"hidden" "ethnic" Restaurant Wonders Of Pattaya!

Jingthing

OK, I will admit I have had better Belgian mussels in Europe and the US than these three places, but all three are more than servicable for all you Belgophiles (is that a word?)

guess it is now

Glad I could help with the continued bastardization of our favorite language ...

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny you should mention Belgian food!

I just had me some yummy mussels tonight at:

-Sanong's Brussels resto 504/523 Moo 10 Pattaya soi 17 (in front of yensabai condo)

They do a set menu under 200 baht, includes salad (quite decent), main course, Belgian fries with mayo sauce, and choice of desert or coffee.

This is a good find, it was mentioned before on this forum. Resto was filled with French speaking people, and I take that as a good sign.

The mussels themselves were exceptionally plump and tasty. I was sad that I didn't taste any wine in the steam sauce.

I agree that Patricks is a good Belgian place. They have a mussel special on Friday nights I think and of course also has good Belgian fries. I like the goulash croquettes there.

Yet another place for Belgian mussels is at a place owned by a Dutchman, at the Renoir Restaurant of the Flamingo Hotel. The mussels are on Friday night only and the set includes a salad bar, and fries with a nice mustard dip. Reniors is on the Flamingo Hotel Soi (near Tukcom) right off Pattaya Tai, South Pattaya.

OK, I will admit I have had better Belgian mussels in Europe and the US than these three places, but all three are more than servicable for all you Belgophiles (is that a word?)

Thanks for the info about the other two restaurants. Good to know.

On a side note: You should be careful about who you call "Belgophile". At the very least, a repeated offence would merit swords to death at 11.00 am (can't be bothered to get up at sunrise!!!?) :o

A question now; Mrs Robski's birthday is on 7th of Jan and mine's on the 8th, what I'd like to do is go first to a buffet to eat, there's a good one on south pattaya road above third road on the right hand side, but I want something a bit classsy and still thai style, does anyone know of any perhaps near the centre that aren't too touristy?

Cheers and happy eating.

Congratulations on sharing a birthday with some of the greatest :

Elvis, would have been 72.

Jacques Anquetil, would also have been 72.

Shirley Bassey, 71.

David Bowie, 60.

Steven Hawkinge, also 60.

And yours truly, surviving in Saudi, but feeling 110. :o

Lets try and keep this thread going. It's such a good idea, and there must be literaly dozens of hidden gems of food places scattered around and near town.

My problem is that I do know of a few, but couldn't tell you their names, and whenever I go looking for them I can't remember exactly where they are and it takes a while to relocate them, so it woudl be useless me trying to post directions. However, whenever I re-vist, I will try to write down the location and post it here.

Just to keep things rolling along, there used to be quite a large Vietnamese restaurant on the left side of Sukhmuvit Road, just past the Pattaya Nua turning, going towards Bangkok. I went there once with the wife and although I'm not an expert on Vietnam cuisine, it tasted pretty good to me. Anyone know the name?

And for something completely different, the Caddy Shack, opposite The Harley Bar in Jomtien (just round the corner from the Lnad Office), has the best home made English pies I have tasted anywhere in Thailand.

I'll try to post here every week or so, so come on food Connoisseurs, let's keep it rolling...... :o

Edited by Mobi D'Ark

Far from exotic is the Big Horn Steakhouse on Soi Diana which offers a 99 bt fixed menu from noon until 5pm. daily which is always quite good and just the right amount. The dish comes with salad and bread.

You can sit inside for air conditioning or on their little patio. There are aggressive Indian tailors on both ends of the little mall which you must walk through to get to Big Horn's doors.

http://www.bighornsteakhouse.com/

Edited by PATTAYAPUNTER

I wrote this a while ago....still use the place ...there is a lot of building going on around it now.

Soh Larb Pbet....you won’t break the bank here!

Please forgive the approximate spelling, but I thought it well worth mentioning this restaurant specializing in Issan food. Larb Pbet is a minced duck dish usually eaten with sticky rice and some raw veggies as a side salad these are served with a spicy dip too.. This place in a back street of Pattaya does some of the best larb I've tasted...they does various flavours....duck, pork and even frog! Another great one is Yam Pla Duc Ful (??), which is a catfish salad consisting of catfish fried at high temperature served with spicy salad and peanuts. The grilled beef (Nua Yang) is usually a bit chewy but always tasty. Other items on the English language menu include "bull’s penis" soup, various frog dishes and some startlingly hot Som Tam. Beer is only available in big bottles. With a beer 2 should eat for 3 to 500 baht.

