Alcohol sales 26th to the 31st Oct?

Knocker33

I have been trying to find out from local officials ect  if there is going to be a ban on alcohol sales between the 26th and 31st October. So far non of them can give me a straight answer (which is not unusual here because they make it up as they go)

Can anyone give me any idea. Cheers

I haven't seen exact information on that for the whole period.

But one is certain to me:

October 26 is the day of the cremation, an extra public holiday and nationwide mourning like never in decades.

Absolute closure of all entertainment activities everywhere, alcohol sales in shops prohibited too of course.

17 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I haven't seen exact information on that for the whole period.

But one is certain to me:

October 26 is the day of the cremation, an extra public holiday and nationwide mourning like never in decades.

Absolute closure of all entertainment activities everywhere, alcohol sales in shops prohibited too of course.

I agree about the depth of the nationwide mourning but I have seen no official notices of closure of entertainment or alcohol sale restrictions.

This does not mean that individual organisations will be open, many may themselves choose to close out of respect or to attend some event but  have seen a number of notices from TAT and I think the UK travel advice requesting respect and moderation but saying entertainment will remain open.

I have heard many people saying Thailand is shutting down for the week which makes me wonder if that is what is expected because of the power of the hardline prohibitionists but as I say, I for one have yet to see any official restrictions.

My personal choice will be one of respect in memory of His Majesty and for his people amongst whom I live.

Thanks for the replies. I asked the question because I have pre booked guests and guests who are thinking of booking a holiday that are asking what is going on . I think they think I am stupid when I tell I don't know .I have already had cancellations because people have heard Thailand will be closed for a week.

Why can't they just come out and tell people what is going to happen or will they just leave it till the last minute so people do not cancel their trip.

3 hours ago, OJAS said:

More imminently, next Thursday (5th October) will be a dry day on account of Awk Pansa.

Correct.

Even when a Buddhist holiday is not a public holiday there still can be a ban.

Awk Pansa (Ok Phansa) is a very important Buddhist holiday and the ban has been declared mandatory by the current government.

1 hour ago, Knocker33 said:

Thanks for the replies. I asked the question because I have pre booked guests and guests who are thinking of booking a holiday that are asking what is going on . I think they think I am stupid when I tell I don't know .I have already had cancellations because people have heard Thailand will be closed for a week.

Why can't they just come out and tell people what is going to happen or will they just leave it till the last minute so people do not cancel their trip.

You did not detail where your guests are going?

Of course Thailand will not "close down".

Air traffic as usual and borders will be open.

No reason not to come to Thailand!

It will be one of the most spectacular events you have seen (even when on TV or public viewing only). Overwhelming and touching.

It will still be more or less easy to travel/fly from/out of Bangkok.

But really: do not plan any travel into/around Bangkok on October 26.

Grand Palace and Wat Phra Kaeo (Emerald Buddha) will be closed for all of October.

And this time it's not a scam but officially decreed.

Public festivals/open air entertainment etc. is not wanted for all of October. I assume this would include things like fullmoon/beach parties or the like.

TV programs/websites have to tone down color.

From 20 October on TV programs have to "control" their entertainment content.

From 25 to 27 October all Thai TV channels will broadcast content supplied from Bangkok only.

No regular programming on Thai TV channels.

Yes, 5 October is Wan Awk Phansa (end of Buddhist Lent) so alcohol sales banned.

23 October is also a holiday, Rama 5, so can easily see that whole week ending up being declared a quasi-holiday, probably at the last minute.

I haven't seen anything specific to the 26th, but would expect there will be many/full "entertainment" closures.

To add to the possible dry days: October 13, anniversary of the death of King Bhumibol.

This day is now an annual public holiday.

I can't tell whether I have seen an official announcement but I am very certain that this day will be alcohol ban and closures.

11 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

23 October is also a holiday, Rama 5, so can easily see that whole week ending up being declared a quasi-holiday, probably at the last minute.

Although not officially announced it's my thought too.

