Traffic hell when terminal 21 opens ?

bert bloggs

19 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

OK, but only because you put a LOL at the start.

Promenada was built way out in the sticks in scrub land, across the superhighway ( but right beside a main arterial intersection and close to the superhighway ). They must have got a super deal on the land as nothing in the area. Now, the area around it is where all the high end super expensive residential accommodation is being built, and Promenada is a high end expensive mall designed to capture that captive demographic.

Within 5 years or so they are set to really clean up. Just had to have the foresight and the deep pockets to build where they did and wait long enough.

The point is that a mall would cost less to build in Jomptien now, as it is going to get built up as people flee the appalling traffic and disintegrating infrastructure of Pattaya. Far better beach too.

OMG man, seriously??  The first time I went there I thought it was a joke.

I was at The Promenada in CM a few weeks ago the place was a total ghost town.  Half the spots have no shops. This was during Chinese New Year every other mall was packed.

The residential nearby will do nothing to support a huge mall like that it may be the biggest white elephant in Thailand..... 

I went to the movie on a Friday night and there were 2 people.  Me and a girl......

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They have the very best location possible in Bangkok at the intersection of 2 mass transit lines. Imagine the cost of that real estate.

And yet they built Central in Pattaya far away from the nearest road intersection, and no likelihood of a mass transit line opening for decades. T21 did get it right, as far as is possible in Pattaya.

Don't quit your day job.  As Tropo said, Festival is sitting on the best location in Pattaya, smack dab in the middle of everything and right on the busiest beach in a beach town.  They did their homework.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, tropo said:

When a smart developer decides it's a smart investment. A "seaside shop mall" requires a huge volume of tourists. Jomtien is still too quiet. That's why they put regular malls along Sukhumvit Road with easy access for local residents. Jomtien tourists will always travel to Pattaya central malls (T21, Central), but Pattaya tourists would not travel to a remote shopping mall along Jomtien Beach Road.

Its just a matter of time before the first Jomtien beachfront shopping mall  arises.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Destiny1990 said:

Its just a matter of time before the first Jomtien beachfront shopping mall  arises.

5 to 10 years snce nothing planned.

In the mean time, keep coming over the hill and enjoy the ride.

1 hour ago, newnative said:

I actually think Jomtien has gotten big enough for a beachside shopping center.  Not a MALL but a shopping center with a grocery store the size of MaxValu, Tops, or Foodland, some banks (Bangkok Bank has really outgrown its space), some assorted retail, AIS, True, and some chain restaurants like McDonalds, KFC, Pizza Company, etc., along with some nicer, sit-down restaurants and plenty of garage parking.  Riviera Jomtien and Espana will soon be joining a number of other new developments that have opened and the massive multi-building One project is on the horizon.  Likely enough of a population base at hand by the time something is built. 

Yes u named most what is lacking now just to complete ur list add a smallish foodcourt and a Starbucks for meetings.

nowadays there are plenty of foreigners in Jomtien looking for these facilities nearby and also residents/ locals from across sukumvit and Najomtien etc will visit as Jomtien downtown is still better reachable then Pattaya downtown.

Edited by Destiny1990
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

OMG man, seriously??  The first time I went there I thought it was a joke.

I was at The Promenada in CM a few weeks ago the place was a total ghost town.  Half the spots have no shops. This was during Chinese New Year every other mall was packed.

The residential nearby will do nothing to support a huge mall like that it may be the biggest white elephant in Thailand..... 

I went to the movie on a Friday night and there were 2 people.  Me and a girl......

Did you pull?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, newnative said:

Don't quit your day job.  As Tropo said, Festival is sitting on the best location in Pattaya, smack dab in the middle of everything and right on the busiest beach in a beach town.  They did their homework.

Really, as someone visiting from outside Pattaya, North Pattaya road is 10 times more convenient to travel to than Second or beach road.

During the weekends I wouldn't even dream about tgraveling to second road by car.

I know many people live in the vicinity of Second road, but the majority of mall visitors doesn't

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, newnative said:

I actually think Jomtien has gotten big enough for a beachside shopping center.  Not a MALL but a shopping center with a grocery store the size of MaxValu, Tops, or Foodland, some banks

I think most of Jomtien is run by an influential family , or we would have seen more supermarkets a long time ago . It's very strange that the only real supermarket is the one next to the bus station.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Really, as someone visiting from outside Pattaya, North Pattaya road is 10 times more convenient to travel to than Second or beach road.

During the weekends I wouldn't even dream about tgraveling to second road by car.

I know many people live in the vicinity of Second road, but the majority of mall visitors doesn't

That's why both malls will do well.  Festival will continue to get the beach crowd, tourists and residents staying in that area, and lots of people from Jomtien, Cosy Beach, Pratumnak, etc.   T21 will draw from everywhere.

