Central Road to be dug up for (at least) 90 days

Rimmer

Central Road to be dug up for (at least) 90 days

PATTAYA:--Drivers should prepare for at least three months of detours and traffic nightmares on Central Road as the Provincial Electricity Authority digs up and closes off portions of the street to bury power lines underground.

Pattaya officials and engineers met with Nirud Charoenchoh, the PEA’s Pattaya office director, and local police Aug. 4 to outline the disruptions the public began to face when work began Aug. 15.

The 80-million-baht project, which will see messy jumbles of power, telephone and utility lines placed in sealed pipes under Central Road, is slated to take three months. Delays, however, are inevitable as contractor Litchotorn Co. will be doing its work at the height of rainy season instead of in February when the project was supposed to have begun.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/central-road-dug-least-90-days-183597

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2017-08-18

48 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

" Delays, however, are inevitable as contractor Litchotorn Co. will be doing its work at the height of rainy season instead of in February when the project was supposed to have begun."

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

I recall about 15 years ago they dug up Pattaya Klang. They were resurfacing the road,

I went to buy a clothes washing machine & had to leap over a 2 meter deep ditch.

They filled it all in, the concrete had barely cured & they were out there with jackhammers and tunneling machines to install water pipes.

I guess they "No hab budget" when they had the entire thing dug down 6+ feet deep?

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

I wonder how long it will be, after they bury all the wiring, before new wiring springs up? My guess would be 6 months max.

PS....sorry for this wonky post. Cannot edit it correctly. Computer/forum gremlins I guess?

Edited by jaywalker

This has nothing to do with utility and telephone wires, the mess of cables on the side of the streets will remain for now, this dig is only for high powered transmission to the PEA facility only, if they were to properly put everything underground, there will be a lot more mess with god knows how many providers of cable TVs and internet these days hanging on the poles

Trouble seems to follow me. I moved back to the Dark Side end of July and road traffic is even more of a disaster. Now I've been thinking of moving from the (virtually) isolated Dark Side to the beach side, behind Big C Extra on Klang. If I have any future moving plans, I'll warn you all so you can get out of town. 

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

I'm perplexed as to why these aren't being installed on one side of the road under the sidewalk for future repairs/access/upgrades. And if it's only the transmission lines why bother? It's the internet/comms/cable tv cables that are a mess. Very confusion 

Prior to sinking another dozens of millions of Baht I might suggest you get that godforsaken mess on Siam Country Road, remaining unfinished for more than two years, finalized.

Meanwhile some citizens have planted banana trees into those heaps of earth; dozens of small enterprises went out of business and went bankrupt because of some seriously corrupt clowns down at the City hall keep on lining the pockets with ill-gotten funds by contractors who just pay them the money, keep part of the bounty and just walk away without finishing the job they were originally assigned to do.

Nobody minds if those highway robberies are going on - but do the affected tax payers the favour and get those contractors - who line your pockets with millions of Baht you do not deserve in the first place - to FINISH the hopeless mess you guys have been ordering. There was no need to do anything on Siam Country Road in the first place. 

4 hours ago, digbeth said:

This has nothing to do with utility and telephone wires, the mess of cables on the side of the streets will remain for now, this dig is only for high powered transmission to the PEA facility only, if they were to properly put everything underground, there will be a lot more mess with god knows how many providers of cable TVs and internet these days hanging on the poles

If they are not going to bury all the wires they needn't bother.

Ditches dug in rainy season?  Expect the substrate, sand, to collapse as quickly as they dig.  Expect the ditch to be 3 times wider than it should be.  Expect a year or more.  Reference?  Jomtien drain repair to dump sewage in the ocean.

The section in front of Foodland and Harbor mall was dug up since Tuesday, some conduits were laid in and covered up with concrete and is all finished with no trace of it ever happened since this afternoon.

Looks like they'll pull the cable through later.

If they managed to keep going in small section like this, maybe it'd be finished on time with minimum disruptions

Why didn't they do this when the tunnel was being built and the traffic was at a low level on Pattaya Klaang. 

Now that the tunnel is about to be opened and traffic slows into and from Klaang, a new disaster is created. 

Or is the Lexus from some Hanky Panky PEA official about to be renewed? 

Amazing.....

Central Road has been all but unused from Sukhumvit to 3rd Rd for about three years as the Sukhumvit  end was mostly closed for the tunnel construction. Now that end is opened they are going to perform major works down Klang....

Dumb....have to continue on as usual.

Edited by jacko45k

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 6:06 PM, sjonburi said:

Pardon my ignorance but couldn't they just do this with horizontal directional drilling and avoid another 3 months (probably more) of traffic hell? 

directional drill diag2.jpg

No. They'd still need to dig a trench at intervals down the road. I've never seen them do such a long stretch in one go.

Of course, Thai planning is way behind that in the West. In the UK you would never ever see one utility company after another digging up the same road, leaving uneven surfaces and causing traffic chaos. ?

Edited by champers

6 minutes ago, champers said:

Of course, Thai planning is way behind that in the West. In the UK you would never ever see one utility company after another digging up the same road, leaving uneven surfaces and causing traffic chaos. ?

Only someone been in the UK a while would get the sarcasm. :smile:

Pardon my ignorance but couldn't they just do this with horizontal directional drilling and avoid another 3 months (probably more) of traffic hell? 
5996c9a12b5fa_directionaldrilldiag2.jpg.d077674edad15296fdc4e64c8b5b464f.jpg

They used one along beach road just before the last "uprade" road widdening and tree cull ,still took ages and had to dig huge holes every 20 meters or so would have been cheaper and quicker just to dig a trench.

On 8/18/2017 at 6:06 PM, sjonburi said:

directional drill diag2.jpg

Slip lining; as opposed to digging open cut (trenches); would be easier, quicker and cheaper. A series of pits rather than a trench. I don't know if the expertise exists in Thailand.

Directional drilling is mostly used for laying utilities under and accross roads, rail lines, canals and rivers.

On 8/18/2017 at 1:42 PM, jaywalker said:

I recall about 15 years ago they dug up Pattaya Klang. They were resurfacing the road,

I went to buy a clothes washing machine & had to leap over a 2 meter deep ditch.

They filled it all in, the concrete had barely cured & they were out there with jackhammers and tunneling machines to install water pipes.

I guess they "No hab budget" when they had the entire thing dug down 6+ feet deep?

They dug up most of Pattaya Tai too (south side), less than 10 years ago. They never got around to resurfacing it properly. It was a decent, smooth road before they did that. I wouldn't be surprised if Central Road ends up the same. I never thought I'd be saying this, but I reckon we're better off with a mess of power lines above the road.  

Edited by tropo