Pattaya cabbie knocks out foreign tourist who grabbed his shirt

webfact

5 hours ago, TVGerry said:

I don't actually. But I've always notice the <deleted> here who are more than willing to give the foreigners the benefit of the doubt. You may be wrong, I may be wrong but in this case, the taxi driver could be in the right and the idiot who got beat down deserved it. 

Perhaps you should take a vacation from this country. You need to spend some time away from the locals you probably despise.

ok I have got to ask since you seem to be Da'man on this thread

What do you actually think went on ? 

what we know so far

- 2nd road someone crossing

- taxi driver in his taxi - we will presume he was driving

- then someone that was crossing 2nd road ended up standing in front of said driven taxi

- taxi driver got out of his vehicle

altercation takes place

can you fill in the gaps ?

I don't see any

the guy was crossing and nearly got run over and got angry about ti..........as I said above - this happens all the time on 2nd road.......it is dangerous because everyone wants to be where they are going regardless .................oh yes to save maybe 2mins at the most they are willing to run people down 

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, Dobredin Ghusputin said:

Clearly obstructing performance of a good deed in progress.

That poor cabbie was probably just going about his daily business returning lost handbags full of $$$$ and jewellery to their rightful owners.

At least it puts an end to the stories that a Thai man needs at least 10 friends before fighting with a Foreigner?

15 hours ago, TVGerry said:

Why? The tourist acted like a <deleted> and got punched out. I think wherever in the world you are, act like a punk, you get beaten like a punk.

And most likely the taxidriver use a weapon,i know the thai taxidrivers, you dont i see

Frustrating road to cross Second Rd.

Frustrating place to drive too.

Not enough information here except what is written suggests the tourist laid his hands on the driver and should not have.

What happened before would be speculation... why did the driver get out of his vehicle?

14 hours ago, nasanews said:

It is totally stupid to blame the taxi driver.

It is totally stupid to come to any conclusion unless you were there to witness what happened?

Oh yeah, just because the Taxi driver said it happened that way, let's just believe him, cause Thai's never lie!!

Well if this story is reported correctly, can't blame the cabbie. Someone stops your car in the middle of the road and starts hitting it, then grabs you by the collar, I'd have the same reaction. Been grabbed by the collar/ throat before by a stranger, and it wasn't for a welcome to country kiss! 

There are very very few crosswalks on 2nd Road. And from South Pattaya Road to Central Pattaya Road, it is a few kilometers with no stop lights, and the Thais take all advantage of this like they thought they were on Sukhumvit, with speeds easily exceeding 80kph.

it seems to be more concentrated in Pattaya but a lot of Thai's like to let the foreigner know who owns the turf, whether walking or driving, they steer straight for you as if they are sending a message saying I am more important than you! it is not all but enough so as you can notice, and the fact that speed limits are optional only makes crossing the road a constant game of "Russian Roulette " . but who was at fault here I doubt we will ever know, unless the Foreigner has his say.  as I remember the American who was supposed to have been at fault in a taxi incident in Bangkok when the taxi driver said he was attacked

but CCTV  footage showed the taxi driver chasing the American with a samurai sword which he had got from his boot/trunk and after the convicted druggy driver had killed the respectable American businessman he threw the sword into the canal..

and even then it was reported in Thailand it was a knife.....so a lot of stories get twisted here.  

Edited by zoza
sticking key

16 hours ago, TVGerry said:

Why? The tourist acted like a <deleted> and got punched out. I think wherever in the world you are, act like a punk, you get beaten like a punk.

So you believe everything the taxi thug said? If he'd have stayed in the car, nothing would have happened.

All too keen for any excuse to fight imho.

15 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Absolutely spot on Smed's old boy .. Trying to cross 2nd road ( particularly at night ) is a treacherous experience .. even if the large vehicles slow or stop for you its  the mental motorcyclists who will take you out .. Subway's or footbridges ( as they have in provincial cities and Bangkok ) are the only really safe options .. 

I can just imagine how safe a pedestrian underpass on Second Road would be, especially in the rain...

Oh sorry, I forgot, it would never open because of the lack of trained operators....

4 minutes ago, Grusa said:

I can just imagine how safe a pedestrian underpass on Second Road would be, especially in the rain...

