PCX alarm - Suitable?

thequietman

Getting my PCX in 2 weeks, so just want to install an alarm thats easy for me to do. Will the following suffice?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Motorbike-Anti-theft-Electronic-Security-Alarm-System-Remote-Control-/292088097313?hash=item4401ceaa21:g:CwAAAOSw53NY9F2P

I know if someone wants the bike they will take it no matter what but I thought its best to put something. This alarm simply attached to the battery terminals. Installed in minutes. Is 120 db loud enough?

Thanks for any input as to other suggestions.

125dB is enough. One of the ways they steal new/nice bikes is to lift and load them into a van, so disc locks or chains are useless, unless they are anchored to something and decent lock and chain is very heavy. This device has a vibration sensor, so lifting it should trigger the alarm.

Can you find one that works through the horn as with a car alarm?

I get my new CRF in a few days wouldn't mind one for that, if you want to get two.

9 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Put a disk lock on the front and a padlock on a rear wheel spoke every time you park.

scaleXena-XZZ6-Motorcycle-Disc-Lock-Alar

Some come with integral alarm. 

Want a wired in alarm get the dealer to do it before you pick up the bike. 

Sorry mate these are completely useless, (gone in 60 seconds) they lift the bike into a truck or van and it is gone. Back at base an angle grinder will have that of in minutes.

I have a lockable tool box on the CRF, so can tuck the alarm inside, no installation required, they make such a racket, the thieves will just run. Through sheer surprise, thinking they are dealing with a steering lock.

The other choice is a 5,000 theft insurance policy....and hope they pay up.

Edited by AllanB

Yes some Insurance companies have an uncanny act in their ability to squirming their way out of paying claims.

Re the disc lock...I had one of those but lost the keys.  Used the old plastic pen trick. Take the guts out of the pen and the shell should fit where the 'round' key hole is.  A good hit with a hammer or rock will unlock the disc lock.

This only works with the hollow round type key system as on some kryptonite bike locks . Not a abus type lock.

I heard from a number of sources (including a couple of border guards) about these gangs with vans/trucks, anything that is not locked down, is gone in seconds. It takes me 30 seconds to get my bike on the back of a pickup up a plank, 3 or 4 strong lads could do it to a bike with both wheels locked. Maybe not an HD!!

Bikes are loaded and unloaded legitimately all the time, so no one is that suspicious, in any case these gangs are part of organised crime syndicates, so no one is going to question them.

If a 120dB alarm goes off, it may be a different story. It would likely attract just too much attention.

Or make sure you you stay close to the bike.....

Edited by AllanB

Actually looking at that video, it looks even easier, a few more seconds and that big bike was gone, with just two guys.

Anyone seen anything like this for sale here, just put it in the toolbox, press a button?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Motorbike-Scooter-Anti-theft-Security-Alarm-BF-/262963587420?epid=1149387534&hash=item3d39d9e95c:g:WpgAAOSwcgNZCJG5

On 10/16/2017 at 6:59 PM, AllanB said:

On 10/16/2017 at 9:40 AM, VocalNeal said:

Put a disk lock on the front and a padlock on a rear wheel spoke every time you park.

scaleXena-XZZ6-Motorcycle-Disc-Lock-Alar

Some come with integral alarm. 

Want a wired in alarm get the dealer to do it before you pick up the bike. 

Sorry mate these are completely useless, (gone in 60 seconds) they lift the bike into a truck or van and it is gone. Back at base an angle grinder will have that of in minutes.

Not completely useless. Agreed nothing is 100% but if the disc lock is screaming loudly they make think twice if the area is not completely vacant.

Two screaming disk locks and....

Plus some alarmed disc locks tick annoyingly when activated which adds to the effect.

For presence of mind one has to do something rather than nothing. 

Edited by VocalNeal

34 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Not completely useless. Agreed nothing is 100% but if the disc lock is screaming loudly they make think twice if the area is not completely vacant.

Two screaming disk locks and....

Plus some alarmed disc locks tick annoyingly when activated which adds to the effect.

For presence of mind one has to do something rather than nothing. 

I agree, if it has a built in alarm, the alarm being the deterrent.

I always put the steering lock on if I park up, seems to me almost as good, since they are going the have to manhandle the bike anyway, easier to use too. I think the separate alarm is better because it is much easier to use, so would be more inclined to use it and if I forget to turn it off, it would soon remind me.

Then thieves hearing it, would know the bike is alarmed and give it a wide berth.

Iit is true that thieves in general will always pick the easier target...if they see a bike that is alarmed next to one that isnt then it makes sense to pick the non-alarmed bike.

The same applied to houses back in NZ, even a sticker near the front and rear doors stating the house has an alarm system helps put off would be burglars.  Probably why insurance premiums are lower if you have an alarm system.

15 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

Iit is true that thieves in general will always pick the easier target...if they see a bike that is alarmed next to one that isnt then it makes sense to pick the non-alarmed bike.

The same applied to houses back in NZ, even a sticker near the front and rear doors stating the house has an alarm system helps put off would be burglars.  Probably why insurance premiums are lower if you have an alarm system.

Works for me too, had stickers on my windows and doors for 10 years, never had a break in, just recently I fitted an alarm system (well I would say that wouldn't I?) The big barky bite your bum dog next door probably helped too!!

Anyway just ordered a couple of those £5 alarms, will keep them in the locked tool box on the bike, the remotes on my key-ring. Get some stickers made up too.

Gonna call them the "Spanish Inquisition" why?  Because "no one expects the Spanish Inquisition" ha haa.