Paying electric bill online?

Inquisitorial

58 minutes ago, johng said:

You can also use "True money app" on your phone.

PEA have an app to check your bill but barcode scan and payment "coming soon"

Or pay at 7/11, Family Mart ,Tesco,Big C where you can be 3 days over the due date on the bill.

That part must be new. My local 7/11 would not accept after the due date.

Sorry should have added
according to my wife they will except upto 3 days overdue...I always pay well before the due date.

Quite a few times the convenience stores have trouble scanning the barcode or getting the system to except the codes even when they manually type in the long barcode number but it usually works at a different shop..so something screwy with that particular shops system at the time.
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, murraynz said:

i have just signed up to their a/p direct payment system--see how that works...

i didnt want to have my power cut off, paying re-connection fee..if i happened to be overses when the bill came in...

Ive been paying my electric, water & internet by D/Debit from kasikorn for 4yrs never had an issue.

2 hours ago, johng said:

Sorry should have added
according to my wife they will except upto 3 days overdue...I always pay well before the due date.

Quite a few times the convenience stores have trouble scanning the barcode or getting the system to except the codes even when they manually type in the long barcode number but it usually works at a different shop..so something screwy with that particular shops system at the time.

No problem paying past the date

5 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

This is only for Bangkok?

I looked for this here in Phuket sometime but it appears you can only pay at a brick&mortar location (7-11, etc).

One difference is that the Bangkok Metropolitan Areas is served by the Metropolitan Electricity Authority (MEA) rather than the Provincial Electricity Authority (PEA) which serves the rest of Thailand, including Phuket.  The MEA allows more payment options than PEA.  One of those allowed by MEA but not  PEA is online payment.

However, PEA does allow direct debit payment of the monthly bill and I have set that up for myself in Phuket using my Bangkok Bank savings account.  I get a PEA bill from my condo management towards the end of the month and about two weeks later the bill is paid by direct debit from my Bangkok Bank savings account automatically.  I set this up by going to my Bangkok Bank branch and filling out a two-part application.  Bangkok Bank approves and retains one-half and the other half is returned to you to deliver to your local PEA office.  After about a month the direct debit payments will begin.  I imagine other banks have a similar process.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, StevieAus said:

There is the option for it to be automatically deducted from your bank account you still get the bill with usage details we have used this facility for a few years with no problems

I have avoided this option as many years ago I was told it was very difficult to cancel the direct debit with the bank, and you had to seek the Utilities permission. Anybody know if this is still the case?

MEA (Bangkok) and PEA (everywhere else) are not the same. MEA can be paid online while PEA cannot that I can find. In Pattaya, Big C extra on central road has a PEA office for bill payment. No fees. There maybe still a PEA office in Royal Garden mall but I've not been there for months.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I have avoided this option as many years ago I was told it was very difficult to cancel the direct debit with the bank, and you had to seek the Utilities permission. Anybody know if this is still the case?

I would just guess it is a hassle.  It seems to work for some but I would never do any type of debit or auto payment here.

Too many horror stories about people getting extremely high incorrect billing.  Good luck trying to back track it and straighten things out.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I would just guess it is a hassle.  It seems to work for some but I would never do any type of debit or auto payment here.

Too many horror stories about people getting extremely high incorrect billing.  Good luck trying to back track it and straighten things out.

Shhh....that too!

18 hours ago, StevieAus said:

There is the option for it to be automatically deducted from your bank account you still get the bill with usage details we have used this facility for a few years with no problems

Best way, been paying mine for over 7 years by DD, hassle free.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Best way, been paying mine for over 7 years by DD, hassle free.

We do the same, bills/ amount taken out of bank always the same, never any problems.

No need to worry about being late with the payment, running to a shop to pay, easy so very easy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I doubt if it has ever been the case. I cancelled a DD with TOT a few years back and no problem at all, they refunded part of the last payment back into the account.

I suspect some may have had difficulty if they had run into a problem with the utility.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, colinneil said:

We do the same, bills/ amount taken out of bank always the same, never any problems.

No need to worry about being late with the payment, running to a shop to pay, easy so very easy.

And when your out of town when the bill comes, nothing to worry about. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, YT3k72Em said:

You can also setup direct debit to a Thai credit card. You can do that over the phone with your credit card company.  No forms necessary.  And MEA doesn't have access to your bank account.

I mostly pay the MEA by mobile banking (just scan the paper), but there are several ways. You can register MEA with your Citi cc (if you have), to pay it online with your cc (or in the Citi app), even before you get they actual bill. Once it's in the MEA system the amount will show up.

Btw, if overdue you can pay without any problem at any counterservice point and 7-11 etc. as long as they have an online system. 

On 9/12/2017 at 2:07 PM, newatthis said:

No, it is not new, I have been able to do it for at least the past 3 years.  Had trouble at first, the young lass told me that it could not be done.  I then politely told her, in Thai, that if she entered the details, manually, then it would be accepted.

She again told me no, but when I insisted, she did what I advised and was amazed when it was accepted. Now when I go, no problems, she must have explained it to the other staff, as they now know how to process it either manually or by scanning the bar code.:wai:

I've been paying my MEA electrice bill via Bangkok Bank ibanking for almost a decade now....the great majority of time I pay before the due date but there have been times I just forgot and I paid well over a week after the due date.

The Bangkok Bank ibanking will always say a bill can't be paid past it due date (displayed in red lettering) but every time I've paid a bill past its due date, be it MEA electric bill, TOT landline bill, mobile phone, cable TV, internet, etc., the payment processes immediately and just as if you paid it before the due date.

Now if you go to a 7-11 to pay a bill after its due date the 7-11 may not do it.  Only one bill I can not pay via ibanking and that is my Bangkok Metropolitan Water Authority (BWA) water bill....I pay that at 7-11.  And a few  times over the years I've been tardy in getting to the 7-11 before the water bill due date and 7-11 would not process the payment....I had to go to a BWA office to make the payment.   Don't know why the BWA don't allow payment via ibanking.

• 9 months later...
On 9/12/2017 at 4:21 PM, Dan5 said:

I''ve been paying my electric bill online for over 7 years now. I just pay the bill through my K bank account the same way I do for True, etc. I'm in Bangkok. 

I have tried everything with the Kbank online app. Tried scanning. PEA is not listed as a utility. How do you do it?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I have tried everything with the Kbank online app. Tried scanning. PEA is not listed as a utility. How do you do it?

If he's in Bangkok, likely he's paying Metropolitan Electricity Authority (MEA) rather than Provincial Electricity Authority (PEA).  They're different.  Possibly one allows online payments and the other does not.

• Thanks 1