What Thai towns have a long promenade? (for jogging)

simon43

When I return to live in Thailand (maybe next year, after my stint in Myanmar), I have an open-choice where I live.

I enjoy jogging and would like to live in a town where it is safe and feasible to jog along a long promenade.

Now what towns can offer that?

From my own personal knowledge:

- Nong Khai has a nice promenade, (as does Vientiane over in Laos)

- Pattaya has a long promenade from Walking Street up to the Dolphin Roundabout

- Jomtien Beach is not bad (there isn't a promenade to speak of, but the beach footpath is probably ok)

Can anyone suggest other locations?

I have seen some farangs jogging on the footpath along the Sukhumvit road ..

Thanks, but that's not what I mean :)

I have no interest in falling over broken pavements, running in motorcycle taxis and street carts!

The promenade at Nong Khai is wide, long and free from traffic (except walkers, joggers and old ladies doing aerobics).

The Pattaya promenade is relatively clear of obstacles, and there can be 'interesting' sights to see as one jogs along...

This is a good question and a topic I am also interested in. 

Jomtien is pretty good, plus you have the trails at Pratumnak Park.  Sometimes I run the side streets in Pratumnak,  they are pretty quiet and can be a relaxing place to run.  Overall, Pattaya has been much better for running than I expected.  I hear that out in the darkside, by the lake, there are some good routes as well. 

Hat Mae Rumphueng in Rayong has a bike path that looks decent, but sadly, the last time I was down there the stench from garbage covering the entire length of the beach was overpowering.

Bang Saen promenade looks pretty good, but probably not on weekends, due to crowds. 

South of Hua Hin, Pranburi has a great paved running/biking trail along the beach, as does the next beach south from there.  You can check them out on google streetview. 

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

When I return to live in Thailand (maybe next year, after my stint in Myanmar), I have an open-choice where I live.

I enjoy jogging and would like to live in a town where it is safe and feasible to jog along a long promenade.

Now what towns can offer that?

From my own personal knowledge:

- Nong Khai has a nice promenade, (as does Vientiane over in Laos)

- Pattaya has a long promenade from Walking Street up to the Dolphin Roundabout

- Jomtien Beach is not bad (there isn't a promenade to speak of, but the beach footpath is probably ok)

Can anyone suggest other locations?

Sri Chiang Mai, near Tha Bo, Nong Khai has a dedicated "blue path' for runners and cyclists. It is over 5k in length, runs along the Mekong , very safe and fairly well lit, for the most part. No attractions as per a Pattaya jog though.

7 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Bangsean (40ks nth of Pattaya) is probably the best beach-side promenade in Thailand, wide and 4-5 ks long, but as others have said possibly a little crowded on the weekends.

Can't imagine living there full-time; great for a midweek break from Pattaya or Bangkok.

Ubon Huai Wangnong reservoir has just built a partial pathway and cycle track for that very purpose. The word is they are going to totally circumvent the whole lake in the future, which will mean 7 km of safe exercise..It is lit up at night too..

6 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Well if they built a nice long track around the reservoir, why would people want to circumvent it?

:stoner:.......Thank you, I clicked the wrong spelling, should have been "encircle"....:smile:

Seems you are useful after all....great.gif.9fde43fe5749c422ce8bfd32a964c956.gif

I have stayed at the BB hotel across the lake in the center of Khon Kaen right across from the hotel There is a very nice,  large park with all sort of activities , and what it looked like a very long jogging track on the shore of the lake. .

I did a google search 

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS736US736&biw=1536&bih=734&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=khon+kaen+lake+jogging&oq=khon+kaen+lake+jogging&gs_l=psy-ab.3...86591.95152.0.95883.8.8.0.0.0.0.150.753.6j2.8.0.dummy_maps_web_fallback...0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.1.146...0i8i30k1.0.msm5GvDBWuI#imgrc=ztfJDrOnjIo59M:

I believe this is a picture from there

Image result for khon kaen lake jogging

21 hours ago, YaiJung said:

This is a good question and a topic I am also interested in. 

Jomtien is pretty good, plus you have the trails at Pratumnak Park.  Sometimes I run the side streets in Pratumnak,  they are pretty quiet and can be a relaxing place to run.  Overall, Pattaya has been much better for running than I expected.  I hear that out in the darkside, by the lake, there are some good routes as well. 

Hat Mae Rumphueng in Rayong has a bike path that looks decent, but sadly, the last time I was down there the stench from garbage covering the entire length of the beach was overpowering.

Bang Saen promenade looks pretty good, but probably not on weekends, due to crowds. 

South of Hua Hin, Pranburi has a great paved running/biking trail along the beach, as does the next beach south from there.  You can check them out on google streetview. 

I second Pratumnak/Buddha Hill. It has a number of tracks/paths to run/jog/walk and is well protected by a lovely coverage of nature trees.

If local fauna is an intrest,  myself and my mate that lives in Pratumnak have tagged Buddha Hill ‘pussy hill’, for obvious reasons. 

Early afternoons seem to be the ideal time for checking out the scenery lol

Edited by MadMuhammad

Udon Thani's Lake Prajak is especially designed for walking, jogging and bike riding.  There are often marathons and similar events around the 3.5 k circuit which is properly paved and marked out for such activities.  Look it up on the net.