One killed, five severely injured in Maha Sarakham crash

webfact

One killed, five severely injured in Maha Sarakham crash

By The Nation

14967b7f712722613602dd8250e56df0.jpg

A pickup truck tried to avoid a mudslide on a road in Maha Sarakham’s Kosum Phisai district on Wednesday morning, causing it to block the way of a passenger van and resulting in a fatal crash.

Police said the van driver, Pol Jumna, 46, was killed at the scene after his van crashed into the pickup at full speed near a bridge on a main road in Tambon Kaew Kae in Kosum Phisaiat 7.42am.

Police said the pickup driver, Saneh Kaewsamran, 37, and four van passengers were also injured.

Police said the pickup in the opposite lane swerved to the right to avoid a pile of mud that slid from a mountainside but lost control.

The van was taking passengers from Khon Kaen to Ubon Ratchathani.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30328438

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-10-04

A mountainside in Kosum Phisai district? Jeez, there must have been some serious tectonic uplift going on in Sarakham since I last drove that road! At least we know it was the mudslide to blame for the crash and not the reckless driving or speed of the pickup driver. :whistling: 

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Swerving to avoid something without looking for oncoming traffic generally means you are going to fast, in my book

I agree (as you say, generally) but there's not nearly enough information in this report. It's possible that the mud slide happened without warning and the driver swerved instinctively.

In any case, this is a tragedy for at least one family. The deceased van driver was only 46 years old. Seems there was very little he could have done to save himself. I hope there will at least be some financial support for his family from the insurance companies.

12 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Swerving to avoid something without looking for oncoming traffic generally means you are going to fast, in my book

I avoid these idiots almost on a daily basis.  Only yesterday, a car in front of me swerved into my lane to avoid a puddle, almost side-swiping me.  Five minutes later, I was nearly hit head-on by a car coming the other way overtaking a motorcycle.  Most Thai drivers are oblivious to anything around them, and don't use their mirrors except to do their make-up and pick-out the blackheads.