Bangkok expat with Kenyan wife slams Air Asia for "racial profiling" and "humiliation" at Don Mueang airport

webfact

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, iko said:

I do not see any racism there. and yes, thais are 'racist', like about any people on earth. skin color, dress, nationality matter. they always did; they always will. this guy had their vacations 'ruined' by this? thin skin; very much so and this is dangerous in a sunny country like thailand.

Ruined vacation? British?

That rings a bill - maybe the British expat trained before in Spain???

https://elpais.com/elpais/2017/05/29/inenglish/1496055052_295731.html

13 hours ago, overherebc said:

Of course you are right but when you sent a letter in the old days only the person it was addressed to read it. 

When my wife and self go out for a night 99% of the time we leave the phones in the car and sit in the restaurant and talk to each other.

But anyway, off topic.

Hey I agree with you , lot of people let social media control their life. My point is that Facebook /Messenger are hugely useful tools , foolish people doing foolish things doesn't disguise that fact.

5 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

Hey I agree with you , lot of people let social media control their life. My point is that Facebook /Messenger are hugely useful tools , foolish people doing foolish things doesn't disguise that fact.

I think we are both on the same lines. Before I retired I would be working somewhere outside Thailand and answering to an office in Oz. When we had a <deleted> on site by the contractor I would report by E mail but also send a 'line' to let the boss know about the E. Time difference etc coming into play, but obviously CYA on my part.

I do miss hand written letters though. There was something so intimate and real about them. When I was in the forces there was just that feeling when you were handed a letter from your loved one that made everthing seem so much better than it really was.

I don't have the words to describe it but I know it felt so good. A letter is so much more, can I use the word 'tactile' than letters typed on on a phone or computer screen.

I do understand when being racially discriminated against gets to people. I also do understand that sometimes racial profiling does happen for security reasons. My son was once called an 'African Slave' by an Arab. That was pure racism. Most white people do not suffer this routinely, but usually complain when it happens to them! I see it from both sides, fortunately there are more good people than racists - in most places.

Oh Come on, racial profiling is a norm and get used to it and sometimes even use it. At my company, we are always hesitant about accepting thai clients as most of us equate thais with cheats. Same the thais always double charge me and whenever I can get a chance to do something like spitting into their food etc...I do it. Just get use to it and smile and have your revenge another day with a smile.

19 hours ago, khounteen said:

Unfortunately it happens everywhere,  Airlines are forced to repatriate those passengers that are  denied entry, in this case Air Asia was only trying to protect themselves. You cannot blame them for pre emptive precautions.

That's not an explanation. If there were traveling to Singapore which is a common wealth country. Kenyans don't need a visa to Malaysia , Indonesia, India an so on. Just know. Racist business practices always have good explanations.

I have tried to contact Air Asia's customer service at least 5 different times. They have NEVER gotten in touch with me. And cannot "chat" with them. Am I black and don't know it? This is in US. Not the most customer friendly airline. Planes always leave late and arrive early due to a large flight time allowance. 

19 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

and yet, you're happy to live under his patronage.

No. Absolutely wrong. I am not happy to live under his patronage, or command, or lack of leadership. But, I am happy to live in Thailand. Beats the hell out of living under Trump. I have a good life here. Little P. has a very small effect on that quality of life. My heart goes out to the Thai people. He is sabotaging their lives on countless levels. But, it does not affect my life too much. 

Edited by spidermike007

21 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

No. Absolutely wrong. I am not happy to live under his patronage, or command, or lack of leadership. But, I am happy to live in Thailand. Beats the hell out of living under Trump. I have a good life here. Little P. has a very small effect on that quality of life. My heart goes out to the Thai people. He is sabotaging their lives on countless levels. But, it does not affect my life too much. 

C'mon man…are you denying that you, and all expats, serve at his pleasure?

Just now, JHolmesJr said:

C'mon man…are you denying that you, and all expats, serve at his pleasure?

Yes, I do deny that. Sure, I support the local economy. But most of that money goes to the local people. Fortunately, I do not have to pay taxes here nor do I pay alot of VAT. Some of what I spend goes to the government, but not much. And I sure do not offer him any moral support. Same goes for most ex-pats. We know who he is. 

Sort of sounds like you have some sort of ax to grind, against ex-pats who have decided to live in Thailand. What is your agenda?

