Foreigner pepper-sprays cashiers at minimart before stealing cigarettes and cheap wine coolers

snoop1130

On 31/8/2017 at 8:47 AM, lordblackader said:

It's so school kids don't buy alcohol on the way home from school - not joking.

That is what i have been told too..  I have also wondered why..  I mean you can not, officially anyway and as far as I know, buy alcohol if you are under age,  in tesco, 7/11 etc..  Wich also happen to be the only places that actually follow that law..  I mean when I buy booze in the local tesco,  I even have to choose a checkout where the cashier is over 18.. They have some under age workers there,  and they are not even allowed to sell the alcohol..

But then again,  I only buy booze there if I just happen to be there in the "open booze" hours.. Else i just go to the nearest mom&pop shop and buy any day at any hour..  Wich the under age kids could surely do too.. 

Edited by Lowryderen
  • Like 1

Thanks. I guess I

21 hours ago, Xaos said:

Its up to 10 years and 1mil bath for paper spray can, more then for ganja or firearms. Lets that sink in

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

will spray the attackers with ganja. Then hit them with a firearm.

• Haha 2

assume you have evidence to support your statement?

Here u go

"Civilians found in possession of pepper spray can by law be jailed for up to 10 years and fined as much as Bt1 million. In other words, the penalty is far worse than if you’re caught with illicit drugs or a firearm. And the penalty is enough to ensure obedience. Few law-abiding citizens would risk breaking the law on pepper spray, even when there are thousands of convicted criminals with lethal weapons roaming the streets unmolested by police."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/opinion/30303925

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This whole alcohol trading hours restriction nonsense really needs to end. Which moron came up with the absurd hours of 11am-2pm and 5pm-midnight trading hours? What happens if it's 1.57pm and you have an old lady in line and by the time you come up to the counter it's 2.01pm, will the lady at the checkout say sorry it's 2.01pm you can't buy this anymore?

If Thailand wants to make it more difficult to purchase alcohol, how about ONLY selling it in special "bottle shops" (ie. liquor stores) like in Australia? What you do is you set-up a shop that has a license to sell alcohol only. You prohibit supermarkets and convenience stores from selling alcohol (which is kind of a no-brainer really). Supermarkets can set up their own "bottle shops" on-site, but they must be in a separate room with separate check-out (again, see Australia as an example). If trading hours restrictions apply then the bottle shop would only be allowed to open during those hours.

This dude was an idiot but Thailand's bizarre alcohol sales restrictions only make things worse.

Perhaps an email to the Thai Ministry of Commerce outlining what Australia does would be in order as a suggestion to solve this problem.

• Haha 1

On 9/4/2017 at 5:17 PM, Xaos said:

Here u go

"Civilians found in possession of pepper spray can by law be jailed for up to 10 years and fined as much as Bt1 million. In other words, the penalty is far worse than if you’re caught with illicit drugs or a firearm. And the penalty is enough to ensure obedience. Few law-abiding citizens would risk breaking the law on pepper spray, even when there are thousands of convicted criminals with lethal weapons roaming the streets unmolested by police."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/opinion/30303925

Seems pretty excessive and a bit odd given that firearms can legally be possessed in Thailand (at least by Thai citizens)?

What exactly are the gun laws in Thailand, do Thais have a right to bear arms like Americans do? Can they just walk into a gun shop and purchase a gun?

35 minutes ago, jimster said:

This whole alcohol trading hours restriction nonsense really needs to end. Which moron came up with the absurd hours of 11am-2pm and 5pm-midnight trading hours? What happens if it's 1.57pm and you have an old lady in line and by the time you come up to the counter it's 2.01pm, will the lady at the checkout say sorry it's 2.01pm you can't buy this anymore?

If Thailand wants to make it more difficult to purchase alcohol, how about ONLY selling it in special "bottle shops" (ie. liquor stores) like in Australia? What you do is you set-up a shop that has a license to sell alcohol only. You prohibit supermarkets and convenience stores from selling alcohol (which is kind of a no-brainer really). Supermarkets can set up their own "bottle shops" on-site, but they must be in a separate room with separate check-out (again, see Australia as an example). If trading hours restrictions apply then the bottle shop would only be allowed to open during those hours.

This dude was an idiot but Thailand's bizarre alcohol sales restrictions only make things worse.

Perhaps an email to the Thai Ministry of Commerce outlining what Australia does would be in order as a suggestion to solve this problem.

Perhaps the law is copied from an older UK law... 

