PHOTOS: from the grand opening of the new Pattaya Underpass

Jonathan Fairfield

My guess is in a few months after Somchai hasn't bothered maintaining anything and they get their first fire in there, they'll pour it full of concrete. Maybe then they'll finally start building the elevated highway they should've done in the first place.

4 hours ago, banchang said:

It is built at the top of a hill with a slope from one end to the other. The worst that will happen will be like a fast flowing river a couple of inches deep. So please everyone stop saying what happens when it floods!

Traffic flowing beautifully last night and today.

Great improvement, well done whoever thought it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

So you are asking us to Trust and have Faith in the Thais?

Obviously only for the hi-so in their limos happy to leave any sign of traditional thai life left in its wake. Not for the lady pushing a food trolley down to town, not for the man with an elephant, not for a cyclist and now no motorcycles.  

20 hours ago, lucjoker said:

Over speeding and overtaking ,what will happen when there is full trafic ?

My best guess is there will be no speeding or overtaking.

20 hours ago, lucjoker said:

If the fans not work and you have to wait in a blocked tunnel due to an accident ?

I think if you wind the windows up and put the aircon on recirculate (see below), you'll be just fine.

recirculate-button.jpg.f816cdda681185d6ef9050bdb0cefd2b.jpg

Nice to see actual tunnel users posting factual findings. Admittedly it is early days yet and it is totally untested on a holiday weekend but it is much better to consider the positives than listen to the perpetual glass half-empty type posts. Yes it was a colossal overspend of someone elses money and construction took longer than the TV resident underpass builders claimed it should but if you don't like it what can you do? I mean really, think about it. What can you do?

6 hours ago, NanLaew said:

My best guess is there will be no speeding or overtaking.

I think if you wind the windows up and put the aircon on recirculate (see below), you'll be just fine.

recirculate-button.jpg.f816cdda681185d6ef9050bdb0cefd2b.jpg

this is the automatic "turn back home " button ?

On 8/27/2017 at 9:18 PM, thhMan said:

So you are asking us to Trust and have Faith in the Thais?

It is their country and despite noise to the contrary, we are merely guests here so what other options do you suggest? 

Having asked, I am pretty sure there are others that like to stay at home with their tinfoil hat collection though.

55 minutes ago, edd said:

I went through yesterday
I can't see what all the fuss is
If you want to see a real tunnel try the Mersey tunnels.
Now that is a tunnel.

The Lærdal Tunnel (Norwegian: Lærdalstunnelen) is a 24.51-kilometre-long (15.23 mi) long road tunnel connecting Lærdal and Aurland in Sogn og Fjordane, Norway and located approximately 175–200 kilometres (109–124 mi) north-east of Bergen. It is the longest road tunnel in the world succeeding the Swiss Gotthard Road Tunnel. The tunnel carries two lanes of European Route E16 and represents the final link on the new main highway connecting Oslo and Bergen without ferry connections and difficult mountain crossings during winter.

15 minutes ago, giddyup said:

The Lærdal Tunnel (Norwegian: Lærdalstunnelen) is a 24.51-kilometre-long (15.23 mi) long road tunnel connecting Lærdal and Aurland in Sogn og Fjordane, Norway and located approximately 175–200 kilometres (109–124 mi) north-east of Bergen. It is the longest road tunnel in the world succeeding the Swiss Gotthard Road Tunnel. The tunnel carries two lanes of European Route E16 and represents the final link on the new main highway connecting Oslo and Bergen without ferry connections and difficult mountain crossings during winter.

Did that take ~3 years and a delayed opening due to a wet spot as well?

On 8/29/2017 at 9:04 AM, NanLaew said:

It is their country and despite noise to the contrary, we are merely guests here so what other options do you suggest? 

Having asked, I am pretty sure there are others that like to stay at home with their tinfoil hat collection though.

As expats, all this bending over and taking it like a man BS, is just crazy.. Im still amazed people accept it as the norm... Its called Xenophobia... Keep wearing the tinfoil hat and believing you are nothing....
Even guests have rights... Soi Dogs have more rights.... 
How many years of reporting to probation immigration officials to confirm your felon tourist status does it take before you say, enough is enough... Its a wonder we dont all wear ankle bracelets... 

4 hours ago, thhMan said:

As expats, all this bending over and taking it like a man BS, is just crazy.. Im still amazed people accept it as the norm... Its called Xenophobia... Keep wearing the tinfoil hat and believing you are nothing....
Even guests have rights... Soi Dogs have more rights.... 
How many years of reporting to probation immigration officials to confirm your felon tourist status does it take before you say, enough is enough... Its a wonder we dont all wear ankle bracelets... 

Umm... you talking to me? None of that 90-day immigration obeisance rubbish for me. The only thing I do more frequently than post on TV is leave the enchanted kingdom.

It's called xenophilia. You should try it.