Did anyone end up hating Thailand after retiring?

Aing123

2 hours ago, robblok said:

No chance of you changing that situation ? If I hated being at a certain place id move. 

It's funny that in a different context, this would be greeted with scorn and derision as an example of, "If you don't like it, the planes run both ways".  

But sometimes, this advice is the most humane thing you can say to someone who's miserable and either can't see it, or can't accept it.  It's tough (and quite sad) to give up on a dream, even after it's clear that I'm living a nightmare.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of the expats that I know, almost all absolutely love it here. From what I read on this forum, there are some who hate everything and that brings about 2 questions... Are they extremely short of funds? And would they equally hate any other place as well. Some people just like to complain...

I think you have enjoyed it enough here to give it a shot... just don't buy in and keep yourself flexible. Learn some Thai, smile and be non-confrontational, learn about the culture and I think you will have a great time. 

The problem often is that the dream is formalized years before the actual execution of the dream. So many things can change during the intervening years- attitude; the economy; governments; culture and one's own ability to adjust to the change. Thailand can be great if you can accept it for what it is...or it can drain you if you can't.

7 minutes ago, impulse said:

It's funny that in a different context, this would be greeted with scorn and derision as an example of, "If you don't like it, the planes run both ways".  

But sometimes, this advice is the most humane thing you can say to someone who's miserable and either can't see it, or can't accept it.  It's tough (and quite sad) to give up on a dream, even after it's clear that I'm living a nightmare.

This was meant in a positive way, trying to change what is wrong. Not like bugger off if you don't like it here. More like try to change the situation so your feeling happy. Sometimes people can't go back because of attachments here (not easy to get partner to other country or partner not liking it there). 

Life can be hard in Thailand I often do wonder about my future. Now things are all good but things can always change. 

49 minutes ago, fittobethaied said:

Tonray, I think you've hit on something here. Whether or not one can adapt to and enjoy Thailand has so much to do with ones own personality. Personally, I am very obsessive-compulsive and  am only comfortable in an environment where there is order, organization, symmetry, great aesthetics and surrounded by people who obey the rule of law and are basically good, honest and hardworking people who you can take at their word. If you are content to live in a place that is the exact opposite of those attributes, then you will enjoy the chaos that is Thailand. If not, then stay away from this place because it will drive you mad! I have devoted 7 years of my life to trying to adapt to this culture, and for me it's nothing more than an exercise in futility. 

My advice would be to try it for one year and see how it goes. If after that you are still having trouble adjusting, don't fool yourself into thinking that you just need a little more time. Your basic personality will never change and you must understand that oil and water can never ever mix.  Living in Thailand can suck the life right out of you if it's not a good mix for you.

Looks like you need to move to Fort Collins CO.  Lived there for 8 yrs, even graffiti is non-existent. A little too Stepford (wives) for me but I do miss the organization and honesty (and GREAT beer!)

This is the advice I give to anyone thinking of moving to Thailand. They need to do three things:

1 - Watch Thai tv at any time of the day or evening to familiarise yourself with the Thai mentality.

2 - Read the English language newspapers for a week to familiarise yourself with the daily tales of corruption.

3 - Spend an hour or two watching the way the locals drive to familiairise yourself with the 'Me first' mentality.

Then make your mind up if it is the country for you.

5 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

This is the advice I give to anyone thinking of moving to Thailand. They need to do three things:

1 - Watch Thai tv at any time of the day or evening to familiarise yourself with the Thai mentality.

2 - Read the English language newspapers for a week to familiarise yourself with the daily tales of corruption.

3 - Spend an hour or two watching the way the locals drive to familiairise yourself with the 'Me first' mentality.

Then make your mind up if it is the country for you.

I'd add:  Do it for at least a year before making any irrevocable decisions.  Or any that will be real expensive or heartbreaking to unwind.

The part in italics is a veiled reference to diligent condom use, among other things.

Edited by impulse

Good advice by Barry-  I often watch Thai TV and am still amazed by the things I hear and see regarding all things Thai.  The Thai mindset is just so completely different than ours and while I accept their way of doing things I can still think to myself there may be a better way.

When driving or living life in general I refuse to adhere to the 'me first' attitude-  I do not cut people off; I do not speed to get around cars and then 100 meters later make a turn; I open doors for people; I  act polite in all my dealings. I don't expect Thais to ever reciprocate for anything I do , say sorry for anything, or drive in a safe and sane manner. Once you ignore what other people do or say-life becomes simpler.