Oh sorry, I forgot, it would never open because of the lack of trained operators....

activate the lights that are already installed and place a bib at the lights who walks out onto the rd hands out during the red light

A similar system is used effectively in Hua Hin so yes it can be done

1 minute ago, InMyShadow said:

activate the lights that are already installed and place a bib at the lights who walks out onto the rd hands out during the red light

A similar system is used effectively in Hua Hin so yes it can be done

Oh if only there were enough BIBs, such a shame they're all busy blocking Sukhumvit Road by the Jomtien Ambassador every day swiping dosh of motorcyclists too dumb to wear a bash hat.

Maybe it was more of a case of the foreigner was crossing the road and the taxi driver didn't want to stop, so the man hit the taxi and the problem went from there.  So many times I have nearly been hit on pedestrian crossings because dangerous incompetent Thai drivers don't know the rules and they are not enforced.  One time I was in the middle of crossing the road with my daughter and other people, a motorbike didn't want to stop so unfortunately for him he ended up off the bike a spread out across the road, me with a sore hand, all while a police officer looked on.  The police officer did nothing, more interested in fining people for no helmets than punishing dangerous drivers or enforcing the road rules.  

18 hours ago, smedly said:

2nd road is extremely dangerous to cross because drivers are speeding, it is right in the heart of the tourist scene and just like beach road should have traffic calming measures to slow the speed down, nobody should be doing more than 20kmph, what's the hurry, I have seen many incidents caused by speeding cars, I suspect that is exactly what happened here, this Farang was crossing the road and nearly go run over by a taxi driver driving like a lunatic.

It could be argued why try to cross the road - well there is only one way and we all know about the pedestrian lights and how effective they are so if you want to get across there is no other option, they need effective traffic calming in all these high density tourist areas.

I was driving along beach road last Sunday evening when three westerners,2 girls and a man, walked across in front of me while looking straight at me. Possibly drunk. Tempted to floor it and clean them up justvfir their sheer arrogance but did not of course

5 hours ago, smedly said:

the guy was crossing and nearly got run over and got angry about ti..........as I said above - this happens all the time on 2nd road.......it is dangerous because everyone wants to be where they are going regardless .................oh yes to save maybe 2mins at the most they are willing to run people down 

Or drunk guy was acting like an idiot and hits the taxi and then blocks it because he's a drunk and a dumbass.

Or perhaps he really was nearly run over (could also be his fault because some pedestrians are morons) and decide to hit the taxi and block it.  In which case, when you hit someone's car and prevent it from going off, what else do you think would happen when he steps out of his car?  Grab a man's shirt by his collar, well what do you think happens?

16 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Absolutely spot on Smed's old boy .. Trying to cross 2nd road ( particularly at night ) is a treacherous experience .. even if the large vehicles slow or stop for you its  the mental motorcyclists who will take you out .. Subway's or footbridges ( as they have in provincial cities and Bangkok ) are the only really safe options .. 

Completely agree with the footbridges as it's nigh on suicide crossing these roads most times.

58 minutes ago, Slotman said:

So you believe everything the taxi thug said? If he'd have stayed in the car, nothing would have happened.

All too keen for any excuse to fight imho.

Until there's a witness to what really happened, why not? I know I'd be pissed off too if someone hit my car, blocked it and grabbed me by my shirt. 

Sounds like a lot of face saving going on here.

The foreigner blocked the taxi cab.  The foreigner enraged the driver enough the driver had to get out.  The foreigner grabbed the shirt.  The foreigner was a good 6 years younger than the driver although they don't know who he is.  Since the foreigner was younger, the old taxi driver taught him a lesson.  The foreigner started a fight and the taxi driver ended it.

Amazing how the story is so one sided and shifts all the blame on the person who can't speak up.

17 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

sounds like you are ready to drive a taxi in Thailand.

The cab driver should have done nothing but leave/get away. He should be held responsible for all hospital bills and stripped of his license to drive a taxi.

Lets hope the passenger does not suffer from any serious injury.

Horse crap!  Did you not read the story, the stupid obviously drunken farang grabbed the taxi driver and a fight broke out.  I'd say the cabbie was well within his rights to punch his lights out.  And where did you read that the passenger could have suffered any injuries?  They were undoubtedly sitting in the vehicle, and should make a good witness.