Trump says 'talking not the answer' on North Korea, Mattis disagrees

webfact

1 hour ago, ilostmypassword said:

Basically, I've got the experts and you've got an emoji.  You have a lot of faith in images but not so much in reason.

Seems a few here think you've not got much reason. Trying to defend this guy is strange.

Just now, craigt3365 said:

Seems a few here think you've not got much reason. Trying to defend this guy is strange.

You seem to have some kind of a learning disability. I'm not defending him. And when it comes to the complications of foreign affairs, some of us know that you can never have too much of reason.  And then there are those who prefer emojis.

12 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Well, insane with reference to whether or not he's reckless and liable to blow up the world. Why would it be relevant to discuss in this context his mental health if it wasn't about whether is like a bomb ready to go off at any minute. Who cares about his mental health otherwise? Is it that you have a sincere concern for his well-being?

hahaha I genuinely find you hilarious.
And have a feeling you need to get out a little more....
The guy is a nutcase! Who cares if it is clinical or not! I sure don't.

Just now, Sig said:

hahaha I genuinely find you hilarious.
And have a feeling you need to get out a little more....
The guy is a nutcase! Who cares if it is clinical or not! I sure don't.

You got it  wrong. . The question is whether he's a major threat to the rest of the world or not. If not, who cares about his mental health? 

1 minute ago, ilostmypassword said:

You got it  wrong. . The question is whether he's a major threat to the rest of the world or not. If not, who cares about his mental health? 

I don't know what the "it" is that you refer to that I have wrong, but if somebody thinks a nutcase who keeps 25 million + people in a brainwashed state, with the threat of death, treating him like a god and who also just happens to have nukes and who regularly threatens to use them, is not a major threat.... wow... not sure what planet I would prefer that person to live on! But preferably far from me!
Now, just how to deal with such an INSANE individual.... THAT is a question that is very complicated to say the least. But you crack me up with your hilarious semantic silliness about whether he is insane or not. The guy is a major nutjob! And I am thinking your "experts" are pretty nutso themselves if they don't think a guy who rules the lives of millions of people as though they are less than human and he is essentially a god, is not insane.... leave it to ridiculous experts to classify what insane is. They need a new dictionary!

10 minutes ago, Sig said:

I don't know what the "it" is that you refer to that I have wrong, but if somebody thinks a nutcase who keeps 25 million + people in a brainwashed state, with the threat of death, treating him like a god and who also just happens to have nukes and who regularly threatens to use them, is not a major threat.... wow... not sure what planet I would prefer that person to live on! But preferably far from me!
Now, just how to deal with such an INSANE individual.... THAT is a question that is very complicated to say the least. But you crack me up with your hilarious semantic silliness about whether he is insane or not. The guy is a major nutjob! And I am thinking your "experts" are pretty nutso themselves if they don't think a guy who rules the lives of millions of people as though they are less than human and he is essentially a god, is not insane.... leave it to ridiculous experts to classify what insane is. They need a new dictionary!

Educate yourself:

Kim Jong Un Is a Survivor, Not a Madman

North Korea's behavior might seem irrational to outsiders, but the Kim regime is just taking logical actions to survive...

As a guide for understanding North Korea, this analysis is just plain wrong. As a guide for crafting policy toward Pyongyang, it may be catastrophic. 

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/04/26/kim-jong-un-is-a-survivor-not-a-madman/

49 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2010/12/are-all-murderers-mentally-ill/67295/

"You see, I truly believe that murderers are mentally ill," she explains. "Their brains don't work like the rest of ours do. To deliberately kill someone requires crossing a profound boundary. Most of us couldn't do it. We couldn't even think about it. But they can. They do. Why? Because they're mentally ill."

If millions are killed by a nuclear war -

Does it make a difference if this was started by a mentally ill person or a sane one?

(Oh yes, the sane one would be executed and the one mentally ill  would get medical treatment and tender, loving care)

Edited by sweatalot

6 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Educate yourself:

North Korea's behavior might seem irrational to outsiders, but the Kim regime is just taking logical actions to survive...

As a guide for understanding North Korea, this analysis is just plain wrong. As a guide for crafting policy toward Pyongyang, it may be catastrophic. 

You are truly funny.
I'm not sure how high that horse is that you're sitting on, but be careful when you get down from there, it seems to be a long ways down!
"Educate yourself" hmmm being that you don't know me from  Adam, that's pretty funny.
Unless you are from North Korea or have spent time there, I'm willing to bet that I may know a fair amount about it more than you do. No need for specifics, but I have spent a fair amount of time over the last few decades in direct interaction and am perhaps not as clueless as you seem to think. I never said anything alluding to Un being irrational. You assume much. Then again, if you want to play semantic games again... one would be reasonable to say that he is completely irrational in the case that it is not reasonable to need to live as he does. But if describing him as rational in the context of upholding an insane paradigm, then of course he is utterly rational and all the bigger a nutjob.
Enjoy your evening.... I actually have other things to do with my life... spent FAR too long on this fun forum tonight!