20 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Sort of sounds like you have some sort of ax to grind, against ex-pats who have decided to live in Thailand. What is your agenda?

no agenda..just pointing out the hypocrisy of choosing to live in a country whose leader you so despise.

cognitive dissonance at its finest.

On 8/17/2017 at 2:55 AM, rwdrwdrwd said:

Oh yeah that's definitely more 'dangerous' and 'detrimental to society' than 'the holocaust', isn't it.

:post-4641-1156693976:

Yes the far left is more dangerous as it is set to gradually destroy Western civilization from within. All these muslim attacks in the West are facilitated indirectly (or possibly directly in some cases) by the far left and 'political correctness'.

5 hours ago, Nord X said:

Yes the far left is more dangerous as it is set to gradually destroy Western civilization from within. All these muslim attacks in the West are facilitated indirectly (or possibly directly in some cases) by the far left and 'political correctness'.

Right, so if we assume you have a point based in fact, rather than paranoid delusion, for a moment - that's more 'detrimental to society' than the slaughter of six million people?

What a load of utter rubbish.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

On 16/08/2017 at 10:29 PM, pain13 said:

AAsia ground staff in DMK are definitely the rudest bunch Ive come across,

Approached one of the girls to inquire where the Flex check-in was, she saw me coming and looked away, when I tried to get her attention , she yelled at me and pointed to the main queue. I was stunned.

When I finally found the correct line, the guy insisted I go to the main line, I lost it than and pointed at ticket.

Geez talk about a warm send off. I mean thats like the exact opposite of how to behave and your suppose to be dealing with tourist.

Funny thing was , no such problems in KLIA or Changi which I used a few days apart before this bitter experience. My skins thicker these days though.

This was like a year back.

Im glad someones come forward and highlighted this issue.

Just wondering what she yelled at you when she was pointing. Was it “far queue“ by any chance?

3 hours ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

Right, so if we assume you have a point based in fact, rather than paranoid delusion, for a moment - that's more 'detrimental to society' than the slaughter of six million people?

What a load of utter rubbish.

The far left is going to be responsible for the slaughter of a lot more than six million people. The time-bomb is ticking....

on a related tiff about AirAsia:  

Today I tried booking a simple in-country flight with them, using their official web site.  

As each page turned, the price got jacked up - but that didn't surprise me, as I expect that from them.

However, on the last 4 pages for payment, I filled in all the blanks, including data which clearly isn't needed by them, and then was informed my c.card wouldn't work.  I know my c.card is good, because I've recently used it successfully online for several other things.  Wasted time.  AirAsia is frustrating.  I'm going with a different airline.

8 minutes ago, Nord X said:

The far left is going to be responsible for the slaughter of a lot more than six million people. The time-bomb is ticking....

Yeah alright Nostradamus.

And, back to the real world...

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

On 8/16/2017 at 5:14 PM, NCC1701A said:

Because I am a handsome single white male I have to endure daily marriage proposals from Thai women.

And a Thai woman at security ran her metal detector wand over my rear end more than once as her female friends laughed and went on in Thai. Right out in plan view of everyone at the airport.

And you are complaining why??????

I hope Thailand maintains it's tough borders because where I used to call home in Canada it's moronic Government has opened it's borders to the trash of the world and they are doing nothing about it. The Visa's and Pictures at immigration were always something I respected in my 30 years living there. Visa Runs were always a pain in the ass but to this day I respected their rights to monitor who comes and goes in their country. I now live in the Philippines because my wife is Filippina.

On 8/18/2017 at 11:51 AM, JHolmesJr said:

no agenda..just pointing out the hypocrisy of choosing to live in a country whose leader you so despise.

cognitive dissonance at its finest.

Not even close. Do you like the leader of your country? I have never in my lifetime lived in a country where I liked the leader. Maybe Jimmy Carter was the exception and he had little skill as a president, partly due to his kind heart. Forgive me. Perhaps I should be more of a sheeplike creature. But, I do not like politicians, and consider all of them, at the national level to be sewer creatures, and crocodiles. So, where does that leave me? Musk has not invented the interplanetary space colony yet, so I have no choice but to live in a country where I do not like the leader.

Yeah, probably because the white skins (mostly from Europe) had a habit of raping, pillaging, enslaving, murdering Africans in many parts of the country. You can't blame them from being racist can you?

Following in the footsteps of the slavers from other tribes and from the middle East.

Sent from my SM-C900F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app