What's your stance vs the eyes-glued-to-smartphone zombie generation?

smo

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adding to my earlier comment, I wonder how many users of Smartphones even understand them? An anecdote from just yesterday: I ordered something from Lazada which was supposed to be delivered by Kerry Express (whatever that is). I got a phone call asking me where my house was! Not being very fluent in Thai (I know; shame on me), I couldn't give them directions and had to go to a neighbor for help. So the point is, instead of calling me, I wonder why the delivery person didn't use Google Maps to find my house? Since he ostensibly worked for a delivery company I'd think he'd be aware of the app. But I suspect more likely that the thought of using his phone for something other than playing games (all with "in app purchases!") just didn't enter his mind.

Anecdotes prove nothing of course, but I'm thinking that the majority of people who use Smartphones really have no idea about the power they hold in their hands.

4 minutes ago, sturdyd said:

So the point is, instead of calling me, I wonder why the delivery person didn't use Google Maps to find my house?

If you enter the address you provided to Kerry into Google Maps does it point to your house? Have you tried it?

That said, I've given GPS co-ordinates to delivery services, they still can't find us without a phone call.

12 minutes ago, sturdyd said:

Adding to my earlier comment, I wonder how many users of Smartphones even understand them? An anecdote from just yesterday: I ordered something from Lazada which was supposed to be delivered by Kerry Express (whatever that is). I got a phone call asking me where my house was! Not being very fluent in Thai (I know; shame on me), I couldn't give them directions and had to go to a neighbor for help. So the point is, instead of calling me, I wonder why the delivery person didn't use Google Maps to find my house? Since he ostensibly worked for a delivery company I'd think he'd be aware of the app. But I suspect more likely that the thought of using his phone for something other than playing games (all with "in app purchases!") just didn't enter his mind.

Anecdotes prove nothing of course, but I'm thinking that the majority of people who use Smartphones really have no idea about the power they hold in their hands.

"Kerry express (whatever that is)."  Start here, this is in the Google browser... https://www.google.co.th/search?q=kerry+express+thailand&oq=kerry+express&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j0l4.4428j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Its a dam site easier for the delivery man to ring rather than start punching addresses into a sat nav. He has probably upwards of 50 drops a day. He knows the area but not specific addresses. So he phones ahead using blue tooth headset of course. He can then maximise his days workload.  If there is no answeer he would try delivery the next day if he doesnt know where you are. Ours phones to tell us he's on his way.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

If you enter the address you provided to Kerry into Google Maps does it point to your house? Have you tried it?

That said, I've given GPS co-ordinates to delivery services, they still can't find us without a phone call.

That is the price you pay when you live 5 km from the nearest 7/11.

Its a dam site easier for the delivery man to ring rather than start punching addresses into a sat nav. He has probably upwards of 50 drops a day. He knows the area but not specific addresses. So he phones ahead using blue tooth headset of course. He can then maximise his days workload.  If there is no answeer he would try delivery the next day if he doesnt know where you are. Ours phones to tell us he's on his way.

Google maps is great, except when it's not !!
I tried to get into the Navanakorn industrial estate by a short cut yesterday to avoid traffic . Google sent me round some back streets, through a temple and up to a wall with a gap in it wide enough for a motorbike but not my car [emoji20]

Also, you can drop a pin and create your home coordinates easily to share with people or send in a message, that person can then input your info and get directions to your home, good if your address is a bit sketchy ( see my House Number Quiz thread !! )

Or, as said above,you can use your smartphone as a phone !! ( yes it can be done ), sometimes the quickest option.

The whole cell phone craze strikes me as childish, those people passing the majority of their waking hours staring at a screen engaged in mindless, simpleton activities that have no true value beyond keeping their brain occupied because they are unable to occupy it themselves. But, to each their own.

Here’s the daily plan: Check the plethora of social medias they’ve joined in hopes of a reply to their previous comments, a thumbs-up, somebody liked them and asked to be their friend. Somebody disliked them or defriended them…oh the heartbreak! A dozen varieties of the smiley face. A reply of LOL by somebody that in reality probably didn’t even smile. Or the grand ROTFLMAO by somebody that in reality might have had a single internal, inaudible huff of a chuckle.

