webfact

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, masuk said:

The average processing time for Malay Immigration is less than 30 seconds.

I've timed them on a few occasions.

Same with Malaysia's payment system on their motorways, the Touch'n Go system is also perfect, compared to the Toll ways in and around Bangkok, where you have to wait for ages sometimes because they have to collect cash from most vehicles.

Edited by HiSoLowSoNoSo

http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/1856-suvarnabhumi-priority-lane-services

This has always been the case in Immigration and has nothing to do with the current scheme with Auto computers

This is something new but doomed to fail if they do not implement it properly

They have something like this in the USA very fast and is also good for Visa holders to pass through as well

But I doubt it will be implemented like the USA because it is too logical 

40 minutes ago, HappyinNE said:

On arriving and approaching the passport check go to the far right hand side.  I just go over there and tell them "Old Mans Check in" and am directed to a line with usually on one in it.  I have one time unfortunately got behind a family that was AFU and it took a bit of time but this is the quick way.

i'm not over 70 so i haven't used this benefit.  however, i used to have access to the 'fast track' lane in the arrivals hall near the C concourse.  and it sounds like you are describing this lane.  i don't think there is one in the arrivals hall near concourse E but it has been a couple years since i used that one.  most importantly, it appears that those over 70 can use the 'premium lane' which is a totally separate arrivals hall.  i think the one near C is hall 1 and the one near E is hall 3.  the premium lane is hall 2 in between the other two.  this might not be any faster than the lane you are using but thought i'd point it out.

I would think that the businesses at airports are best placed to urge Immigration to speed up procedures for outward journeys. Every extra minute spent in a queue is a minute less in a store or restaurant.

I've not been outside Thailand for the last 9 years.. I can't even do my 90 days online... 

I don't give it much hope.. 

Thai immigration like the hands on approach and mountains of paperwork,

it guarantees employment and a good revenue source.

Automation is a step away from that !

4 hours ago, wvavin said:

Don't need to waste any resources, just ask Singapore how they do it and all travelers are happy because their systems are designed & planned with BRAINS!

I have always said that Singapore has advanced more in 50 years compared to Thailand's 600 years!

Anything to improve the current long queues is welcome.  Immigration is simply unable to cope with the high numbers of visitors from China.

The Immigration staff try to cope, but there's not enough.  Resource planning can't be that hard, as the flights don't arrive at random.  This photo was last week, and at the time 8 booths were unmanned.

597ed87f76241_Airportq.jpg.0f1caf80846100b0af0d16f6e67eb6dc.jpg

I've made 8 trips from NYC to BKK in the last 3 years using award miles for business/first class flights. Everyone gets a priority lane voucher. When I fly it's mostly Cathay but I've also flown JAL. You walk until you get to the first turnoff for immigration. Most people go into there. You should keep going straight about 60-70 meters further. You'll usually pass a group of people filling out visa on arrival forms. Keep going straight and about 10-15 meters further is the priority lane. Go up the ramp and there's usually 3-5 immigration agents. Longest line ever was maybe 4 people in front of me. Usually it's only one or two.

You can also use the priority lane to exit. It's right at the end of the lane that has Cathay Pacific check in. Just left last Thursday. Girlfriend dropped  me off and took 3 minutes to check in with Cathay (business class). Walked to end of the lane. Took about 4 minutes to get through security. Less than 5 minutes later I was through immigration. 

Fortunately I got a tremendous amount of miles 3 years ago when Citi and Chase were giving the miles away by the hundreds of thousands. Much harder to get miles now and can only get enough for 1 free RT per year but still have a decent amount left. Hope they keep the 70+ rule for priority lane because in 7 years I'll get to use which is about the time I'll run out of miles for free trips.

2 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Anything to improve the current long queues is welcome.  Immigration is simply unable to cope with the high numbers of visitors from China.

The Immigration staff try to cope, but there's not enough.  Resource planning can't be that hard, as the flights don't arrive at random.  This photo was last week, and at the time 8 booths were unmanned.

597ed87f76241_Airportq.jpg.0f1caf80846100b0af0d16f6e67eb6dc.jpg

I'm guessing the first step will be to issue ear plugs to the IOs given the inability of groups of Chinese to talk at anything below 'Volume: Maximum".

Singapore, HK visitors to enjoy fast immigration

By MAYUREE SUKYINGCHAROENWONG 
THE NATION

77f2db49db988f0b8b80d18ee4493c27.jpg

Photo from: www.suvarnabhumiairport.com

BANGKOK: -- VISITORS FROM Singapore and Hong Kong will soon be breezing through immigration at Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang international airports as authorities implement a new scheme to allow them to use automatic passport scanners currently reserved for Thai nationals.

Immigration bureau commissioner Pol Lt-General Nathathorn Prousoontorn said the move would reduce the immigration processing time per person from about one minute to 20 to 30 seconds, and eligible visitors would not have to queue for about 30 minutes as is now the case.

“We plan to introduce this new system for those from Singapore and Hong Kong this month or next month. Cooperation with Singapore on the matter is nearly 100 per cent complete, but for Hong Kong we need more discussions,” he told The Nation.

There are a total of 52 automatic passport check machines at Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang, some of which will be allocated for foreigners. Nathathorn said they were currently available for Thai nationals on arrival and departure, but only 70 per cent of them used the machines.

Software will be installed on the machines so they can also read information on the passports of the foreign visitors. The system will later be extended to border checkpoints in Nong Khai and Sa Kaew provinces.

“Those who want to use the privileges will be required to register with the Thai immigration office before they come to Thailand, so we can upload their information to our system,” Nathathorn said. “Once registered, they will be able to enjoy the privileges when they enter and exit the country.”

Visitors from Hong Kong and Singapore were chosen to use the machines because they made more frequent visits to Thailand compared to people from other countries.

“It is true that 9 million Chinese tourists visit Thailand each year, while visitors from Hong Kong and Singapore were much fewer – about 1 million,” Nathathorn said. “But Chinese tourists usually visit Thailand once and never come back. Those from Hong Kong and Singapore come here several times per year.”

The bureau plans to expand the privilege to countries with no-visa requirements such as Australia and parts of Europe. However because of security concerns, it will not be available to visitors from parts of the Middle East, South Asia and Africa.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30322379

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-01

19 hours ago, wvavin said:

Don't need to waste any resources, just ask Singapore how they do it and all travelers are happy because their systems are designed & planned with BRAINS!

And they even don't ask you about your yearly income.

But in Singapore they only needed my fingerprint when i left the country, not when i came in. The officer also couldn't explain why that was.

Hong Kong has an automated scanner but you need to be registered as a frequent visitor and for that at least 3 visits per year. Australia also has an automated system but for that your visa needs a prior online registration.

23 hours ago, webfact said:

The programme would later be expanded to countries with no-visa requirement such as Australia, New Zealand and some European countries.

So UK and USA, two of the countries with the largest number of visitors don't get in on it eh?

They have them in the UK and for some reason never work with me. They don't seem particularly fast, if anything with the confusion they cause and problems I believe an immigration officer handles people faster. They seem to have to have a few on hand to help with using the machines as well. Here in Thailand I can see a bit of confusion already figuring out who can and who cannot use them. If they were for Thais and Asean, I guess they could free up some channels.

I see the OP picture was of check-in queues, they don't want pictures taking at immigration and have notices warning you not to.

Edited by jacko45k

21 hours ago, mikebell said:

Only slightly connected to the topic: I remember reading that over 70s passengers are given preferential treatment at Emigration but do not know how to avail myself of this service.  Any assistance please?

Just go stand in the over 70 lineup. It's the short one far right at swampy.