Merkel settles migrant row with allies to pursue coalition

webfact

Merkel settles migrant row with allies to pursue coalition

By Andreas Rinke and Madeline Chambers

tag-reuters.jpg

German Chancellor Angela Merkel addresses a meeting of her conservative CDU's youth organization, the Junge Union (Young Union), in Dresden, Germany, October 7, 2017. REUTERS/Matthias Rietschel

BERLIN (Reuters) - German Chancellor Angela Merkel's Christian Democrats (CDU) reached a deal on migrant policy with her conservative Bavarian allies on Sunday, removing a major obstacle to pursuing talks on a coalition with other parties.

In an apparent concession, Merkel agreed to put a number on how many people Germany would accept per year on humanitarian grounds, namely a net total of around 200,000 individuals.

The CDU and Christian Social Union (CSU) reached the migrant deal after about seven hours of talks and later adjourned their meeting. It was unclear whether they had agreed on other issues, such as Europe and pensions. Further details will be made available at a news conference on Monday.

Merkel won a fourth term as chancellor in a Sept. 24 election but was weakened by heavy losses to the far right.

She wants to build a coalition between her conservative bloc and two other parties, the pro-business Free Democrats (FDP) and the Greens, which are far apart on issues from tax and energy to Europe.

First, however, she must get her own house in order and overcome some major differences between her CDU and the CSU, its sister party in Bavaria, a state that accounts for 15 percent of Germany's population.

The two parties have formed a parliamentary bloc together for decades, but have diverged over migrant policy since Merkel left the border open to a huge wave of migrants in 2015, most of whom entered the country through Bavaria.

The CSU has demanded a cap on refugees, but Merkel has resisted that, arguing it would breach Germany's constitution, which guarantees the right of asylum to anyone facing political persecution.

Under the face-saving compromise brokered on Sunday, Germany would accept a net of about 200,000 people a year on humanitarian grounds, including families of refugees already in Germany. Authorities will not turn people away at the border, however, and the parties avoided using the term "upper limit" that Merkel has consistently rejected.

"We want to achieve a total number of people taken in for humanitarian reasons (refugees and asylum seekers, those entitled to subsidiary protection, family members, relocation and resettlement minus deportations and voluntary departures of future refugees) that does not exceed 200,000 people a year," states the agreement.

CLIMBDOWN

The leaders also agreed they wanted to set up centres where asylum seekers would stay until decisions on their applications were made. Rejected asylum seekers would be returned to their home countries.

They also agreed to declare Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia as countries of safe origin, meaning Germany can return rejected asylum seekers there more easily.

"It is a good day for the conservatives and a good day for Germany," CSU General Secretary Andreas Scheuer said after the talks.

Setting a number is a climbdown for Merkel and may not be acceptable to the Greens.

"This is an agreement between the CDU and CSU and far from the result of exploratory talks for a coalition with the FDP and Greens," said Greens co-leader Simone Peter.

The target looks achievable, however, given that the number of people arriving in Germany fell to about 280,000 last year from 890,000 in 2015. A further drop is expected this year.

In addition, the two parties agreed to push for an immigration law that would give priority to migrants with skills to plug gaps in the labour market. There is broad support for that from the FDP and Greens.

Fearing heavy losses to the far-right Alternative for Germany (AfD) in a state election next year, the CSU has dug in its heels on the issue of a cap to the number of migrants.

The stakes are high for the CSU's combative leader, Horst Seehofer, who is fighting for his political survival after a poor election performance. The CSU slumped to 6.2 percent, measured nationally, from 7.4 percent in 2013.

Once the CDU and CSU have agreed on all their policies, they can start exploratory talks with the FDP and Greens.

It could still take months to get a full coalition deal and investors are concerned about the prospect of a policy standstill in Europe's biggest economy. If no deal is reached, the prospect looms of either a minority government or new elections.

(Additional reporting by Hans-Edzard Busemann; Editing by Peter Graff and Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-10-09

Wasn't it Frau Merkel who endlessly pilloried candidate Trump for his proposals to limit refugees to America and his now presidential actions putting these proposals into effect? Wasn't it she who was endlessly virtue-signalling to the world her boundless compassion for the world's poor and destitute and receiving the praise of the cosmopolitan elite as the savior and new leader of the western world? 

Am I to understand that she is now a supporter of Trump's refugee policy and that his policy was right all along? Oh the irony.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

2 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Wasn't it Frau Merkel who endlessly pilloried candidate Trump for his proposals to limit refugees to America and his now presidential actions putting these proposals into effect? Wasn't it she who was endlessly virtue-signalling to the world her boundless compassion for the world's poor and destitute and receiving the praise of the cosmopolitan elite as the savior and new leader of the western world? 