After checking all the social media and re-reading past conversations that would bore you to tears in real life, head to the forums to comment on conversations that would bore you to tears in real life. Surf the net and look at pictures/videos until your bored and don’t know what to do so you start back at the beginning to see if there are any new ‘thumbs-ups’ on your plethora of social media. Repeat the cycle all day long even if your eyes and neck are killing you. Leave the phone on at night so you can jump up like it’s a life and death emergency because you’ve received a text message regarding nothing of real importance.

It brings to my mind a classroom full of elementary children jabbering away to each other in all directions, passing notes with hearts, smiley faces, middle fingers, and little messages that say if you will be my friend please check this box.

And one can’t possibly fly on an airplane without checking-in online, choosing a seat and printing a boarding pass. Likewise, one can’t travel without a smart phone. Can’t find a given location without google maps and a dozen apps. In essence, they’re helpless without it. But they will advise others to quit being old farts and join the age of technology.

Don’t forget to tweet what you had for breakfast and how your morning dump went, and post a dozen selfies on Facebook because your family and friends just adore them and will shower you with ‘likes’ and ‘thumbs-ups’. Oh, what an ego stroker! It's all so important you can still glue your eyes to your phone when you're driving, if you crash and kill someone it's totally understandable.

Obviously, here I am on TV making a comment of my opinions. I don’t have a cell phone, or any phone, but I do use my laptop to get on the internet for about an hour each morning. I check things that interest me, use e-mail if needed, and then sign-off and go about my day. I find both sides of this cell phone conversation interesting. To me the internet is like shopping. I don’t go to the store unless I really need something, then I walk straight to the item I need, buy it and leave the store. Like I said, to each his own.

I’ll check back every five minutes for the rest of the day to see if I got a thumbs-up or smiley face for my opinions here. Be nice, I’m a fragile and delicate person and my feelings are easily hurt.

Edited by ColeBOzbourne

13 minutes ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

The whole cell phone craze strikes me as childish, those people passing the majority of their waking hours staring at a screen engaged in mindless, simpleton activities that have no true value beyond keeping their brain occupied because they are unable to occupy it themselves. But, to each their own.

Here’s the daily plan: Check the plethora of social medias they’ve joined in hopes of a reply to their previous comments, a thumbs-up, somebody liked them and asked to be their friend. Somebody disliked them or defriended them…oh the heartbreak! A dozen varieties of the smiley face. A reply of LOL by somebody that in reality probably didn’t even smile. Or the grand ROTFLMAO by somebody that in reality might have had a single internal, inaudible huff of a chuckle.

After checking all the social media and re-reading past conversations that would bore you to tears in real life, head to the forums to comment on conversations that would bore you to tears in real life. Surf the net and look at pictures/videos until your bored and don’t know what to do so you start back at the beginning to see if there are any new ‘thumbs-ups’ on your plethora of social media. Repeat the cycle all day long even if your eyes and neck are killing you. Leave the phone on at night so you can jump up like it’s a life and death emergency because you’ve received a text message regarding nothing of real importance.

It brings to my mind a classroom full of elementary children jabbering away to each other in all directions, passing notes with hearts, smiley faces, middle fingers, and little messages that say if you will be my friend please check this box.

And one can’t possibly fly on an airplane without checking-in online, choosing a seat and printing a boarding pass. Likewise, one can’t travel without a smart phone. Can’t find a given location without google maps and a dozen apps. In essence, they’re helpless without it. But they will advise others to quit being old farts and join the age of technology.

Don’t forget to tweet what you had for breakfast and how your morning dump went, and post a dozen selfies on Facebook because your family and friends just adore them and will shower you with ‘likes’ and ‘thumbs-ups’. Oh, what an ego stroker!

Obviously, here I am on TV making a comment of my opinions. I don’t have a cell phone, or any phone, but I do use my laptop to get on the internet for about an hour each morning. I check things that interest me, use e-mail if needed, and then sign-off and go about my day. I find both sides of this cell phone conversation interesting. To me the internet is like shopping. I don’t go to the store unless I really need something, then I walk straight to the item I need, buy it and leave the store. Like I said, to each his own.

