Fruit-"Wine" going up in price massively??

moonseeker

5 minutes ago, xylophone said:

It's already got fruit juice in it so surely sweet enough, but then everyone to their own!

5 minutes ago, xylophone said:

It's already got fruit juice in it so surely sweet enough, but then everyone to their own!

I think 90+% of wine has some fruit juice in it.

not all fruit juice is sweet...sour apples and sour

pears used in some wine.

2 hours ago, Thaidream said:

They are redoing the  excise tax on everything and alcohol is one area where it will go up at the retail level but no one seems to know exactly how much. The Government is supposed to announce the rates in August. It seems to be a national secret at the moment.

Thank you for finally answering the OP's post.  

2 hours ago, Thaidream said:

They are redoing the  excise tax on everything and alcohol is one area where it will go up at the retail level but no one seems to know exactly how much. The Government is supposed to announce the rates in August. It seems to be a national secret at the moment.

A few posts on this on the Montclair Wine thread and a couple by a man in the wine industry, Grant Smith, and he outlines the proposed tax legislation which seems convoluted and poss unworkable?

A senior member of the Wine Connection chain has told me to expect a price increase in September..........

9 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The country is broke so hiking tax on fruit wine sounds like a no-brainer for the no-brains running the show.

Yeah, let the no-brains put up wine tax and leave us beer drinkers alone for a change. :burp:

23 minutes ago, little mary sunshine said:

I think 90+% of wine has some fruit juice in it.

Only the cheaper bottled and boxed stuff that we get here..........either produced here with imported grape juice and mixed or already mixed and sent from Oz, France, South Africa, Italy and now New Zealand.

All to get round tax and duty in places like Thailand or to help get rid of surplus and/or inferior stock.

At least the imported stuff clearly states that fruit juice is added, but with the locally produced stuff, the words "Fruit Wine" are hidden away!!

And passion fruit juice and juice of "black fruits" used in others/some wines, esp those bottled in Vietnam and sent here.

From what I understand the tax is applied at the retail level instead of the wholesale level and the percentages being discussed are the maximum over a 20 year period meaning a phasein up to maximum allowed by law. I would think  that if the tax is removed from the wholesale price and tacked on the retail end- wholesale would go down while retail would go up but I doubt it could be extreme as it would force many people to stop purchasing as well as going to bars/clubs driving away locals and tourists.  In addition, if the price hike was too steep there would be wide scale smuggling and home distilleries and brewing. It might be nice if the powers in charge would provide an explanation. If I had a business that depended on alcohol sales- I would need to know pretty darn quick so I could adjust my budget.

1 hour ago, Jonnapat said:

The laughable thing is that 99% of Thais don't drink wine yet this product attracts the highest percentage in tax and the real ""lao"" liver destroyer the least.

Could it be that this is another special tax on foreigners?

All Thai drink wine if you buy if for them :-)

8 hours ago, vogie said:

Has anyone ever tried the 5 litre bottles of wine in Makro, Pattaya. The red and the white are quite good, the red is rosso and the white is bianco, I think, both bottles less than 800 baht each.

ps I know rosso means red and bianco means white.

Reminds me of my years with, "Reunite". If true...hard times for us, "oenophilists" (hey leave me alone, with an M.A. I am supposed to use this term rather than, "wino"!

Several examples of the new ceiling excise tax rates include:

A single cigarette – 5 baht
A litre of beer – 3,000 baht
A litre of carbonated soft drinks – 20 baht
A litre of diesel – 20 baht
A single service at a massage parlour – 1,000 baht
A square metre of space in a nightclub – 1,000 baht

Thank you for the "friendly" answers, I learned a while ago to ignore the rude ones here on the Pattaya forum :-)

Google just cleared some of the question-marks? Good night all and I think until we see in fact the prices going up, the mod's can close that post, if they so wish. Thank you.  MS>

http://asiajack.news/2017/03/01/new-thai-tax-law-set-double-alcohol-prices/

http://asiajack.news/2017/03/01/new-thai-tax-law-set-double-alcohol-prices/

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/EconomyAndTourism/30308016

14 hours ago, KittenKong said:

The only fairly cheap alcohol here is that paint thinner lao khao stuff, and I wont be drinking that in this lifetime.

There would'nt be much left of it after drinking it

11 hours ago, spetersen said:

Fruit wine ? How do you define a grape ? Is't that a fruit or is it something else... Please enlighten me...

It has been established and agreed upon (the definitions of viti-vinicultural products are included in the first part of the International Code of Oenological Practices) that, for an alcoholic beverage to be deemed "Wine" it must contain 100% grape content.

Anything else is to be termed "Fruit Wine".

So that's why most of the casks (boxes) and bottles which contain added fruit juice are clearly labelled........that is apart from those produced by a certain Thai winery.

