Pattaya confirms 4-way intersection to replace Dolphin Roundabout

Rimmer

Pattaya confirms 4-way intersection to replace Dolphin Roundabout

1255-n4-City.jpg

PATTAYA:--The death sentence has been handed down for Pattaya’s Dolphin Roundabout, which will be replaced with a four-way intersection, although the landmark sea mammal will remain.

Pattaya spokesman Pinit Maneerat on Aug. 9 confirmed long-circulating rumors that the traffic circle soon will be history. Plans are underway to install traffic lights and, somewhere, a new home for the dolphin statue.

Pinit acknowledged the considerable public sentiment for keeping the landmark traffic circle, which has sat at the junction of Beach, Second, North and Naklua roads for more than 20 years. But the signal-free interchange has become too much of a traffic bottleneck and has to go, he claimed.

No date has been announced for its removal.

While Pattaya officials and traffic police complain about the congestion steaming circling the roundabout, they actually have only themselves to blame.

Roundabouts have been scientifically proven to be more efficient and safer than convention intersections. They allow more cars to pass through at a time and studies have shown they reduce injury accidents by 75 percent.

Of course, those studies were done in the West where drivers are better educated and policed. Thailand, by contrast, has the second-highest road-death toll in the world.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-confirms-4-way-intersection-replace-dolphin-roundabout-183601

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2017-08-18

Yes install a four-way intersection with traffic lights that will be ignored creating more traffiic issues with a tail back caused by the inevitable crashes

IMO You have more of a serious crash, being T-boned at lights, than on a round about where you can actually see what is coming at you and then have a chance of getting out of the way. The other way round in 99% of other countries was just being pragmatic

Thais know best, the rest of the world is wrong. It isn't that complicated a junction because 2 of the roads are one-way. Traffic lights; that ought to be fitted with working cameras; should control flow and help pedestrians to cross safely. Fingers crossed, as ever.

10 minutes ago, Methuselah said:

Should be interesting when the inevitable breakdown of the traffic lights occurs.

Indeed, that'll be the day when suddenly there isn't a backup of traffic in every direction.  Amazing how much better the traffic seems to flow when the lights break.

4 hours ago, les Dennis said:

Drivers cant grasp the concept of a box junction, so I have little hope for a four way junction.

they understand them; it amounts to 'me first'; traffic lights are just an inconvenience, same as other traffic laws

6 hours ago, Rimmer said:

the signal-free interchange has become too much of a traffic bottleneck and has to go

Uh, huh.

Well, it would work to some degree if computerisation were in place and in use. But that won't happen, will it? It'll be down to the usual a__e-to-the-seat BiB to wake up and remember he is supposed to press some buttons once in a while.

6 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Roundabouts have been scientifically proven to be more efficient and safer than convention(sic) intersections.

Problem is, it doesn't need science to prove that the majority of Thai drivers have no idea how a roundabout works. And that they would ignore it, even if they did know.

1 hour ago, Methuselah said:

Should be interesting when the inevitable breakdown of the traffic lights occurs.

Yes the and resulting multi car pile up due to brake failure and slippery road syndrome, 

7 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Roundabouts have been scientifically proven to be more efficient and safer than convention intersections. They allow more cars to pass through at a time and studies have shown they reduce injury accidents by 75 percent.

The only rule here is 'Me First'.

What do you expect in a country where you can still buy typewriter ribbons and carbon paper!

Let's see if the affected small and medium sized enterprises - this time - will protest a level higher. We all know that the city hall is just in for the take; look at all those non-functioning traffic lights along the railway road and Nongprue; millions burnt for absolutely nothing. 

Siam Country Road died a slow death over the corruption in ripping open and never closing the road again - Terminal 21 will have an exit into North Pattaya road; combined with a traffic light - a deadly cocktail. 

Wondering what kind of super weed these boys at the city hall are smoking - seriously; but it is written in the Holy Bible already "Lord, forgive them for not knowing what they do". And if they know WHAT they do they certainly also know WHY they do it. Let's keep an eye on the car park of the city hall for some new super cars showing up with red plates anytime soon ........... 

What do you expect in a country where you can still buy typewriter ribbons and carbon paper!

I'm confused by the ribbons and carbon paper.
Are you suggesting Thailand isnt a modern hub of the universe ?

Just now, DukSiam1 said:

I'm confused....which is normal.  They are creating a 4-way intersection. But isn't there only 3 streets converging there.

The 4th "Road" is Nakula 24 it's a road at all

8 hours ago, Rimmer said:

4-way intersection to replace Dolphin Roundabout

Looking at the road plan, it's not a 90o 4-way intersection! Two adjacent roads appear to intersect at 45o.

All your lines of sight for drivers will be angled instead of straight forward. That's going to be confusing for any driver. The intersection appears as a huge open space - very susceptible to uncontrolled "maneuvering."

If the intersecting roadways are not elevated overpasses or tunnels, there are too many points of potential vehicular "conflicts" in every direction.

The better solution would be a cloverleaf style intersection but that probably requires too much land.

In the alternative simply create two successive 90o intersections with coordinated traffic lights than trying to compress all traffic movement into a single intersection.

9 hours ago, Dave67 said:

Yes install a four-way intersection with traffic lights that will be ignored creating more traffiic issues with a tail back caused by the inevitable crashes

IMO You have more of a serious crash, being T-boned at lights, than on a round about where you can actually see what is coming at you and then have a chance of getting out of the way. The other way round in 99% of other countries was just being pragmatic

Let me correct this  -  Install a four-way intersection with Traffic Lights  AND two Traffic Police Boxes so they can turn them on and off whenever they want too adding to the confusion.  Agree with the confused drivers in traffic circles, easier to see them coming atcha then speeding thru an intersection.:post-4641-1156694572:

12 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Here  we have it, official  concrete prof that,  roundabouts are just

to difficult  a concept for Thai Drivers / Riders.

LOL  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Funny you say that. I had a US girlfriend for 15 years in Australia.

She was puzzled by roundabouts but got used to them.

She told me they tried to introduce them into the US but the drivers simply could not understand/adapt to them so they gave the idea up.

She was from Philadelphia if that is of any relevance.

6 hours ago, DukSiam1 said:

I'm confused....which is normal.  They are creating a 4-way intersection. But isn't there only 3 streets converging there.

6 hours ago, Dave67 said:

The 4th "Road" is Nakula 24 it's a road at all

I live in BKK , never been to this location. Guess Google got confused also.

confused.jpg.cff3ad9691dbf02a66ad52e0e2f98374.jpg

6 hours ago, HHTel said:

I take the Singer treadle sewing machine leather belts back to Oz for friends who have them as curios...they love it! 

My missus can/does still use them too....and does a bloody good job on jeans and heavier material. You can Pfaff your stick.