I moved here when I was in my 50's(now in my mid sixties), wish I had moved here earlier. I keep myself occupied with my hobbies and try to get to our land a few times each week to do bits and pieces, having something to occupy your mind is essential. I am married and live quite comfortably , you dont need a lot of money unless you are one to hit the bars/clubs, it all depends on your way of thinking and your attitude to life in general.  It does take a while to get used to living here, at first a lot of thai habits may well p*ss you off especially their driving but after a while you start to accept it. I find the ones that cant hack it here are those that are not happy within themselves so they find fault with everything, if you can see past the attitudes of some thais it is a great place to live provided you find the right region to live in as they all vary drastically. While I like visiting the north I couldnt live there, same with all the tourist destinations, your home base will make or break you so chose it wisely and make sure you are able to do things you enjoy in the region around it.

3 hours ago, tonray said:

I'll quote myself because I wanted to elaborate a bit here. I am 59 and decided to quit working a few years early...but pre-pension (earliest I can reasonably draw SS and Pension monies is 62). I have assets and investments but keeping to a tight budget until that steady income flow comes in at 62. Keeping a strict budget AND being retired in Thailand is difficult, I am finding the transition from working every day to having nothing to do daunting and the cash restrictions are limiting my activities. So just something to keep in mind. When you are working all day you have the advantage of a steady paycheck and since you are working, less opportunity to spend money.

I've liked talk radio since it's inception around 1973.

I  recall the exact place i was when I heard a caller to Bob Brinker's program say people generally have it wrong.    The caller said when a person retires he needs more  money  and income than while working because the retiree has more time to spend it.

Results vary and while I'm not a big spender,  I sometimes wonder if i should indulge more and thoroughly enjoy the fruits of my  working career.

P.S.  Bob Brinker's podcasts are financial advisement.

He's made some important calls.

Edited by watcharacters

13 hours ago, Aing123 said:

On my own.

It depends on your financial circumstances and what you want to do.

The biggest factor is health.  If you are in any way sick then dont come.

It's a great place.  The food is cheap and the outdoor life suits me.  It's great to be in fresh air most of the time.

12 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

I've liked talk radio since it's inception around 1973.

I  recall the exact place i was when I heard a caller to Bob Brinker's program say people generally have it wrong.    The caller said when a person retires he needs more  money  and income than while working because the retiree has more time to spend it.

Results vary and while I'm not a big spender,  I sometimes wonder if i should indulge more and thoroughly enjoy the fruits of my  working career.

P.S.  Bob Brinker's podcasts are financial advisement.

He's made some important calls.

I used to listen all the time.. The land of critical mass. Love Bob

17 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Good advice by Barry-  I often watch Thai TV and am still amazed by the things I hear and see regarding all things Thai.  The Thai mindset is just so completely different than ours and while I accept their way of doing things I can still think to myself there may be a better way.

When driving or living life in general I refuse to adhere to the 'me first' attitude-  I do not cut people off; I do not speed to get around cars and then 100 meters later make a turn; I open doors for people; I  act polite in all my dealings. I don't expect Thais to ever reciprocate for anything I do , say sorry for anything, or drive in a safe and sane manner. Once you ignore what other people do or say-life becomes simpler.

The strangest thing is when you try to hold a door open for a Thai.  They really have no idea what to do Or say.  They just stand there in a trance... 555

Edited by tonray

Horses for courses! Is there a perfect place to live? everywhere has its good and bad points, some more than others, show me the perfect place to live and I guarantee someone on TV will find fault. :shock1:

Thailand works for me most of the time, the humidity in the summer becomes oppressive, but that is offset by the positives, one of the most important things for me is the tax situation, Thailand works for me in that respect.

As I get older I am content to stay at home more, so a decent house and garden are important to me, I would not be happy living in a condo. Having basic house rules from the off are important also, one part of my house is English only, no Thai TV or music, family are welcome to visit, but not stay more than the odd night.

Works for me! your needs and wants will be different - give it a try before committing?

3 hours ago, tonray said:

I'll quote myself because I wanted to elaborate a bit here. I am 59 and decided to quit working a few years early...but pre-pension (earliest I can reasonably draw SS and Pension monies is 62). I have assets and investments but keeping to a tight budget until that steady income flow comes in at 62. Keeping a strict budget AND being retired in Thailand is difficult, I am finding the transition from working every day to having nothing to do daunting and the cash restrictions are limiting my activities. So just something to keep in mind. When you are working all day you have the advantage of a steady paycheck and since you are working, less opportunity to spend money.