4 minutes ago, Sig said:

You are truly funny.
I'm not sure how high that horse is that you're sitting on, but be careful when you get down from there, it seems to be a long ways down!
"Educate yourself" hmmm being that you don't know me from  Adam, that's pretty funny.
Unless you are from North Korea or have spent time there, I'm willing to bet that I may know a fair amount about it more than you do. No need for specifics, but I have spent a fair amount of time over the last few decades in direct interaction and am perhaps not as clueless as you seem to think. I never said anything alluding to Un being irrational. You assume much. Then again, if you want to play semantic games again... one would be reasonable to say that he is completely irrational in the case that it is not reasonable to need to live as he does. But if describing him as rational in the context of upholding an insane paradigm, then of course he is utterly rational and all the bigger a nutjob.
Enjoy your evening.... I actually have other things to do with my life... spent FAR too long on this fun forum tonight!

Anybody can claim expertise on a forum.. So I don't care about your claims to superior knowledge. You certainly haven't demonstrated that you have access to it so far..

1 hour ago, ilostmypassword said:

Educate yourself:

Andrei Lankov is from Russia. You keep posting this one article. And in a way, are for sure showing support for a brutal dictator.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-39269783

Prof Andrei Lankov of Kookmin University in Seoul told the BBC: "He is perfectly rational. He sometimes overdoes it. He sometimes tends to apply excessive force. Why kill hundreds of generals when dozens will do?

Lankov seems to have lost the plot.  LOL

4 hours ago, sweatalot said:

If millions are killed by a nuclear war -

Does it make a difference if this was started by a mentally ill person or a sane one?

(Oh yes, the sane one would be executed and the one mentally ill  would get medical treatment and tender, loving care)

True! But hopefully, you could negotiate with a sane one. Impossible to do with a mentally ill one likes Kim. As has been proven.

I very strongly suggest members stop with the inflammatory remarks.   Continue and suspensions will be given.

Oh, and by the way, you can be both a madman and wish to survive.   They are not mutually exclusive.   Those who don't wish to survive are moving toward the area of suicide, which some also consider to be a mental illness.  

Now back to the topic.  

15 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Trump may try, but luckily, cooler heads are around him. If he did try this, it might start the impeachment process.  Hmmmm.....

I think Tonray is suggesting the possibility that the generals may overthrow Trump "to protect the country".

Has never happened anywhere else, you say? :shock1:

Keep in mind that N Korea was originally backed by the USSR and Russia is still their strongest partner.  Their nukes and missiles didn't come out of nowhere, latest reports trace the tech back to the Ukraine.

Now Putin can help his bf #45 by creating a "crisis" and help Trump appear to be solving the problem.  So my prediction: Trump will continue to threaten Kim, Putin will talk to Kim behind the scenes, and N Korea will back down.  And fools will give the credit to Trump.

7 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

Educate yourself:

Kim Jong Un is thinking precisely the way Wall Street money makers do, Trump included are thinking. Making most for themselves and making sure that they will survive, no matter what happens to the lesser people. 

The problem now is that we have two, lesser educated Wall Street selfish maniacs against each other. 

They think that the whole world is their, and only their, playground. They don't really care if billions of people die due their actions, they only care of their own wellbeing. That is the scary point of giving these kind of people real power. It should have not happened in North Korea, it should have not happened in the USA.

However it did happen. 

If this had been a game of RISK, I would have played the way Kim Jong Un did. That's the logical way to do. However, this is not a game for the rest of the world and there are real consequences for all of us if things turn out to be really bad. 

For those players, it's just a game as they care a little of others.

12 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2010/12/are-all-murderers-mentally-ill/67295/

"You see, I truly believe that murderers are mentally ill," she explains. "Their brains don't work like the rest of ours do. To deliberately kill someone requires crossing a profound boundary. Most of us couldn't do it. We couldn't even think about it. But they can. They do. Why? Because they're mentally ill."

You know the difference between unstable and ill? Seems you have let Kim evolve from one to the other.

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

You know the difference between unstable and ill? Seems you have let Kim evolve from one to the other.

Yes. Either way, he's brutalized his people for far too long. Committed a variety of crimes, provided WMDs to Syria, etc. And now, threatening his neighbors and the US with nuclear war. Ill, unstable, does it make a difference?

7 hours ago, oilinki said:

Kim Jong Un is thinking precisely the way Wall Street money makers do, Trump included are thinking. Making most for themselves and making sure that they will survive, no matter what happens to the lesser people. 
The problem now is that we have two, lesser educated Wall Street selfish maniacs against each other. 

They think that the whole world is their, and only their, playground. They don't really care if billions of people die due their actions, they only care of their own wellbeing. That is the scary point of giving these kind of people real power. It should have not happened in North Korea, it should have not happened in the USA.
However it did happen. If this had been a game of RISK, I would have played the way Kim Jong Un did. That's the logical way to do. However, this is not a game for the rest of the world and there are real consequences for all of us if things turn out to be really bad. For those players, it's just a game as they care a little of others.

Good points. Trump has shown he has zero compassion for anyone who's not rich, not in his family or not a US general.  that's 99.9999 % of the world's population.  Kim is worse.

Another factor, as big as any other in this topic, is over-population. When numbers of one species grow unchecked within a finite sized space (habitable parts of our 1 planet), then population checks are inevitable. It is happening, and will accellerate on several fronts: Increasing #'s of deaths ensue for disease, natural disasters, wars, asphyxiation, fleeing from one place to another.  Some of those are naturally-caused, others are man-induced.  Certainly war is man-made.