Samsung J2

Chivas

Am being slightly hamstrung having bought the phone in thailand with the limited 8gb internal memory. The pre installed stuff is taking up 4.45gb of which 90% I will never use. Have got 16gb sd card but it doesnt appear to allow apps to be installed to it ??  Ive only got 12 apps other than pre installed and its full.

If I try to remove preinstalled stuff it doesnt give me the option to uninstall only disable (with warnings) or will that actually free up memory anyway if i disable....??   I have had a 8gb Chinese phone before which was fine because of the lack of pre installed stuff hence the reason thought 8gb would be fine

Edited by Chivas

Rather than put the apps on the memory card will it allow you to extend the physical memory to the card Nb permanently?! You won't be able to reuse the card but you could extend the phones memory. I think anything post Android 6 operating system should allow this. Check it out on YouTube good luck

Sent from my CUBOT_NOTE_S using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, amvet said:

The Samsung Galaxy J2 is powered by 1.3GHz quad-core Exynos 3475 processor and it comes with 1GB of RAM. The phone packs 8GB of internal storage that can be expanded up to 128GB via a microSD card.

I' m impressed ....

3 hours ago, amvet said:

The Samsung Galaxy J2 is powered by 1.3GHz quad-core Exynos 3475 processor and it comes with 1GB of RAM. The phone packs 8GB of internal storage that can be expanded up to 128GB via a microSD card.

ok fair enough and ive got a 16gb sd card inserted but i still cant add further apps  !

9 hours ago, Chivas said:

ok fair enough and ive got a 16gb sd card inserted but i still cant add further apps  !

Don't know without looking but first format the SD card and then go to Settings, Application manager and click on each app and then click storage and move all that you can to the SD card.  Doing this should free up some memory.

I think I recall reading that Samsung blocks using the sd card as internal memory, as is possible with a less skinned version of Marshmallow. Also, no apps on the card. Only photos and videos can go on the card..

I know someone with this phone. IMHO the phone is just barely usable because of the inability to delete Samsung bloatware.

Having it rooted is an option, but selling it would be a better option...

4 hours ago, amvet said:

Don't know without looking but first format the SD card and then go to Settings, Application manager and click on each app and then click storage and move all that you can to the SD card.  Doing this should free up some memory.

Hold on I'm bright in general lol but you're talking talking double dutch. Format the SD Card....??   At the moment its in the J2. Take it out its in my hand.....then what ??

Thanks for assistance should have said that before

1 hour ago, bobbin said:

I think I recall reading that Samsung blocks using the sd card as internal memory, as is possible with a less skinned version of Marshmallow. Also, no apps on the card. Only photos and videos can go on the card..

I know someone with this phone. IMHO the phone is just barely usable because of the inability to delete Samsung bloatware.

Having it rooted is an option, but selling it would be a better option...

I think you may be right......its immaculate unmarked as got covers on back and front plus have the box etc etc. Might just sell it on ebay as grade A unmarked virtually unused

Edited by Chivas

I too have a J2 and suffered the same frustrations.

The J2 only runs Android 5..1.1 on official ROMs so using the SD card to extend the storage for the system (adoptable storage) is not an option.  Even if it were a higher Android version, I don't think Samsung support it. 

I eventually rooted my device, which would invalidated my warranty had it not already expired which allowed me to remove a lot of the crap that came with my device but even now the storage is insufficient, really.

I'd agree, sell it and buy a better higher spec'ed phone.

8 hours ago, Chivas said:

Hold on I'm bright in general lol but you're talking talking double dutch. Format the SD Card....??   At the moment its in the J2. Take it out its in my hand.....then what ??

Thanks for assistance should have said that before

From a Home screen, navigate: Apps > Settings > Storage.

Tap SD card.

Tap Format.

Tap Format to confirm.

Tap Done.

Or google format SD card on Samsung J2

Then root it and upgrade to Marshmallow. 

Or you could get a Thai 12 year old to do the above. 

You do run the risk of turning your phone into a paperweight. 

Google can help you do most things with a phone just type in your questions. 

Edited by amvet

On 8/10/2017 at 1:28 AM, SheungWan said:

What the OP is discovering is that cheaper phones come with limitations and memory for apps is one of those limitations.

No what the OP is finding is its come pre bundled with a bunch of crap that apart from facebook and youtube will never get used

On 8/10/2017 at 1:28 AM, SheungWan said:

What the OP is discovering is that cheaper phones come with limitations and memory for apps is one of those limitations.

7 hours ago, Chivas said:

No what the OP is finding is its come pre bundled with a bunch of crap that apart from facebook and youtube will never get used

Is certainly not a factor in (more expensive) phones with more RAM. These days I wouldn't recommend anything less than 32gb.

Edited by SheungWan

14 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Is certainly not a factor in (more expensive) phones with more RAM. These days I wouldn't recommend anything less than 32gb.

Well my chinese phone of before had 8gb of internal storage (with a 16gb sd card as well) but the internal never once went past 5,xx even with all the apps loaded. I cant imagine why anyone would need 32gb for unless they storing video after video,

I think Samsung have fuxxxx on this phone. If you're going Android rather than Iphone certainly Samsung come near the top of choices I doubt few would disagree. Now I dont know what the manufacturer cost is to have 16gb instead of 8gb but I bet its negligible....on that basis why give people buying samsung for the first time such a negative experience......they know how little app space is available makes no sense  in my opinion.

Edited by Chivas

• 2 weeks later...

Right am pissed off with this piece of junk.......somebody tell me step by step how to flash it.....??  Just googled and am getting 3 different instructions.....if it goes tits up am not bothered. How Samsung can produce what is really a perfect bit of kit bar the all important storage for apps is beyond me

Edited by Chivas

On 25/08/2017 at 4:40 PM, Chivas said:

Right am pissed off with this piece of junk.......somebody tell me step by step how to flash it.....??  Just googled and am getting 3 different instructions.....if it goes tits up am not bothered. How Samsung can produce what is really a perfect bit of kit bar the all important storage for apps is beyond me

http://www.androidinfotech.com/2016/07/root-samsung-galaxy-j2-sm-j200gu-511.html

Then you can install a system app remover from playstore and get rid of the crap.

On 8/30/2017 at 4:42 PM, JaiMaai said:

This what I did. But realistically I need to get a new phone with at least 16GB of storage.

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk

I'm going to sell it on Ebay as its pristine has had covers on front and back and in interim will get the j5.....love the Samsung but storage on the J2 is bizarre with all the unwanted crap on it