P and S Market in Rawai is Closing.

Jimi007

29 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

An increasing number of Asian tourists - agree.  An increasing number of Western tourists?

Over the past 5 years or so? Tremendously. In the past hardly any tourist came to Rawai, and that has changed.

12 hours ago, stevenl said:

No, a sign of increasing competition. In this specific area tourism has (unfortunately I think) only increased, with also western tourists.

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

Over the past 5 years or so? Tremendously. In the past hardly any tourist came to Rawai, and that has changed.

Yes, but from what I've seen the vast majority are Asian - and obviously that doesn't include the groups spending their holiday visiting the 'sites' in coaches.

Presumably there are one hell of a lot of these- as there are one hell of a lot of coaches!  And I don't believe for one minute they're full of Western tourists!

7 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Yes, but from what I've seen the vast majority are Asian - and obviously that doesn't include the groups spending their holiday visiting the 'sites' in coaches.

Presumably there are one hell of a lot of these- as there are one hell of a lot of coaches!  And I don't believe for one minute they're full of Western tourists!

That's these last few years.  Look at how busy nai harm is these days, mostly with westerners. Look at sai yuan development, etc.

5 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

So true! The number and the quality of western tourists has been declining for years and they have been replaced by Asian tour groups. And based on the new businesses popping up this trend will continue. There is clearly less western tourists every year, hence why stores like P & S are closing. 

7 hours ago, inThailand said:

So true! The number and the quality of western tourists has been declining for years and they have been replaced by Asian tour groups. And based on the new businesses popping up this trend will continue. There is clearly less western tourists every year, hence why stores like P & S are closing. 

No. Again, the number of western tourists in Rawai had only increased.

Edited by stevenl

30 minutes ago, stevenl said:

You must have a business in Rawai for sale? So the need to put a positive spin on the spiraling downwards business environment?

Edited by inThailand
fat fingers

27 minutes ago, stevenl said:

So, where are these Western tourists? Sitting in their hotels?

Bars, restaurants, massage places are all complaining about the lack of customers this year.

The Chalong pier road always ticked over nicely at night during the rainy season, yet, this year, it is a virtual ghost town.

Sorry Stevenl, my eyes don't agree with you.

24 minutes ago, inThailand said:

You must have a business in Rawai for sale? So the need to put a positive spin on the spiraling downwards business environment?

No I don't, no business in Rawai and not for sale, just looking around me.

See what happened to Nai Harn Beach these last years, the number of people more than doubled. See what happened to Sai Yuan, where the number of businesses has grown like crazy and the number of people hanging around as well. Maybe not enough to fill all businesses, but that is because the number of businesses has grown. Look at the longtail rentals, busy and that is western tourists, not Chinese tour packages. Rawai is one of the places on Phuket where western tourism has grown these last 5 years or so.

Edited by stevenl

14 minutes ago, stevenl said:

No I don't, no business in Rawai and not for sale, just looking around me.

See what happened to Nai Harn Beach these last years, the number of people more than doubled. See what happened to Sai Yuan, where the number of businesses has grown like crazy and the number of people hanging around as well. Maybe not enough to fill all businesses, but that is because the number of businesses has grown. Look at the longtail rentals, busy and that is western tourists, not Chinese tour packages. Rawai is one of the places on Phuket where western tourism has grown these last 5 years or so.

Do you have sight problems? Not get out much? I guess your predicting a record high season as well?

Just today, another business casualty.  The Starbucks like coffee shop on the way to Nai Harn beach is for rent, ie will be closing. This is an established business for years and always had some customers, but obviously not enough.

54 minutes ago, inThailand said:

Do you have sight problems? Not get out much? I guess your predicting a record high season as well?

Just today, another business casualty.  The Starbucks like coffee shop on the way to Nai Harn beach is for rent, ie will be closing. This is an established business for years and always had some customers, but obviously not enough.

You obviously don't agree with me, no reason to start flaming.

From what I see for the area, the number of new businesses opening up in the area has mushroomed, while the number of tourists has grown, but not to the extent of new businesses being opened, so less punters per business, but more punters.  

I also see a lot more western people at Nai Harn than in years past.  

On 09/09/2017 at 7:56 AM, Jimi007 said:

Yes, dark Beer Lao was one of the first things I though of when I heard. I'm not sure if they own the land, I never asked, but I do remember when they rebuilt the place and added hotel rooms upstairs and the shop next door. I saw the plans being drawn up by the owner of P&S. 

I buy my Lao Dark at Promphan store, up Chao Fah West just before Central on the left. Works out at around 50 baht a bottle; also the cheapest place on the island I've found for Song Sam - 262 baht a bottle. A bit of a schlep, but worth it as their grocery store has some hidden gems, like Shreddies...

15 hours ago, Bogbrush said:

I buy my Lao Dark at Promphan store, up Chao Fah West just before Central on the left. Works out at around 50 baht a bottle; also the cheapest place on the island I've found for Song Sam - 262 baht a bottle. A bit of a schlep, but worth it as their grocery store has some hidden gems, like Shreddies...

Yes, I've been going there for many years. They know me and my wife and start to get our usual order together when we walk in.