would have the reactions to be a safe driver. My father drove up to 85 but to be honest he was a menace to other road users. I remember as a boy i was knocked off my bike by an 85 year driver who shouldn't have been allowed on the road. 

Plenty of people get knocked off their bikes by young drivers as well. Some of them shouldn't be allowed on the road.

Back home a movement tried to gain ground to have people over 75 be made to display a sticker on their car "OP" (old person) driver......like the "L" for learner driver or the "R" for restricted driver.

One of the main objections was that theives would be aware that an old person lived in a house that had a car with OP sticker parked in the driveway.

4 hours ago, Henryford said:

Yes, I stopped driving a number of years ago. Vision, hearing and reaction time not what they were and the last thing I would want to do is be responsible for an accident, injuries or worse and property damage. Found an excellent Thai driver whose schedule is sufficiently flexible that he can take me wherever I need to go. Quite happy to let him deal with traffic, parking etc. I drove for 50 years. That's enough. Don't miss it at all.

19 minutes ago, jippytum said:

Regarding the question of medical certificate as they cost such a small fee why not take one anyway .Its not unreasonable to be asked for one at over 70.

Good luck getting the new license

Why get a medical certificate, they mean nothing. I had to get one for my first 1 year licence, the doctor didn't even examine me.

I stopped driving 2 years ago. At 74 I felt I had to, as my blood pressure used to go sky high on even the shortest journey. Best to give up before it gave me up. Thankfully there are two other drivers in the family so no problem getting about.

1 hour ago, Surasak said:

I stopped driving 2 years ago. At 74 I felt I had to, as my blood pressure used to go sky high on even the shortest journey. Best to give up before it gave me up. Thankfully there are two other drivers in the family so no problem getting about.

I don't have the luxury or another driver, but I'm still relaxed behind the wheel, my blood pressure is under control. In 8 years here never had an accident, so must be doing something right.

3 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Yes, I stopped driving a number of years ago. Vision, hearing and reaction time not what they were and the last thing I would want to do is be responsible for an accident, injuries or worse and property damage. Found an excellent Thai driver whose schedule is sufficiently flexible that he can take me wherever I need to go. Quite happy to let him deal with traffic, parking etc. I drove for 50 years. That's enough. Don't miss it at all.

I think I will miss the personal freedom when the time comes. However, I think I have to give it up if I become a danger on the roads to myself and others.

There are some 80 year olds who can drive competently. There are many drivers here in the age range 20 - 70 who should not be allowed to drive anything but a bicycle.

On 7/24/2017 at 6:52 PM, giddyup said:

She doesn't unfortunately, she had a serious accident when she was first learning to ride a motorbike and it's made her very nervous re driving. Pattaya would have to be one of the worst places in Thailand to learn to drive, traffic is crazy. She's in her early 50's, so I don't know if she has the confidence to try again.

I wouldn't worry about it, go to renew your license and if they come up with  some obscure reason not to renew, hire a driver..........backup is try to teach your lady.

Surely a "medical" is required anyway, regardless of age?  I have had to give in a 'doctor's note' every time I have applied for a licence.  They used to provide them in the Land Transport office where you put your paperwork in in my region.  Last time I went they had discontinued the service, and I had to go to my local hospital to get it.  No actual substantive checking involved at all of course.

36 minutes ago, Slip said:

Surely a "medical" is required anyway, regardless of age?  I have had to give in a 'doctor's note' every time I have applied for a licence.  They used to provide them in the Land Transport office where you put your paperwork in in my region.  Last time I went they had discontinued the service, and I had to go to my local hospital to get it.  No actual substantive checking involved at all of course.

No, it isn't, not for the 5 year anyway, it may be required for the first licence, but that was nearly 7 years ago so have forgotten.