I’ll check back every five minutes for the rest of the day to see if I got a thumbs-up or smiley face for my opinions here. Be nice, I’m a fragile and delicate person and my feelings are easily hurt.

Thats your take and good for you. Childish? What about people who are internet worked based and need to be availavle on line at any given time. What about those who are house bound and need a phone and the internet or do they have to dit and stare at 4 walls.

Its not a craze its called technology same as when TV became color everybody wanted a color tv then no diffrent now. We are not all on FB or Twitter or whats app. I use skype so i can talk to people thousands of miles away and see them if need be on my smart phone wherever i may be. I get get a lot of thumbs up usualy sad or confused things beacuse im not a falang appologist so i dont bother checking back. I dont expect you will read this untill your hr of Internet tm.

Keep well

2 hours ago, sturdyd said:

I'd agree with your last point that many are unaware of what the can achieve with their smart phone.

However, regarding delivery, the delivery driver it not familiar with reading maps - this is not uncommon here. I've had UBER & Grab drivers call up because they are unable to follow the GPS point on the map. 

On Thursday, September 07, 2017 at 11:19 AM, marquis22 said:

Live with it, it is here to stay!

Once upon a time, it was books and newspapers, but now phones and tablets.

Yes , my old man worked for Shell in the City ( London ) all his life , furled brolly , bowler hat , briefcase and a copy of The Daily Telegraph to read on the 8.15 to London Bridge .  But all those walking over London Bridge on their way to the office looked where they were going they didn't collide with each other because they were reading books !

Well, as I said, anecdotes prove nothing. Still, had I not had a nice neighbor handy I probably wouldn't have received my package. I visited the Kerry site referenced by joeyg. Looks good, nice trucks and all, but my delivery was made by a guy on a motorcycle (with accompanying female). I have zero problem with that -- maybe a part-time guy picking up a few extra baht (good for him!) Still, I'm not sure all these Smartphones are being used to their full commercial potential. Except maybe by game developers.

On Thursday, September 07, 2017 at 0:56 PM, Thaidream said:

Yes- it is my opinion - but I have no quarrel with anyone who wants to become addicted to their phone.  It is a free World and people can choose to live how they desire.  If you want to look at your phone like a robot and bump into me- go ahead- I have many more important things in my life to be interested in.  When I go to a  pub- I ask for a beer and I could care less if they have WiFi.

Here I am on post 45 and will go through them all . So Mr/Miss/ Mrs/ ....Thaidream , a mate came back from the UK last week and said there is an App. in Whe/ Weatherspoons , so now you can go in , up your App. and order you drink without speaking to anybody , how sad things have become . I suppose you could say Thanx after you process your order.

On Thursday, September 07, 2017 at 1:11 PM, Phuket Man said:

What is worse is when you go to a restaurant and half the customers are staring at their phones or even playing game with the volume turned up.

This is mostly Thais.

Even worse than that is when they come round your house for dinner or a party or something and do the same.

Rude and ignorant.

Ah , nearly got to post 50.  I am spot on there with you P Man. Myself and 'er indoors were not indoors 2 days ago but out with a mate and his wife and in the conversation we said over the past hundreds of years where there is a dwelling , families have sat down and spoken to each other over the dinner table.  Before say WW 2 folk didn't sit round reading books at the table , TV went off , dads newspaper was put aside it was dinner/lunch time. Even my son in law in England said  when a party of them go out to eat all phones are put in the centre of the table , if a phone rings and gets picked up by the owner that person gets the checkbin. Thoughts from a 70 year old fart.

42 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Yes , my old man worked for Shell in the City ( London ) all his life , furled brolly , bowler hat , briefcase and a copy of The Daily Telegraph to read on the 8.15 to London Bridge .  But all those walking over London Bridge on their way to the office looked where they were going they didn't collide with each other because they were reading books !

Ahhh London... 

46 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Even my son in law in England said  when a party of them go out to eat all phones are put in the centre of the table , if a phone rings and gets picked up by the owner that person gets the checkbin.

Yes its a new game nothing to do with not using phones. Its about hoping to eat on the free. Most text all there friends and tell them not to call.(its a call only game according to daughter). So in a way its still all about smart phones.