17 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

OK, but only because you put a LOL at the start.

Promenada was built way out in the sticks in scrub land, across the superhighway ( but right beside a main arterial intersection and close to the superhighway ). They must have got a super deal on the land as nothing in the area. Now, the area around it is where all the high end super expensive residential accommodation is being built, and Promenada is a high end expensive mall designed to capture that captive demographic.

Within 5 years or so they are set to really clean up. Just had to have the foresight and the deep pockets to build where they did and wait long enough.

The point is that a mall would cost less to build in Jomptien now, as it is going to get built up as people flee the appalling traffic and disintegrating infrastructure of Pattaya. Far better beach too.

To be blunt Jomtien is the end of the line , there is no highway out , and it is not "easy" to get to unlike central and 21 . it would be a waste of time building there now . you would more than likely only get thr locals and tourists staying there . by the way i like Jomtien  , used to love it when it was "a day out" and you had to hire a baht bus to get there ,shows how long it is from when i first visited Pattaya. lol

16 hours ago, newnative said:

Actually, Pattaya is a town with a beach, rather than a beach with a town. The sea has been toxic since the 80s, so people have normally gone to stay in the town and over the hill to Jomptien for the beach. Only package tourists might have believed that Pattaya beach was an attraction to visit for.

It's only since the road was improved enough for the Bkk crowd to visit on the weekends that the beach has assumed any importance.

Even the Chinese avoid it in favour of Larn.

2 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

To be blunt Jomtien is the end of the line , there is no highway out , and it is not "easy" to get to unlike central and 21 . it would be a waste of time building there now . you would more than likely only get thr locals and tourists staying there . by the way i like Jomtien  , used to love it when it was "a day out" and you had to hire a baht bus to get there ,shows how long it is from when i first visited Pattaya. lol

I don't get your point. Royal Garden mall did very nicely when it was the best mall in town, back when only locals and tourists staying there used it.

It doesn't have to be a huge one like Festival. A small one would be just fine.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, tropo said:

T21 has a smart business concept. To get to the food court and all the other restaurants you take the long escalator to the top floor for very good value eating, then after dinner, you have to snake your way back down slowly on short escalators. At one point you are forced to enter H&M. You can't just eat and quickly exit without at least doing some window shopping. This is probably the reason why the food court is one of the best (T21-Asoke) and best value as it gets a huge volume of people into the mall. It's an upmarket food court at budget prices. Finding a seat is a problem though, as well as queuing up to buy a food ticket.

Or... you can take the short escalator(s) DOWN from the Lower Ground floor to the basement where there's more than enough eating choices and you don't even have to pass any shops to get there.

• Like 1

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

2 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

End of the line? There are several roads connecting to Sukhumvit.  Fairly wide roads with not much traffic.

If you are talking on the beach road in Jomtien, they would not build a mall there anyway.

Several spots inland would be ideal.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

LOL> It will happen sometime in the future. Very insightful.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Well, the cinema, the bowling alley and the restaurants have done well. Unknown about the shops. They never seem very busy when I go there.

Don't know if you have ever been in T21 in Bkk, but that place really is doing well, always packed, and as long as they stick to the plan, T21 in Pattaya is going to wipe out Central. It's just a far better mall. Could end up like Central World, with a few people wandering around the customer devoid hallways most days.

In Central Festival the cinema, the bowling alley and the restaurants will probably continue to do well, but don't know about the shops.

Anyway the Royal Garden mall owners will probably be lovin' it.

You don't know if I've ever been to T21 in Bkk? LOL. I've posted on it in the last few pages.

Next time you are in the vicinity of Central Mall in Pattaya, cast your eyes upward. You'll see a 34-story building. That's the Hilton Hotel Pattaya. That hotel is very successful and it's part of the shopping complex. Central Mall is not a stand-alone shopping complex. The hotel is sitting on the most prime real estate in Pattaya, exactly in the center of the bay. It's there for a reason. With the name Hilton, success is guaranteed, as will be the continued success of the shopping mall.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, newnative said:

The sea may be toxic to you but it is obviously not toxic to the crowds of people I see on Pattaya Beach every time I drive by.   Many just enjoy the beach itself.  You have to remember that your views on Pattaya are likely almost always the opposite of the views of Pattaya's tourists, who find plenty to enjoy in Pattaya and don't view it as a s**thole.   I think the Bangkok crowd originally came to escape the big  Bangkok floods a number of years ago and decided they liked Pattaya.  Central Festival opening and several big condo projects from Bangkok builders Sansiri, SC Asset, and Lumpini that were marketed in Bangkok also helped. 

I don't know why people think I don't like Pattaya. I love the place, but that doesn't mean I have to turn a blind eye to the many deficiencies. If everyone keeps quiet about the problems, nothing will ever get fixed. The leaning power pole only got fixed after it was exposed on social media.