On ‎28‎-‎9‎-‎2017 at 9:44 AM, Knocker33 said:

I have been trying to find out from local officials ect  if there is going to be a ban on alcohol sales between the 26th and 31st October. So far non of them can give me a straight answer (which is not unusual here because they make it up as they go)

Can anyone give me any idea. Cheers

Thats Amasing that u think about some silly bit of alcohol     on  the most stressfull days in years in Thailand 

the king is being cremated   no a beach Party   

if you are so conserned that you will be dry then stock up 2 weeks before  if you have guests explain then that the king is being cremated 

this man was one of the most respected man in thailand loved by all   i guess y have no respect  just a tipical farang   complains about all here .

2 hours ago, mikecha said:

Thats Amasing that u think about some silly bit of alcohol     on  the most stressfull days in years in Thailand 

if you are so conserned that you will be dry then stock up 2 weeks before  if you have guests explain then that the king is being cremated 

this man was one of the most respected man in thailand loved by all   i guess y have no respect  just a tipical farang   complains about all here .

Nice to be found "amasing" and thanks for not being a "tipical" farang, what with all your "consern"

Just part of Amazing Thailand.

They never make their mind up and it is all done ad hoc day to day. Some districts will make their own rules too.

I remember a quote from the PM when the funeral dates were announced a couple of months ago saying "entertainment will not be affected", yeah and the other leg has bells on.

I remember when the Princess Mother died, just about everything stopped for three days, and this is HUGE compared to that.

Tourists should forget it if they are coming for some fun in October. I already told my mate who was due to visit to leave it until November.

This is the biggest event in Thailand for 60 odd years, and all expats should respect it deeply.

Stock up or take a holiday for a few weeks if you can.

Hopefully the coronation will be a time for celebration next year, but I bet they still shut the bars and stop booze sales.

LoS (Land of Sobriety) :welcomeani:

Personally i wont be going away from the house with the exeption of the 26th burning day when i will be in the temple with the rest of the village paying my respects. As for the booze as i am T total i dont really care. 

I asked my mrs when she would and would not sell beer in shop. 23rd closed 24/25 food sales only. 26 to  28th she will close shop for all sales as will all shops in our and 3 surrounding villages. Even the local street markets are not operating from the 25th to 29th.

Its a few day for Thais to say goodbye to there father. So no beer for a few days is hardly going to hurt anyone now is it. 

Stock up at home or leave the country for a few days easy.

Edited by jeab1980

21 hours ago, mikecha said:

If you had bothered reading my follow up post you would have read that I am trying to run a business and i am being asked by potential customers about the alcohol restrictions.

I have been waiting for this reaction , It took 15 posts, that was more than i thought.

On 29/09/2017 at 12:47 PM, KhunBENQ said:

You did not detail where your guests are going?

Of course Thailand will not "close down".

Air traffic as usual and borders will be open.

No reason not to come to Thailand!

It will be one of the most spectacular events you have seen (even when on TV or public viewing only). Overwhelming and touching.

It will still be more or less easy to travel/fly from/out of Bangkok.

But really: do not plan any travel into/around Bangkok on October 26.

Grand Palace and Wat Phra Kaeo (Emerald Buddha) will be closed for all of October.

And this time it's not a scam but officially decreed.

Public festivals/open air entertainment etc. is not wanted for all of October. I assume this would include things like fullmoon/beach parties or the like.

TV programs/websites have to tone down color.

From 20 October on TV programs have to "control" their entertainment content.

From 25 to 27 October all Thai TV channels will broadcast content supplied from Bangkok only.

No regular programming on Thai TV channels.

It's not the travelling about they are worried about but with all the other bar closing days already planned  for October they don't want to fly half way round the world to be told they can not have a glass of wine with their meal. I just wish they would say in black and white what is going to happen.

On 9/29/2017 at 3:13 PM, mikecha said:

Alcohol and entertainment are multi-multi billion dollar worldwide industries, major employers of labour and major sources of tax/duty/revenue collection for governments.

In no other country are they subject to such arbitrary interference with their operations as they are here.

A bit more than "some silly bit of alcohol" which is a cheap, sanctimonious comment from somebody who presumably does not drink.

I presume you are not a Native English Speaker.