A covered open-air establishment, the furniture is basic; bamboo chairs and tables, although they do have air-conned VIP rooms for karaoke. There are fish tanks around for decoration and some catfish in an artificial stream. The staff don’t usually speak much English, so be prepared to point and mime the mime for “Not too HOT!’

How to get there......Start from the Carrefour supermarket crossroads on Pattaya Klang. Take the road off called "Paniad Chang" and continue along to Soi 8 on the left, follow this Soi and take the second lane on the right, the restaurant is down this rough old track (a cul-de-sac) about 40 meters on the left...there is somewhere to park.

best pad thai, only 25 baht, just as you turn into soi nern plhap waan (suk 53) from suk road , it is barely 10 meters up the road on your left, only a little stall and doesn't open till 5 or 6pm, but you can see the cart parked there in the daytime. just look for the queues when the stall opens, mainly Thais but a few farangs know about it and probably a few more now.

Yep the PadThai from this stall is excellent.. The Stall is called '' PadThai SukoThai '' Sorry can't write Thai script on this PC. Its a little different from the PadThai available elsewhere cos they add ''Muu Daeng'' (Chinese style red roasted pork) and ''nang muu grob'' (crispy pork cracklings) If you buy a packet to take home careful as you unwrap it as there will be a couple of teaspoons full of Prik pon (roasted chilli powder) and sugar inside the package.. You can ask for no chilli ( mai sai prik pon khrap) if you don't like it too spicy (but I like it sweet and hot like da Thais)

Many of my Thaifriends have raved about the taste when I showed them the stall.

Another good place that has just opened is on the left hand side of Pattaya nua just after the traffic lights for third rd (heading towards Sukhumvit) It sells excellent muu satay (pork satay) there is a big sign outside above the groundfloor shophouse (its in Thai so you may need a wife/GF) but excellent taste and peanut sauce isn't too sweet..price is right too..

Enjoy... great thread idea too.

Excellent pad thai also with red pork and scratchings is available on south road outside the family mart opposite the entrance to soi Hollywood.

Apologies in advance for poor directions but if you have a Thai person on board you will have no trouble finding it.

The name is Mhum Aroi, and it is a large Seafood restaurant on the outskirts of Na Klua, a little before the Rayong turn off.

This place is so popular with Thais, especially on weekends, that it is often very difficult to get a table, unless you book and are prepared to go at 6 p.m.

The large sign (in Thai) is on the main Sukhumvit highway, and you take a left and follow the soi right down to a T junction, where you turn right and the restaurant is a few meters away, complete with large car park.

There is a good live Thai band, and tables border a large swimming pool, and others overlook the sea. The food is excellent, and is very reasonably priced, which accounts for them being so busy. The ambience is excellent, with the music not over-loud.

I understand there is also a Mhum Aroi in Bangkok.

Their phone number is 038 223252 if you want to book or need better directions.

As an ex-San Franciscan, something I miss in Pattaya is really good authentic Chinese Chinese food (as opposed to Thai-Chinese food).

Anybody have some tips on real Chinese restaurants? Specifically, I would like to find Chinese clay pot dishes such as this:

http://onokinegrindz.typepad.com/photos/un.../tonkiang5a.jpg

(Thats one example, there are hundreds of variations.)

I used to like the dim sum lunch at the Montien Hotel Chinese restaurant quite good. Anyone been lately?

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a good one I've been to a few times.

It's "Ruan Mai" (Wooden House) - a Thai resataurant , serving a wide variety of excellent Thai food, including a range of noodles (their speciality) at reasoanble prices in a place with good ambience.

The location is on Sukhumvit Road, going south, on the left hand side, about 500 meters past the Jomtien (Tesco) turn off. The restaurant sign is in Thai, and also has a large Coke sign in Thai. It is about 300 meters past the Caltex station on the right, and is adjacent to a large Daikin sign (which is in the middle of the road). Just past it is a used car lot. You can park on the road outside the restaaurant.