Am I to understand that she is now a supporter of Trump's refugee policy and that his policy was right all along? Oh the irony.

Like Stephen Miller, another fan of the word "cosmopolitan". Which is a particularly significant in this case given its history in Germany:

https://www.pri.org/stories/2017-08-03/cosmopolitan-dog-whistle-word-once-used-nazi-germany-and-communist-russia

1 hour ago, ilostmypassword said:

Like Stephen Miller, another fan of the word "cosmopolitan". Which is a particularly significant in this case given its history in Germany:

https://www.pri.org/stories/2017-08-03/cosmopolitan-dog-whistle-word-once-used-nazi-germany-and-communist-russia

Care to answer the question...so Merkel now has the same refugee policy as Donald Trump, i.e., REDUCE THEM?

41 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Care to answer the question...so Merkel now has the same refugee policy as Donald Trump, i.e., REDUCE THEM?

Sure, I'll answer the question. Trump wants to reduce US refugee intake to 45,000. Merkel wants to reduce Germany's to 200,000. Germany has about 1 quarter the population of the USA. So proportionately, this is like the USA accepting 800,000 immigrants.  Now, do you think 800,000 is the same as 45,000? 

Maybe in your mind, math is a subject best left to "cosmopolitans"?

I look forward to your reply.

15 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

Sure, I'll answer the question. Trump wants to reduce US refugee intake to 45,000. Merkel wants to reduce Germany's to 200,000. Germany has about 1 quarter the population of the USA. So proportionately, this is like the USA accepting 800,000 immigrants.  Now, do you think 800,000 is the same as 45,000? 

Maybe in your mind, math is a subject best left to "cosmopolitans"?

I look forward to your reply.

So Merkel's original policy was support for unlimited refugees...come one come all...Germany is a "Welcomen" society.  This "humanitarian" hero and new "leader" of the West has now slashed the numbers she's willing to accept to 200,000...so she's basically gone from infinity to 200k...which is an infinite reduction in refugee numbers. For the sake of argument, lets just say she has reduced the number of refugees she's willing for Germany to accept by 99%.

President Trump, on the other hand, has reduced the number of refugees the U.S. will accept annually from about 80,000 to 45,000...about a 50% reduction. So who is the REAL humanitarian? 

The more salient point, however, is that Chancelor Merkel has seen the wisdom in President Trump's position- that refugee flows from poor Third World countries to the West must be substantially reduced - and that Trump was right all along.

33 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

<snip>

The more salient point, however, is that Chancelor Merkel has seen the wisdom in President Trump's position- that refugee flows from poor Third World countries to the West must be substantially reduced - and that Trump was right all along.

Merkel had decided to limit the number of genuine refugees being hosted in Germany in 12/2015, way before Trump came to power. Nor did Merkel ever have an open door policy for economic refugees. Kindly cease posting misinformation, it's equivalent to trolling.

Edited by simple1

30 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

So Merkel's original policy was support for unlimited refugees...come one come all...Germany is a "Welcomen" society.  This "humanitarian" hero and new "leader" of the West has now slashed the numbers she's willing to accept to 200,000...so she's basically gone from infinity to 200k...which is an infinite reduction in refugee numbers. For the sake of argument, lets just say she has reduced the number of refugees she's willing for Germany to accept by 99%.

President Trump, on the other hand, has reduced the number of refugees the U.S. will accept annually from about 80,000 to 45,000...about a 50% reduction. So who is the REAL humanitarian? 

First off, look up "innumeracy" as defined by John Paulos.

Now let the carving up begin of your nonsensical statement about "who is the real humanitarian?"

So lets say we have 2 very wealthy people. Let's call them respectively Mr. USA and Ms. Germany. Mr. USA is 4 times as wealthy as Ms. Germany.  Previously MS Germany was giving proportionately 40 times as much to charity as Mr. USA.  Now times have changed. Ms. Germany will only be proportionately giving 16 times as much to charity as Mr. USA. Therefore, according to your logic  Mr. USA is now more  of a humanitarian than Ms. Germany. Do I really have to explain why that is nonsense?

As for Merkel promising to let in an infinite number of refugees. I didn't know that there was an infinite number of refugees or that she had made that promise. Do you understand what infinity means? I'll give you a clue: it doesn't mean a really big number. Merkel did have an open door policy during the height of the crisis but that has been done with for a while now. Did she ever say that it would be forever until the universe dies its heat death?