1 hour ago, toofarnorth said:

Here I am on post 45 and will go through them all . So Mr/Miss/ Mrs/ ....Thaidream , a mate came back from the UK last week and said there is an App. in Whe/ Weatherspoons , so now you can go in , up your App. and order you drink without speaking to anybody , how sad things have become . I suppose you could say Thanx after you process your order.

I think the app is a great idea as it saves queueing up in the melee at the bar. Standing four people deep at the bar with people trying to wriggle in and passing drinks back isn't my idea of fun. Ordering on my phone and staying sat at the table with my friends is. If it's quiet though, I don't mind going to the bar.

On Friday, September 08, 2017 at 6:15 AM, mpyre said:

It will be a chip in your brain, and it is right around the corner.

A lot on here today have a chip on there shoulders , me included and I still have 2 pages to do .............then I will go and mow the lawn all the while facebooking 200 friends I have never met.   Sorry a rant ..........I don't do Twitface . I just love Twitface , must use it more often.

3 hours ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

In essence, they’re helpless without it. But they will advise others to quit being old farts and join the age of technology.

The west will never win another world war, because the sheeple conscripts will be helpless without their stupidphones. Neither will they survive a major catastrophe if the internet goes down, because they can do magic on a computer, but are incapable of doing real stuff.

They want everyone to join them because they really are sheeple, and only function in flocks.

You overlook the addiction factor of the computer. It used to be tv, but that has been superseded by a screen that can be carried around with them. Once the tech monsters have developed the glasses screen, expect everyone to be walking around with them on talking to their imaginary friends all the time, because "it's so coooool".

I admit it- I was addicted to computer games way back in the 90s. Had the stupid phone existed then I'd have been one of the sheeple. I guess I just grew out of it. Plus, I was lucky to have a childhood without tv when I grew up. Never mind computers etc.

Let's face it, blabbering on on TVF is just a way to pass the time. For me it's a choice between going to the movies, watching something on tv, reading or wobbling on about stuff that will be forgotten by tomorrow.

At least when I was a boy and hobbies were the in time waster, we had something tangible, like stamp album etc. Oh well.

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 11:31 AM, reenatinnakor said:

You really do have too much time on your hands grumpy old man! We are living in a technological age now, you either get with the program or get left behind. Just because you're old and prefer the good old days, they aren't coming back.

You probably piss off more young people than they piss you off, for not adopting technology. Maybe you don't know how to check in online and choose your seats and then find you are in the middle seat sat away from your wife and you try to get a young person, who did know how to choose his seat, to change seats with you! This happened to me the other day... Off course I said get lost to the old person.

If I PO some arrogant little <deleted> young tosser that is too stupid to realise that s/he will be old one day, all good.

I'm happy to get left behind. At least I can do real stuff, unlike the young person that can't go a day travelling without calling mummy to tell them that they are safe.

BTW, I have no problem with going early to the airport and checking in before the crowd arrives, and I reserved my seat when I paid for my ticket with real money to real people.

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 1:11 PM, Phuket Man said:

What is worse is when you go to a restaurant and half the customers are staring at their phones or even playing game with the volume turned up.

This is mostly Thais.

Even worse than that is when they come round your house for dinner or a party or something and do the same.

Rude and ignorant.

Of course you could politely tell them that you have a rule of no phones at the table. If they refuse never invite them again- they were not friends anyway.

58 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You overlook the addiction factor of the computer. It used to be tv, but that has been superseded by a screen that can be carried around with them.

Yep agreed addiction indeed last 4 post have all been yours addicted are we :cheesy:

I walked through two different groups of Thai people today glued to their phones walking down the side walk.  I enjoyed walking in and out between them without touching them.  I smiled and thought of this thread.

One of the last girls of a group of about 8 looked up and saw me smiling.  She looked confused/ embarrassed for a moment. Then she flashed a beautiful smile...

I walked through two different groups of Thai people today glued to their phones walking down the side walk.  I enjoyed walking in and out between them without touching them.  I smiled and thought of this thread.

One of the last girls of a group of about 8 looked up and saw me smiling.  She looked confused/ embarrassed for a moment. Then she flashed a beautiful smile...

Steady on Tiger !
That beautiful smile could have been just another selfie !! [emoji51]