13 hours ago, fforest1 said:
Several examples of the new ceiling excise tax rates include:

A single cigarette – 5 baht
A litre of beer – 3,000 baht
A litre of carbonated soft drinks – 20 baht
A litre of diesel – 20 baht
A single service at a massage parlour – 1,000 baht
A square metre of space in a nightclub – 1,000 baht

That square metre in a nightclub; horizontal or vertical ?

Under the new regulations, which are based on wholesale rather than retail prices, the tax ceiling of beer with 7 per cent alcohol is increased from 46.50 baht to 178 baht per bottle.

The rate of wine tax will be shifted from between 225 and 2,100 baht to between 519 and 1,482 baht per bottle. White spirits with 40 per cent alcohol, which is a popular drink among the working class class, will be taxed 277 baht per bottle, an increase from the current rate of 137.5 baht per bottle.

22 hours ago, amvet said:

Under the new regulations, which are based on wholesale rather than retail prices, the tax ceiling of beer with 7 per cent alcohol is increased from 46.50 baht to 178 baht per bottle.

The rate of wine tax will be shifted from between 225 and 2,100 baht to between 519 and 1,482 baht per bottle. White spirits with 40 per cent alcohol, which is a popular drink among the working class class, will be taxed 277 baht per bottle, an increase from the current rate of 137.5 baht per bottle.

So since the minimum rate of wine tax will increase from 225 Baht to 519 Baht per bottle, an increase of 294 Baht, does this mean that every bottle of wine sold here will increase by at least 294 Baht? That would mean a standard bottle of Mont Clair or whatever, which currently sells for around 280 Baht a bottle, would more than double in price.

22 hours ago, amvet said:

But as I understand those figures are to be applied over a 20 year period, not in the next tax increase.

On 7/27/2017 at 4:49 PM, bazza73 said:

Who cares? I don't drink wine in Thailand,  because the locally-produced stuff is terrible. The imported stuff is no better - most countries are sending Thailand the rubbish they can't sell in their own country. Then add in transport - even the best imported wines are ruined due to vibration and temperature changes.

Better to stick to whisky and local beer. If I want to drink wine, I'll drink it in Australia.

Each his low so life :-)

• 4 months later...

Nothing is up, prices are getting down actually !

This 199 thb Charles Strong is acceptable for people used to drink sht montclair and acceptable marysol.

https://www.vivino.com/wineries/charles-strong/wines/central-ranges-reserve-classic-bin-991-9999

I find this Charles strong even better than Marysol.

Of course it's not real wine, but enough to get drunk with 1 bottle !

On 7/27/2017 at 10:51 AM, robblok said:

Don't you go messing up peoples idea's with facts... the country is far from broke has a debt ratio many first world countries would kill for.  42,7 percent government debt to gdp. UK 89,3 US over 106,10%  Dutch 62,3%

Is this a useful tool. I had a look at a table where you may have gotten your figures from and noted that the Philippines was lower than Thailand, and many very poor African countries were way lower than your Thailand figure. Libya was Zero!

Edited by tropo

2 hours ago, tropo said:

Is this a useful tool. I had a look at a table where you may have gotten your figures from and noted that the Philippines was lower than Thailand, and many very poor African countries were way lower than your Thailand figure. Libya was Zero!

Tropo, its a useful too if your talking about if  a country is broke or can loan more. You have to also look at the state of development for a country because that debt is used for something. For first world countries its a great too because if you get too high in your loans you will be in trouble one day. That is if the interest ever goes up again, then those with high loans to GDP will have a problem. Why do you think they strive to have a debt ratio of around 60% in the EU, to prevent problems in the future. 

But if you ask if its the all defining tool then no there are many factors to keep in mind to see if a country is doing well. But the people on this thread were talking about Thailand was broke, and Thailand certainly is not broke and is doing ok. It could do better that is for sure but its not doing as bad as some people want it to look. If it was doing so badly the exchange rate would be different too as they would have to loan in foreign currency too. 

5 hours ago, robblok said:

Tropo, its a useful too if your talking about if  a country is broke or can loan more. You have to also look at the state of development for a country because that debt is used for something. For first world countries its a great too because if you get too high in your loans you will be in trouble one day. That is if the interest ever goes up again, then those with high loans to GDP will have a problem. Why do you think they strive to have a debt ratio of around 60% in the EU, to prevent problems in the future. 

But if you ask if its the all defining tool then no there are many factors to keep in mind to see if a country is doing well. But the people on this thread were talking about Thailand was broke, and Thailand certainly is not broke and is doing ok. It could do better that is for sure but its not doing as bad as some people want it to look. If it was doing so badly the exchange rate would be different too as they would have to loan in foreign currency too. 

OK, got it. On its own, it's quite useless, but very useful when many other factors are taken into consideration.