As for the sea in Pattaya Bay, it's been well known as toxic since the 80s. Anyone that claims it is safe is wilfully ignorant, IMO.

I've even rented a deckchair on the beach and had a meal there so no problems on that side of things, except when the authorities decide that if something isn't broken they should break it.

I was a tourist in Pattaya for decades before I lived there, so I'm well aware of the attractions available to them, but none are actually in the area between North and South Roads and Third Rd to the beach, which most people are referring to when they talk about Pattaya.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

20 hours ago, tropo said:

You don't know if I've ever been to T21 in Bkk? LOL. I've posted on it in the last few pages.

Next time you are in the vicinity of Central Mall in Pattaya, cast your eyes upward. You'll see a 34-story building. That's the Hilton Hotel Pattaya. That hotel is very successful and it's part of the shopping complex. Central Mall is not a stand-alone shopping complex. The hotel is sitting on the most prime real estate in Pattaya, exactly in the center of the bay. It's there for a reason. With the name Hilton, success is guaranteed, as will be the continued success of the shopping mall.

LOL, by dinner time I can barely remember what I had for breakfast, and I'm not going to re read an entire thread just so I know what anyone posted before.

I take the point about the Hilton, but IMO anyone that considers an hotel sitting on top of a mall as important, when talking about the mall, is in a very small group of posters.

If I'm talking about the mall, I'm not including the Hilton.

Far as hotels and malls go though, there are some malls in Pattaya that might need to convert to hotels or apartments when T21 opens. It's going to be "legendary", as Barney Stinson says.

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't know why people think I don't like Pattaya. I love the place, but that doesn't mean I have to turn a blind eye to the many deficiencies. If everyone keeps quiet about the problems, nothing will ever get fixed. The leaning power pole only got fixed after it was exposed on social media.

As for the sea in Pattaya Bay, it's been well known as toxic since the 80s. Anyone that claims it is safe is wilfully ignorant, IMO.

I've even rented a deckchair on the beach and had a meal there so no problems on that side of things, except when the authorities decide that if something isn't broken they should break it.

I was a tourist in Pattaya for decades before I lived there, so I'm well aware of the attractions available to them, but none are actually in the area between North and South Roads and Third Rd to the beach, which most people are referring to when they talk about Pattaya.

I beg to differ.  Only the out of towners reference that small section of Pattaya--recall the gent who recently came to Pattaya to check if it was suitable for a convention and--confining himself to that small area--decided, no, Pattaya was not suitable for a convention.  Those of us who live here know there's a lot more on offer all over Greater Pattaya--which makes it such an enjoyable place to reside.

2 minutes ago, newnative said:

I beg to differ.  Only the out of towners reference that small section of Pattaya--recall the gent who recently came to Pattaya to check if it was suitable for a convention and--confining himself to that small area--decided, no, Pattaya was not suitable for a convention.  Those of us who live here know there's a lot more on offer all over Greater Pattaya--which makes it such an enjoyable place to reside.

Make up your mind. I was referring to YOUR comment "You have to remember that your views on Pattaya are likely almost always the opposite of the views of Pattaya's tourists, who find plenty to enjoy in Pattaya and don't view it as a s**thole."

and now you are talking about residents.

32 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL, by dinner time I can barely remember what I had for breakfast, and I'm not going to re read an entire thread just so I know what anyone posted before.

I take the point about the Hilton, but IMO anyone that considers an hotel sitting on top of a mall as important, when talking about the mall, is in a very small group of posters.

If I'm talking about the mall, I'm not including the Hilton.

Far as hotels and malls go though, there are some malls in Pattaya that might need to convert to hotels or apartments when T21 opens. It's going to be "legendary", as Barney Stinson says.

Pattaya's T21 has a hotel on top of it--to provide a steady flow of customers, as does Hilton for Festival.

22 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Make up your mind. I was referring to YOUR comment "You have to remember that your views on Pattaya are likely almost always the opposite of the views of Pattaya's tourists, who find plenty to enjoy in Pattaya and don't view it as a s**thole."

and now you are talking about residents.

I was referring to TV posters, not tourists--those 85 out of 100 I mentioned in another thread who don't actually live in Pattaya but love to comment on it.  

13 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Said the realtor,

Uh-oh, JSixpack, I've just had the 'realtor' insult hurled at me again!   Why does enjoying where you live make you a realtor?  Not that there's anything wrong with that.   

• Like 1

Just now, newnative said:

Uh-oh, JSixpack, I've just had the 'realtor' insult hurled at me again!   Why does enjoying where you live make you a realtor?  Not that there's anything wrong with that.   

Enjoying where you live doesn't make you a realtor, admitting on this very forum to at least 10 sales in the past 12 months alone ( and that are only the ones admitted), makes you one. Although obviously not an officially registered one.