Inside the restaurant is very spacious, with a large central area, and with more covered seating next to a large fish pond with ancient fishing boats moored up.

It is almost 100% Thai clientele , (with the odd farang with his girl friend/wife), but the menu is is in Englsih and Thai. They are always quite busy (a good sign), and the service is very good and fast.

Try it for lunch one day - you won't be disappointed.

I like the Middle East places between Walking Street and Second Road behind the Blues Factory. No specific recommendation, though.

As for Indian, the one on Beach Road near Tip Plaza is not bad. Still, no Indian restaurant in town really convinced me, but will try the Buffet mentioned earlier in this thread any time soon.

Is "Thai" ethnic in Thailand?

THis one is Issan anyway so that's ethnic.....

Soh Larb Pbet....you won’t break the bank here!

Please forgive the approximate spelling, but I thought it well worth mentioning this restaurant specializing in Issan food. Larb Pbet is a minced duck dish usually eaten with sticky rice and some raw veggies as a side salad these are served with a spicy dip too.. This place in a back street of Pattaya does some of the best larb I've tasted...they does various flavours....duck, pork and even frog! Another great one is Yam Pla Duc Ful (??), which is a catfish salad consisting of catfish fried at high temperature served with spicy salad and peanuts. The grilled beef (Nua Yang) is usually a bit chewy but always tasty. Other items on the English language menu include bull’s penis soup, various frog dishes and some startlingly hot Som Tam. Beer is only available in big bottles. With a beer 2 should eat for 3 to 500 baht.

A covered open-air establishment, the furniture is basic; bamboo chairs and tables, although they do have air-conned VIP rooms for karaoke. There are fish tanks around for decoration and some catfish in an artificial stream. The staff don’t usually speak much English, so be prepared to point and mime the mime for “Not too HOT!’

How to get there......Start from the Carrefour supermarket crossroads on Pattaya Klang. Take the road off called "Paniad Chang" and continue along to Soi 8 on the left, follow this Soi and take the second lane on the right, the restaurant is down this rough old track (a cul-de-sac) about 40 meters on the left...there is somewhere to park.

WOW dude - GOOD TOPIC.

someone should start a street food club :-))

ok here are mine:

absolute best noodle soup (koey tiaw nam) [sen lek/yai and bah mee]. soi bukhao across from the popular gold shop. it is chinese style so very clear and light. she uses all sorts of ingredients that others dont bother. open morning early pm.

two doors down and across from less popular gold shop is a place that serves standard dishes. good quality, low price and now popular with farang.

heres another: great/fresh nam tok moo. ive been out of thai/pattay for months so this stand may be gone and huge hotel in its place. the vacant area where the fair often comes and where the two HUGE condos were to be built. its a stand in back of the noodle/khao mun gai stands.

heres another: STICKYB i second the guy in tuk com BUT... i find his stuff plain and unimpressive (it might be tasty (??). just quite typical and since tukcom food mall - i get more food and cheaper at the place above AND is closer (lesser gold shop). BUT.... i go out of my way to see him ever 3 days becasue he is only place that has gai khao soi YUMMMMMMY.

finally: night market find the youngish/semi-attractive and hard working (!) woman who serves up the best phad thai in pattaya. she also does hawy thot (fired oyster) that is great!

the nigh market has standard fare but i love it. its my evening kitchen table and the thais smirk seeing me every night consistantly, ive developed a bit of respect there. its funny...if i take away everyone i pass on the way back to my room want to know whats inthe bag. they especially crack up if its some weird issarn food.

the night market in nakula is very nice too eat outside. not many offering but if you want to bring someone to eat in night market and need clean and organized. a good stop. b10 from dolphin north and back.

Edited by jinjok

> mai-ow too row-tt

Huh.. MSG = "phong choo rot" But indeed 'ayinomoto' is a good second option. :o

But indeed a great topic!! I'm reading this with great interest.

One thing though that I'd desperately want to know: GREAT but relatively inexpensive seafood restaurants. I always liked the Vientiane when it was on Second Road, something like that.

I always end up going to Pattaya, then the Mrs. especting seafood since were mere yards away from the ocean, but end up paying more for seafood than we would at home in Chiang Mai which is 800 kms to the nearest shore..