Well stated.  I am in a similar situation and contemplated retiring last year at 59. Plenty of income and cash without even getting to social security.  But I know I wold be bored.  I am an engineer and I like solving problems and testing things.  At some point I will tire of the routine which is getting boring as it is.  Then some travel and a long stint in Thailand to try things out.  I have been there many times, staying as long as two months at a time.  Got bored.  No ifs ands or buts about it.

19 minutes ago, tonray said:

The strangest thing is when you try to hold a door open for a Thai.  They really have no idea what to do Or say.  They just stand there in a trance... 555

Where do you live.. here in BKK its appreciated if I do so, when passing a door and someone is coming behind me i keep the door open so it does not slam into them.. never a trance... mostly a smile.. but always passing through the door.

22 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

In general,  do you agree or disagree with what his caller said?

I think people that try to maintain the same keeping up with the rat race mode will spend more. After you retire I think it's smart to downsize the home, find a lower cost of living so you can travel and do more adventurous things. I was a financial adviser ( independent)  before retiring and you can live comfortably on 70 % of working income but the composition of your budget will necessarily change.  Less auto and commuting, cut landscaping costs, fire the maid, etc. 

In America, while working we essentially outsource our lives. House gets cleaned,  lawn mowed,  kids babysat for while we work. Many still carry all that after retirement which will cost a whole lot and limit money for travel, etc. 

Edited by tonray

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

Where do you live.. here in BKK its appreciated if I do so, when passing a door and someone is coming behind me i keep the door open so it does not slam into them.. never a trance... mostly a smile.. but always passing through the door.

Thonburi. They are shocked around here, especially if the person is a clerk or maintenance person. There is a caste system in Thailand and a white foreigner holding open a door throws them. 

What is there to hate about Thailand? Thailand is what it is. The problem happens to be the people who come here with outlandish expectations of retiring in paradise. When the expectations are not met then the hate begins. 

Thailand hasn't changed, it is what you bring with you. If you are not happy in the UK or the US what makes you think you will be happy in Thailand.

Just now, tonray said:

Thonburi. They are shocked around here, especially if the person is a clerk or maintenance person. There is a caste system in Thailand and a white foreigner holding open a door throws them. 

I know about the caste system, but maybe my example is different.. If I am going through a door and someone is following me with groceries i just can't not leave the door open. (walking on). Its not like i go out of my way to open the door or would do it if the person is not holding hands full of stuff. (or following closely and would get a door slammed int he face).

Anyway no problem here. 

4 hours ago, tonray said:

On the work thing. I am retired and in the last few years I've been offered a couple of part time jobs that I would have loved to have done but can't take the risk. Get caught without a WP and you could end up being slung out. It means you really can't have any kind of hobby that could make you a bit extra, well you could until someone finds out and makes a couple of phone calls, and some expats are quite capable of making those calls as well.

That is the one thing that annoys me.

Edited by overherebc

Never hated it but hated some things about it but not enough to ever seriously consider leaving. Everywhere has pluses and minuses. Educated Thais I treat as 'Educated Thais' many much brighter than many a farang and 'everyday Thais' I treat as 12 year olds - life's simpler that way.

52 minutes ago, CGW said:

Horses for courses! Is there a perfect place to live? everywhere has its good and bad points, some more than others, show me the perfect place to live and I guarantee someone on TV will find fault. :shock1:

Thailand works for me most of the time, the humidity in the summer becomes oppressive, but that is offset by the positives, one of the most important things for me is the tax situation, Thailand works for me in that respect.

As I get older I am content to stay at home more, so a decent house and garden are important to me, I would not be happy living in a condo. Having basic house rules from the off are important also, one part of my house is English only, no Thai TV or music, family are welcome to visit, but not stay more than the odd night.

Works for me! your needs and wants will be different - give it a try before committing?

Never had any of the family stay. If they appear they book a nearby hotel and stay there, maybe once a year.

Why should I hate Thailand? It was MY decision to enter this country. What I'm able to hate is the stupidity of my decision. But as I stay here even after many years, I'm still happy to live here. And....if I won't be happy......I'll flee the country (see Yingluck....:cheesy:)

56 minutes ago, robblok said:

I know about the caste system, but maybe my example is different.. If I am going through a door and someone is following me with groceries i just can't not leave the door open. (walking on). Its not like i go out of my way to open the door or would do it if the person is not holding hands full of stuff. (or following closely and would get a door slammed int he face).

Anyway no problem here. 

Where in BKK?