Citizens urged to cherish national flag ahead of Thai National Flag Day

webfact

Citizens urged to cherish national flag ahead of Thai National Flag Day

BANGKOK, 7 September 2017 (NNT) – A deputy prime minister has called on all Thais to observe Thai National Flag Day by learning about the significance of the national flag. 

On the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the Thai national flag, Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam pointed out that the flag is meant to be used for three purposes: decorating premises, accompanying honorary ceremonies and preceding public announcements.

As the flag represents the national identity, he highlighted the necessity for all citizens to possess knowledge about the flag and how to properly handle it in various scenarios. 

Previously, the Cabinet designated September 28 of every year as Thai National Flag Day although it was not declared a public holiday.

Being celebrated for the first time this year, the day will see the entire country adorned with the national flag in honor of King Vajiravudh or King Rama VI, who bestowed the flag on the Thai people a hundred years ago.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-09-07

2 hours ago, webfact said:

by learning about the significance of the national flag. 

Most Thais don't even understand traffic indicators in their cars, though they are big on patriotism as can be seen by the numbers joining a gang kicking a farang invader.

22 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Wohoo!... yet ANOTHER revenue-squandering, income-eating, national public holiday brought to you by the people that can't buy friends.

23 hours ago, webfact said:

Previously, the Cabinet designated September 28 of every year as Thai National Flag Day although it was not declared a public holiday.

:coffee1:

Better known as Thai Military Junta National Propaganda Day. I'm looking forward to it, does anybody know where I can buy a pair of Thai flag shorts. The markets always have USA and British flag shorts for sale but when I inquire about Thai flag shorts, the shop employees always look at me like I have two heads.

18 minutes ago, choff56 said:

Better known as Thai Military Junta National Propaganda Day. I'm looking forward to it, does anybody know where I can buy a pair of Thai flag shorts. The markets always have USA and British flag shorts for sale but when I inquire about Thai flag shorts, the shop employees always look at me like I have two heads.

Don't they ever wonder why the Brits and Americans don't wear shorts decorated in their national flags?

23 hours ago, webfact said:

As the flag represents the national identity, he highlighted the necessity for all citizens to possess knowledge about the flag and how to properly handle it in various scenarios. 

There's no necessity to learn about the knowledge of a flag. You can encourage if you so wish, but ultimately it's up to the individual what they feel is a necessity to learn. Empathy is a necessity. 

Human beings (regardless of race, religion or creed) should always have the basic and fundamental right to follow their own path. And if that path is, "Yea, I don't want anything to do with this" then so be it. They should never be made to feel bad or wrong.

4 hours ago, choff56 said:

My neighbor has the US stars and stripes on his boxers. I was was going to ask him if the Thai flag boxers are available also. Think I will to see what reaction I get.?

4 hours ago, habanero said:

Don't they ever wonder why the Brits and Americans don't wear shorts decorated in their national flags?

But Brits and Americans do wear them - plenty of sources on amazon, ebay, etc. ... and Thai shorts, but only in muay thai style (Thai boxing).

5 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

that would be England

I've seen plenty of English and British flags being flown there. 

And not just during sporting events. 

Though to be fair, there are a lot more of them on such occasions. 

Edited by Bluespunk

Just now, Bluespunk said:

I've seen plenty of English and British flags being flown there. 

And not just during sporting events. 

people will fly them. and so they should. but believe me many councils insist on flags on houses be taken down or threaten people with fines. recently a labour councillor posted a picture of a house with a st georges cross and a white van outside with the message "ghastly people"

2 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

people will fly them. and so they should. but believe me many councils insist on flags on houses be taken down or threaten people with fines. recently a labour councillor posted a picture of a house with a st georges cross and a white van outside with the message "ghastly people"

And was rightly condemned for doing so. 

Why do councils threaten fines/have flags taken down?

I doubt it's because they view them as racist. 

5 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Previously, the Cabinet designated September 28 of every year as Thai National Flag Day although it was not declared a public holiday.

:coffee1:

Yes darling... but "Previously, the Cabinet designated September 28 of every year" didn't convey the same to me as "September 28, 2560, this year" hence my pre-caffeine fueled premature ejaculation on which I subsequently pulled my head-in.... a whole day before your own 'not reading all subsequent posts in a thread' premie.

Edited by NanLaew

9 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

And was rightly condemned for doing so. 

Why do councils threaten fines/have flags taken down?

I doubt it's because they view them as racist. 

Flags schmags. The homeowners associations in the US kick the puny UK town councils <deleted> when it comes to punishment. There they can kick you out of your bought and paid for home if you don't mow the lawn or hide your wheelie bin.

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

Flags schmags. The homeowners associations in the US kick the puny UK town councils <deleted> when it comes to punishment. There they can kick you out of your bought and paid for home if you don't mow the lawn or hide your wheelie bin.

Don't the associations have a set of rules you agree to, when you choose to join them?

5 hours ago, choff56 said:

I bought some Thai flag boxers. But I got skid marks all over them. Had to throw them away.

10 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Thing is, I still see them when I'm in the uk. 

Well, there would probably be a lot more if the councils didn't play their PC hand so earnestly.

I think there's an issue with the George Cross flag rather than the Union Jack flag. The former has all sorts of racist connotations whereas the latter is probably only being nationalistic.

Edited by NanLaew