Cheers,

Chanchao

I always liked the Vientiane when it was on Second Road, something like that.

I always end up going to Pattaya, then the Mrs. especting seafood since were mere yards away from the ocean, but end up paying more for seafood than we would at home in Chiang Mai which is 800 kms to the nearest shore..

Cheers,

Chanchao

I don't know if it's the same place, Chanchao, but there is a very large restaurant called the "Vientenne" on Pattaya Tai, just west of the Pattaya Tai entrance to Big C. We've eaten there twice, and it is outstanding. They have a very large menu, with excellent, inexpensive seafood variety. Give it a try.

The restaurant just before the Naklua Market, on Naklua Road, is also very good for seafood. I forget the name of it. If you park in the Naklua Market lot, you can walk the short distance back to the restaurant either through the park, or along Naklua Road.

> just west of the Pattaya Tai entrance to Big C.

There's a Big C on/near Pattaya Tai ? I only know a big C on the North end of Second Road. So where would the restaurant be relative to the intersection of South Pattaya road with Second (or Third) road?

Cheers,

Chanchao

> mai-ow too row-tt

One thing though that I'd desperately want to know: GREAT but relatively inexpensive seafood restaurants. I always liked the Vientiane when it was on Second Road, something like that.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Hi Chanchao,

I think if you look back through this thread, you will find a number of recommendations for Sea Food restaurants , including one of my favourites - the one on stilts at Bang Sarae, and one I recommended North of Naklua - both of which reasonably priced - maybe 30 - 50% of the price you would pay in a Walking Street sea food place.

I used to recommend Moom Aroi...they have one on 3rd, one at Naklua and one at Sri Racha.......but recently I got a posting the Naklua one had really gone down hill...I haven't eaten there (Naklua) for about 3 months, but it had a wonderful range of Som Tams.......

> mai-ow too row-tt

Cheers,

Chanchao

Hi Chanchao,

I think if you look back through this thread, you will find a number of recommendations for Sea Food restaurants , including one of my favourites - the one on stilts at Bang Sarae, and one I recommended North of Naklua - both of which reasonably priced - maybe 30 - 50% of the price you would pay in a Walking Street sea food place.

Went to Preecha Seafood in bang Saray after reading about it here , food was good but I found it to be right on par cost wise as with Nang Nual on Walking St.

> just west of the Pattaya Tai entrance to Big C.

There's a Big C on/near Pattaya Tai ? I only know a big C on the North end of Second Road. So where would the restaurant be relative to the intersection of South Pattaya road with Second (or Third) road?

Cheers,

Chanchao

Either you haven't been in town long, Chanchao, or you don't get around much. There are, indeed, two Big C stores in Pattaya. The one I'm talking about is located on the southwest corner of the intersection of Sukhumvit and Pattaya Tai. Pattaya Tai IS "South Pattaya road"! So, from the intersection of "South Pattaya road" and Third road, you should go east, toward Sukhumvit. As you approach Sukhumvit (about 200 meters before it), you'll see a big yellow "Captains" sign on the side of a building on your right. The entrance to the Vientienne restaurant is the dirt road there. Just turn right, and you'll see the restaurant on the left, as you drive in.

As I said, a huge menu, including lots of great seafood. Everything is very reasonably priced.

Hope you try it, and report your experience here.

I also want to highly recommend one of my favorite "local" (for me) restaurants. It's called 'Rung Thip". It is located near the east end of Nern Plubwarn Road. (That's Soi Sukhumvit 53, just north of Pattaya Klang.) The menu is both Thai and "Western". They're open from breakfast (about 9:00 AM) until about 10 PM. We eat dinner there once or twice a week, and I enjoy both the Thai and Western food. I'd specifically recommend the Larb Gai (ground chicken salad) on the Thai menu; and the Sea Bass steak on the western menu. But the important thing is that they do a good job on just about everything; so order to your own taste from the menu. Drive down Nern Plubwarn about 4 Kms. You'll come to a 45 degree right turn, and the restaurant is right at the corner, on your left. It has rows of colored "Christmas" lights that you really can't miss. Oh yeah, they keep their beer about as cold as any place I've found in all of Pattaya!