Help...Gecko Droppings On My Car

gillap

Does anyone have a trick to remove a yellow stain left by gecko droppings on my car. The yellow residue seems to penetrate the paint... I've tried every kind of soap, petrol and lately a mild compound! Nothing seems to work. Meanwhile my brand new car has yellow stains!

Park it in the sun ...

Hope this doesn't change to a glass coating debate...

However they just about wipe off my glass coating ☺...

Soak the area with a wet tissue ...just leave it in place for a while... then becareful not to spread the yellow.

The sun should bleach those yellow marks out with time...

Stick some wax on it ... wipe the marks as soon as you notice them ....the yellow spreads easily when wet if fresh ......

Edited by JAS21

I have removed yellowing from white plastic using hydrogen peroxide. It only reacts with organics. Soak a cotton swab with it and wipe it on when in the sunshine. But to be 100% sure try a tiny drop first. As I said it works with white plastic but...

i dont know about the yellow stains now, but how did you remove the poo to start with.  In my experience it is always best to clean when wet. If you do not notice till it is dry, then I use paper towels soaked in water.  placing them on top of every piece for at least 5 min. this will soften things up and then can remove safely.

Thanks guys...I will try the sun bit and the peroxide! I tried wax and compound scratch remover and that doesn't work. Like I said before it seems to penetrate the lacquer coating...powerful stuff!

3 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

I have removed yellowing from white plastic using hydrogen peroxide. It only reacts with organics. Soak a cotton swab with it and wipe it on when in the sunshine. But to be 100% sure try a tiny drop first. As I said it works with white plastic but...

Hydrogen peroxide reacts with a lot of inorganic chemicals, not just organics. It's used to remove sulphur dioxide in wines, for example.

Paint is organic too. The OP would need to test very carefully in case he turns his whole car yellow with peroxide.

7 hours ago, gillap said:

Thanks guys...I will try the sun bit and the peroxide! I tried wax and compound scratch remover and that doesn't work. Like I said before it seems to penetrate the lacquer coating...powerful stuff!

Not being able to see the problem, it sounds like these little mites' feces is acidic, probably from what ever they eat and this has eaten through the clear coat and into the actual duco.   There is no way I'd use peroxide, just try a light cutting compound and if that doesn't work then I'd say you are stuck with the yellowing.  The quick removal (within 4 hours) with the aid of water is the best bet in the first instance and also applies to bird and bat poo. Very acidic also. :wai:

Edited by Si Thea01

17 hours ago, tryasimight said:

You sure it's geckos? Sounds more like bats piss. Big blotch? Very yellow and acidic and will eat into clear coat.

Small yellow dots are normally from gecko ... and they will bleach out, but obviously remove as much as you can by soaking with wet tissue ASAP ... try not to spread the yellow though ... 

I have experience clear coat attack, through the glass coating!! by 'something' more than likely from the rear of a bird ... deposited in Kanchanaburi and on for at least a day and a half including the drive back to BK on a very hot day  ... I managed to remove nearly all the damage and it is at the top edge of the bonnet near the windscreen and basically doesn't show now. This was on a Honda and their clear coating is very soft, especially the Thailand applied one, so beware ....

I got this from a detailer ....We've heard that acid from the bird droppings is the reason for the doo-doo perforations, but a study by UK car care experts Autoglym reveals that the excrement is only part of the problem. The real culprit is the sun, which expands and warms the paint on your vehicle. When the sun hits that bird poop, the poo hardens at the same time the paint expands. When the sun sets and the vehicle cools, the paint then contracts and forms itself around the hardened crap.