Neighbors dog is coming inside our yard attacking our dog

ghworker2010

There's an old thai couple who own 2 vicious dogs and they live 2 doors up from us. 1 month ago we were sitting on the pubic bench opposite our house with our toddler; and they came running up attacking my dog right in front of use. The next day we went and politely spoke to the lady and gave her 2 chains. We asked if she could chain them up prior to opening her front gate. It worked for about a week and then things returned to normal with the dogs running out on the street everyday- mostly down to our front gate.

This morning I accidentally left the gate open a bit after taking my dog for a walk. 30min later the 2 dogs were inside my yard attacking my fury friend. The wife ran out there with a stick and got them out and the old lady was complacent at her gate doing <deleted> all. 

Ive had enough and want to take the police to the front gate this afternoon. They need a warning. I don't want to have to worry about my toddler or my dog being attacked inside my front yard. If I have to I will pay an attorney to write a letter of warning. 

Does anyone know what are our rights here? What is the law regarding this issue? I will go up to the station with the wife and let her deal with them but what is the go there. Are we going to have to make a donation for 2 of them to come with us to the woman's house?

Needless to say, majority of Thai people are absolutely clueless and hopeless when it comes to dogs. I'm not saying anything new here. This is amazing thailand. 

Since you cannot deter her behavior you need to change theirs. Pepper spray them when your dog is in the house.

Dogs act from stimulus response. A couple of times of a completely negative experience and they will hesitate to try it again. Pepper spray, sound devices, condition them to stay away so when they see you hand raised they scatter.

This will necessitate keeping your dog inside for several weeks while you teach them right from wrong...but let them enter your gate and them.....blammmo

Edited by tonray

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

Given that the neighbor lady seems to watch when her dogs are marauding, that's a solution that could quickly end up being worse than the problem.

Even tonray's (much more practical) solution doesn't come without risks as pepper spray is also illegal.  I'd modify his idea with a change from pepper spray to household ammonia, which is legal.  And can be loaded into a super quirt for quite a bit more range.

Ammonia will blind them permanently ...not a good solution for Thailand. You can make your own pepper spray....chilies, ground dried powder, oil, water,blender.

1 minute ago, tonray said:

Ammonia will blind them permanently ...not a good solution for Thailand. You can make your own pepper spray....chilies, ground dried powder, oil, water,blender.

Most Thai neighbours l see use catapults. :thumbsup:

they come into your yard then you are within your rights to put them down them if they attack, protecting yourself and your family in your own yard or on the street  is allowed, a heavy weighted baton on their heads will deter them very quickly

I bought a catapult for them and always have some big nuts ready to shoot. They don't care though, guess i need bigger nuts and have to shoot harder.

BB-guns are legal to have iirc. Think i'll buy me one of those.

2 hours ago, transam said:

I want an air rifle.....:stoner:

Since the garden hose wasn't too handy, I bought an air-soft pistol to eradicate the feral cats and pigeons lurking in our yard, worked great. None died and I didn't have bird and cat sh!t all over the shop. Then I got a box of the steel BB's but was told they will kill animals. I tested them only once on the old banana tree in the corner (in full auto mode). The tree was dead within 2 weeks. I didn't know banana trees were so sensitive.

2 hours ago, tonray said:

...but for God's sake wear gloves and DO NOT wipe your brow!!!

You can do something we had a similar problem and there is a department within local government assigned to deal with this problem, go to the local Ampur office tell them what is going on and there are people who will come out issue a warning and if it isn't adhered to within 7 days the dogs will be removed. We've used it twice because of dogs coming in to kill my chickens. Most recent was only 3 weeks ago and the two dogs responsible have both been removed and re-homed by their owners under guidance from local office. Also I was compensated for loss of my birds too.

Tell the head of village to go and have a chat to them. They probably will not listen, but saves going to the police if they do listen. If nothing changes, then contact the police (head village could even do it for you).

Generally, most areas the local authorities (Tessaban), will only act on the dog if the dog does not have an owner. Seeing as this dog has an owner the local authorities will more than likely tell you to talk to the police. Police will warn the owner, and then fine them if they do not change their ways. If it is a big problem (ie a menace to society), some District Office/Amphoes can sometimes help with their services to the community (as boss of Amphoe is in charge of all heads of villages). Others will be lazy or deem it not a big enough problem and tell you to go to the police. 

Edited by wildewillie89

5 hours ago, Phuket Man said:

Keep your gate closed. We do and no dogs come in.

Seems obvious to me.

OP said they were attacked whilst on public bench outside garden. Should be able to go outside garden without fear of toddler being attacked. 

I agree with other posters re negative reinforcement.  Any other villagers having issues? 

I just recently moved to a new mo ban and the amount of dogs are unbelievable, some homes with at least 4, others with 6 or more but at least they are locked up, with the exception of one, who tried to attack me whilst I was walking my German Shepherd.

Not a wise move, my boy put himself between me and the mongrel, took him down once by the throat, he got up came back for seconds and he was taken down, again by the throat and was given a good licking.  I'd say he was sore for quite some time after and haven't seen it since.

Maybe you need a bigger dog, one that is not fearful so you don't have to use the inhumane tactics that some are suggesting.  I know it can be frustrating but if this avenue is not open to you, then speak to the village head, who will normally put an end to it.:wai:

Edited by Si Thea01

14 hours ago, Beachbumm said:

I couldn't believe how many stray dogs I saw when I was in BKK. Is there no animal control in Thailand?

one thing you should do is get a spring for your gate so it always springs shut behind you..

No , No animal control, Thai people like animals until they have to start paying for them , Then they dump them on the local Temple for the Monks to take care off, That's why there are lots of Cats and dogs around Temples,

12 minutes ago, Thongkorn said:

No , No animal control, Thai people like animals until they have to start paying for them , Then they dump them on the local Temple for the Monks to take care off, That's why there are lots of Cats and dogs around Temples,

...and then they give all their money to the Temple in various merit making efforts so the monks can take care of the strays....

I dealt with the alpha dog of a threesome that were causing us trouble by giving it some food. Left over chicken etc. Now I barely get a growl out of it. Animals understand the pecking order of the food chain. May not work for the o/p though.

You asked about your rights and that is what I shall attempt to answer here. It depends on where you live. Dogs control is under the Tessabaan (City) not the police. In both Pattaya and Bangkok it is illegal to have your dog on the street unleashed. Any damage / mess it produces must be cleaned up by the owner. Of course that sound silly when there are thousands of stray/soi dogs running around but TIT. If your neighbor lets her dogs out for toileting / self exercise she is breaking the law. In Pattaya I have successfully  had the city authorities call and warn errant owners. In all cases the dogs and sometimes the owners have disappeared shortly after.

Well, the Soi Dog problematic is getting worse and worse and for that there is the MOPH which collects the dogs (against an non-receiptable outlay) and take care of the problem.

The neighbours dog(s) are the neighbours problem; just get on their nerves and, whenever there is anything, walk those two doors up and make a complaint, and a complaint, and a complaint.

They eventually will take care of the problem as they are loosing temper and face. And, what also helps is peppering the entire length of your gate, your dog as well will not go near the gate. Harmless and effective.