Thai media reports devastating rains causing flooding and havoc across Isaan

webfact

Theres going to be a massive rebuild and a massive re think as well in our village . All housing is going to be put on stilts. Those that  cant be for various reasons are going to be dismantled and new using as much recyled materials as possible will be built. Any new dwellings land  will have to be raised to  a minimum of 1.5mtrs (ours was 2mtrs but water was about a mtr up.). Head man has secured money for this (no idea where he got money from) luckily our village is small 20 houses only 14 will have to be raised and out of that 3 dismantled and re built.work started today.  Local builders and local labour of course as a farang I cant help?

Edited by jeab1980

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

I fail to see what possible help Dutch experts could offer the Issan region.

Whilst they are the acknowledged experts in flood control and mitigation, their country has one big advantage compared with the north east of Thailand. They are next to the sea. Excess water that accumulates in Holland is pumped straight out into the sea, much like bailing out a boat on a huge scale.

There is no such solution in Issan. The water cannot be pumped into the, already swollen rivers, so where on earth do you put it?

Short of a massive series of pipes to channel the water down to the sea, or a huge fleet of tankers, neither of which, I think is practical, I do feel that Issan is doomed to repeat flooding during heavy rainfall. It is a victim of its topography and its location.

12 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Theres going to be a massive rebuild and a massive re think as well in our village . All housing is going to be put on stilts. Those that  cant be for various reasons are going to be dismantled and new using as much recyled materials as possible will be built. Any new dwellings land  will have to be raised to  a minimum of 1.5mtrs (ours was 2mtrs but water was about a mtr up.). Head man has secured money for this (no idea where he got money from) luckily our village is small 20 houses only 14 will have to be raised and out of that 3 dismantled and re built.work started today.  Local builders and local labour of course as a farang I cant help?

On 03/08/2017 at 11:59 AM, Skywalker69 said:

Wife is taking Mother in law to Queen Sirikit Heart Center in Khon Kaen the 8th of August, Enybody who know the situation in that area up to date? Thankfull for answers.

Clear no problems there