One section of the UK's 1914 'Defense of the Realm' Act restricted alcohol sales to between 12pm and 2:30pm, and 6:30pm to 10:30pm with derestriction taking place in the 1980's to permit alcohol sales from 11am to 11pm. 

It took the Sunday Trade act in 1994 to permit shops to open on Sundays. 

And Sunday trading laws still only allow shops larger than 280sqm to open up to 6 hours on a Sunday (I'm not sure if this has changed or not).

All seemingly daft laws... just like Thailands Alcohol laws, the timing makes little sense but perhaps the reasoning and back story stem from our own back yard. 

In Australia the pubs had a 6pm closing time for a long time leading up to the 50's after which there was some relaxation to 10pm. 

It's easy to get angry at these seemingly innocuous regulations we thing a foreign government has idiotically placed on its people, in doing so we fail to look inwards in our acceptance without question of laws which existed in our own countries. 

Yes, the law seems daft, yes, its inconvenient... but its by no means a major issue in Thailand - unless your'e an alcoholic who's failed to plan for tomorrow. 

The guy referred to in the Op [Pepper sprayer] is simply an aggressive tool who needs to be removed from society and taught a lesson. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

One section of the UK's 1914 'Defense of the Realm' Act restricted alcohol sales to between 12pm and 2:30pm, and 6:30pm to 10:30pm with derestriction taking place in the 1980's to permit alcohol sales from 11am to 11pm. 

And Sunday trading laws still only allow shops larger than 280sqm to open up to 6 hours on a Sunday (I'm not sure if this has changed or not).

All seemingly daft laws... just like Thailands Alcohol laws, the timing makes little sense but perhaps the reasoning and back story stem from our own back yard. 

In Australia the pubs had a 6pm closing time for a long time leading up to the 50's after which there was some relaxation to 10pm. 

It's easy to get angry at these seemingly innocuous regulations we thing a foreign government has idiotically placed on its people, in doing so we fail to look inwards in our acceptance without question of laws which existed in our own countries. 

Yes, the law seems daft, yes, its inconvenient... but its by no means a major issue in Thailand - unless your'e an alcoholic who's failed to plan for tomorrow. 

The guy referred to in the Op [Pepper sprayer] is simply an aggressive tool who needs to be removed from society and taught a lesson. 

Oh so it's the licensing laws fault that this poor guy had to resort to armed robbery.

Poor man..let's free him and hey maybe reward him

1 minute ago, Expatthailover said:
45 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Oh so it's the licensing laws fault that this poor guy had to resort to armed robbery.

Poor man..let's free him and hey maybe reward him

Only in as much as its probably your schools fault that your reading comprehension is so poor you've misunderstood my post completely.... :whistling:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, jimster said:

Seems pretty excessive and a bit odd given that firearms can legally be possessed in Thailand (at least by Thai citizens)?

What exactly are the gun laws in Thailand, do Thais have a right to bear arms like Americans do? Can they just walk into a gun shop and purchase a gun?

are you serious

There are some very very smart highly educated people making all these decisions and you dare to question them !!

42 minutes ago, morrobay said:

cigarette smoker, anyone surprised 

ahhhh .... there you go. A psychologist among us.

On behalf of the 1 billion smokers on the planet, perhaps you could elaborate a little on your brief post.

You know .... the connection between being a smoker and armed robbery ?

• Like 1

On 5/6/2018 at 6:04 PM, morrobay said:

"Studies reveal that smokers tend to be more extroverted, anxious, tense, and impulsive, and show more traits of neuroticism and psychoticism than do ex-smokers or nonsmokers. The literature also reveals a strong association between smoking and mental disorders, such as schizophrenia and depression."

:stoner: About to celebrate 4 years without a cigarette, and boy do I feel normal. (sarcasm alert)

On 8/30/2017 at 6:35 PM, Nemesis7 said:

Not too many bashing here, had it been an Chinese, Indian or arab by now the threads would have been pouring like rain.

Hard to pass comments like that when the nationality has not yet been revealed.  You could add British to your list too.

Would you have us simply rail against all white guys?

Edited by jacko45k

Even if pepper spray isn't allowed in Thailand, is there any sort of defense spray, perhaps a milder sort, that is legal? Would be good to have in the car in case some road rager decides to start something.

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2017 at 5:56 PM, Thaiwrath said:

Severe prison sentence needed for such a crime.

Start setting examples, it might just act as a deterrent !

For a Thai, that's a 5000 THB fine and many groveling wais to the cashiers and Thai society.  It should be different from Khun Stupid Farang?