Avg Anti-spyware/antivirus Didn't Find Keylogger

PMK

Hi All,

I just changed from AVG Anti-spyware to Spybot Search and Destroy. AVG Antivirus is still running. S&D found this - Neither AVG program did. This is not a false alarm - the file did in fact contain a lot of passwords.

Smitfraud-C.Keylogger: Text file (File, fixed)

C:\WINDOWS\offlog.txt

Peter

Spybot is freeware as well.

About 3:00 AM I woke up wondering why it found the text file with the passwords, but no engine - the program that wrote that file. I think AVG Antispyware might have found that a few weeks ago, but not the text file itself or just did not bother with it. Hard to say for sure now but multiple antimalware programs have not found anything, so it is a likely explanation. I will try and recreate the whole event on a virtual machine - I think I know where the keylogger came from and post the results if worthwhile.

You get what you pay for.

If it's free...........go figure. :o

I too was using the free AVG and something got past it. I have since purchased Bitdefender. I also bought Spy Sweeper. Spy Sweeper became such a pain that I went back to Zone Alarm Pro. I had also bought that program. It was a pain too because it tries to be all things to all people. I started using the free Zone Alarm rather than the Pro version. I have since removed the free Zone Alarm, re-installed the Pro version along with Bitdefender. Things are running very smoothly now. Zone Alarm scans every day for spyware and everyday finds a few. Bitdefender up dates every hour. I'm feeling pretty secure at this point with just those two programs running. I have become a believer that you do indeed get what you pay for.

Hi All,

I just changed from AVG Anti-spyware to Spybot Search and Destroy. AVG Antivirus is still running. S&D found this - Neither AVG program did. This is not a false alarm - the file did in fact contain a lot of passwords.

Smitfraud-C.Keylogger: Text file (File, fixed)

C:\WINDOWS\offlog.txt

Peter

Hi,

Try this software (Key Scrambler) at the following site:http://www.qfxsoftware.com/. It scrambles and encrypts your keystrokes and it's FREE.

Greg

Man, there is software for everything - amazing. I'll check it out.

Thanks,

Peter

Hi,

Try this software (Key Scrambler) at the following site:http://www.qfxsoftware.com/. It scrambles and encrypts your keystrokes and it's FREE.

Greg

I'm no expert, but AVG anti-spyware (free), finds for me, on a daily basis, medium-risk tracking cookies, such as Serving-sys, Statcounter, Tacoda, Burstnet, and Adrevolver, which are then deleted.

Spybot gave me a lot of problems, as far as conflicts with other programs. I was forced to remove it.

I'm no expert, but AVG anti-spyware (free), finds for me, on a daily basis, medium-risk tracking cookies, such as Serving-sys, Statcounter, Tacoda, Burstnet, and Adrevolver, which are then deleted.

Spybot gave me a lot of problems, as far as conflicts with other programs. I was forced to remove it.

I use Ad-Aware which also marks all tracking cookies. While advertisers use these to do their business, they are completely harmless on your system.

I want to mainly know about software that messes with my system rather than cookies that I accepted - if I want to control cookies I would set the options in Firefox accordingly, like have to approve each cookie etc..

Case in point: It just found 2 "critical" tracker cookie in my IE cache. Apart from the fact that I hardly ever use IE, any type of cookie does not seem critical to me. A cookie is nothing but an ID that a website can request - big deal! Cookies are a form of ID but not programs, they can't do anything bad to the system. The label "critical" is IMHO just hype put out by the scanner to make itself more important.

The label "critical" is IMHO just hype put out by the scanner to make itself more important.

Exactly. In the same manner alot of the "intrusions" that firewalls say they block are just misdirected packets and internet background noise.