Edited by giddyup

At age 76, I am very active and am lucky enough to be in good health.  I have just renewed my 5 year driving licence at Phetchaburi Centre.  I did not need a medical certificate (although I took one with me), or have to retake any driving test or deal with any computer questions, but just had to sit through a ridiculous one hour video supposedly claiming to show what to do and what not to do when driving in Thailand.    (Hilarious!)

Many errors at the centre including one on the notice board showing a large arrow pointing left with the caption "turn right" and an arrow pointing right with the legend "turn left".    

5 hours ago, jippytum said:

Regarding the question of medical certificate as they cost such a small fee why not take one anyway .Its not unreasonable to be asked for one at over 70.

Good luck getting the new license

An annual medical is the best bet and they are not expensive even at a private hospital, unless you have a full house exam which is a good idea the first time. It costs me about 2,500 baht at a private hospital,  including, ECG, scans of all the important bits, X ray, blood and urine tests, etc. If you're running a car an extra 200 baht/mth is a minor overhead.  However, the cost will depend on where you are living.

first ;I was thinking,its a joke.

I am a professional in these matters. Just the idea, that someone at 80 or above (!) is still able to drive a car- sorry it is - how to say- it is not clever and best  ,because one just dont know.

the most important skills, you need to drive a car, are getting worth, starting at about 20 !

with 80, your visus (ability to look) normally is highly  limited.

your reaction time, f.e. how much time you need from having the reason for braking in front of you and  your actual reaction is much much longer.

it is like: when a 18 years old , needs 30 meters to stop the car. a 80 year old would need 60 meters.

especially the ability to see in the dark is limited.

the ability to react in complex situations  ( heavy traffic, unusual circumstances, ...) is very limited. These are the common situations, in which accidents occur.

That you can drive a car in easy situations, lets say in your normal daily ways, doesnt mean, you are still fir for driving.

When do you want to stop? when your next heavy accident will happen?

This may be your first dramatic accident in your life. You want to wait till it will happen.

Pleas do yourself and us a favour and choose a more adequate Place of living. You wait much too long for this.

Good chance, you feel  too old, too handicaped to move to a different place.

But you think, you are still able to drive a car.

1 hour ago, dieter1 said:

first ;I was thinking,its a joke.

I am a professional in these matters. Just the idea, that someone at 80 or above (!) is still able to drive a car- sorry it is - how to say- it is not clever and best  ,because one just dont know.

the most important skills, you need to drive a car, are getting worth, starting at about 20 !

with 80, your visus (ability to look) normally is highly  limited.

your reaction time, f.e. how much time you need from having the reason for braking in front of you and  your actual reaction is much much longer.

it is like: when a 18 years old , needs 30 meters to stop the car. a 80 year old would need 60 meters.

especially the ability to see in the dark is limited.

the ability to react in complex situations  ( heavy traffic, unusual circumstances, ...) is very limited. These are the common situations, in which accidents occur.

That you can drive a car in easy situations, lets say in your normal daily ways, doesnt mean, you are still fir for driving.

When do you want to stop? when your next heavy accident will happen?

This may be your first dramatic accident in your life. You want to wait till it will happen.

Pleas do yourself and us a favour and choose a more adequate Place of living. You wait much too long for this.

Good chance, you feel  too old, too handicaped to move to a different place.

But you think, you are still able to drive a car.

What makes you a professional in these matters?

You can't get a licence in Thailand without passing a test, colour, reaction, perception etc. If you pass, you're fit to drive. You obviously have very fixed views about the elderly, when there is a whole range of capabilities within any age group. I would imagine you don't get too many 80 year olds texting while they're driving, dragging each other off at the lights, eating burgers and slurping on milkshakes while listening to ear splitting music etc. You get the picture.

Research by the RAC Foundation suggests drivers aged 75 and over make up 6% of all licence holders but account for just 4.3% of all deaths and serious injuries. By contrast, drivers aged 16-20 make up just 2.5% of all drivers but 13% of those killed and seriously injured.

Edited by giddyup