And once again, let me quote your original statement:

"Care to answer the question...so Merkel now has the same refugee policy as Donald Trump, i.e., REDUCE THEM?"

1 hour ago, ilostmypassword said:

First off, look up "innumeracy" as defined by John Paulos.

Now let the carving up begin of your nonsensical statement about "who is the real humanitarian?"

So lets say we have 2 very wealthy people. Let's call them respectively Mr. USA and Ms. Germany. Mr. USA is 4 times as wealthy as Ms. Germany.  Previously MS Germany was giving proportionately 40 times as much to charity as Mr. USA.  Now times have changed. Ms. Germany will only be proportionately giving 16 times as much to charity as Mr. USA. Therefore, according to your logic  Mr. USA is now more  of a humanitarian than Ms. Germany. Do I really have to explain why that is nonsense?

As for Merkel promising to let in an infinite number of refugees. I didn't know that there was an infinite number of refugees or that she had made that promise. Do you understand what infinity means? I'll give you a clue: it doesn't mean a really big number. Merkel did have an open door policy during the height of the crisis but that has been done with for a while now. Did she ever say that it would be forever until the universe dies its heat death?

And once again, let me quote your original statement:

"Care to answer the question...so Merkel now has the same refugee policy as Donald Trump, i.e., REDUCE THEM?"

Again, you too can't admit Merkel now supports Trump's refugee policy...I know it must be tough for you. Merkel had not limit on the number of refugees she was willing to accept (or an infinite number if there were an infinate number of them). She reduced it to 200k from unlimited (maybe that terminology is easier for you to understand) so a much mush larger drop in numbers than anything Trump has done. All your other statistics are irrelevant. 

5 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Again, you too can't admit Merkel now supports Trump's refugee policy...I know it must be tough for you. Merkel had not limit on the number of refugees she was willing to accept (or an infinite number if there were an infinate number of them). She reduced it to 200k from unlimited (maybe that terminology is easier for you to understand) so a much mush larger drop in numbers than anything Trump has done. All your other statistics are irrelevant. 

"All your other statistics are irrelevant". I guess that's because you say so since you have provided no reasoning to back it up. Once again, nowhere did Merkel say her open door policy was going to be permanent.  So what you're contending is a falsehood. And once again you must be doing your mindreading act since you posit that Merkel would be willing to accept an infinite number of refugees if there were an infinite number. In one respect you have given me my comeuppance:  I keep thinking you can't dig the hole you're in any deeper but you keep on proving me wrong.

Edited by ilostmypassword

8 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

"All your other statistics are irrelevant". I guess that's because you say so since you have provided no reasoning to back it up. Once again, nowhere did Merkel say her open door policy was going to be permanent.  So what you're contending is a falsehood. And once again you must be doing your mindreading act since you posit that Merkel would be willing to accept an infinite number of refugees if there were an infinite number. In one respect you have given me my comeuppance:  I keep thinking you can't dig the hole you're in any deeper but you keep on proving me wrong.

So what's the morality in accepting 1M refugees one year and 200k the next...aren't the 800k left out just as worthy as the prior 800k? Or maybe your new humanitarian hero, Merkel, is just a cynical politician after all. Another of your SJW bubbles just popped!

Trump has nothing to do with this topic.

As far as I can make out, Merkel has backed down from her 'open doors for refugees' policy to garner support to form a coalition govt.

Nearly everyone is v aware that the vast majority of 'refugees' are likely nothing of the sort as (for some reason), they're nearly all young males.

28 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

So what's the morality in accepting 1M refugees one year and 200k the next...aren't the 800k left out just as worthy as the prior 800k? Or maybe your new humanitarian hero, Merkel, is just a cynical politician after all. Another of your SJW bubbles just popped!

I have some unhappy news for you. The political chief of Germany is now called "chancellor" not "fuhrer". Merkel is not the furher of Germany. She is the chancellor. She had to negotiate.

4 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

I have some unhappy news for you. The political chief of Germany is now called "chancellor" not "fuhrer". Merkel is not the furher of Germany. She is the chancellor. She had to negotiate.

Translation...she has no principles or morals. One year all refugees are welcome and deserving of shelter and the next it's "you can drown in the Mediterranean for all I care."

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

35 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Clearly you have no clue how a parliamentary democracy works.

Translation: I'll compromise my morals, which I've spent a year hectering and lecturing Donald Trump about, and do anything to stay in power rather than resign on principle. 

Edited by OMGImInPattaya