Missing post need advice

juice777

I've had a letter go missing form the uk it was sent on the 17th. The tracking info says on the way to bkk. Last time t it took about 3 days. I am a bit worried because it is 4 Atm cards. For some unknown reason the post office told my sister to put that on the envelope and she did. Dose anyone know how reliable the tracking info is once it gets to Thailand and can I ring the Post Office here or go into a branch and ask.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How was it sent?

International Signed-For works fairly well and can (sometimes) be tracked on the Thailand-post website.

It was an error to mark the package with "please steal me" mind.

Give it another week or so before worrying.

Thailand Post has a Contact Center 1545 (with English speakers) but as the letter's tracking information originated in the UK it's very unlikely that they would be able to help, that would have to be done by the sender.

I get a lot of post from England and it never takes less than 5 days to arrive, tracked or otherwise, you haven't really given it enough time yet.

Thailand Post has a Contact Center 1545 (with English speakers) but as the letter's tracking information originated in the UK it's very unlikely that they would be able to help, that would have to be done by the sender.

I get a lot of post from England and it never takes less than 5 days to arrive, tracked or otherwise, you haven't really given it enough time yet.
The last time she sent me a letter it was well quick. It's been 13 days now so I am a starting to get concerned and today she told me about she put bank cards on it. I was lost for words. When I asked if she had time for a phone call she said not if you are going to moan lol.

11 minutes ago, juice777 said:

It was International track and sign. I will. Have a look at the Thai website now thanks

The website won't help you track it, call the number but I guarantee that you will be told that 13 days is not long enough to start worrying about it.  Surely the UK tracking will be more specific than just "on the way".  Registered (tracked) post from Thailand to UK gives progress reports right up to being delivered there, I can't imagine the Royal Mail's system to not be able to provide the same information.

The website won't help you track it, call the number but I guarantee that you will be told that 13 days is not long enough to start worrying about it.  Surely the UK tracking will be more specific than just "on the way".  Registered (tracked) post from Thailand to UK gives progress reports right up to being delivered there, I can't imagine the Royal Mail's system to not be able to provide the same information.
This is what it says

Tracking no. **********G B

Your item, posted on 17/10/17 with reference **********GB has been passed to the overseas postal service for delivery in THAILAND.

And the last up date is

On its way to Bangkok

How long do you think I should wait until I ring them?

26 minutes ago, juice777 said:

This is what it says

Your item, posted on 17/10/17 with reference **********GB has been passed to the overseas postal service for delivery in THAILAND.

And the last up date is

On its way to Bangkok

Problem is BKK mail center. My son sent me 2 registered letters in mid August, both left Switzerland after 2 days. One letter took 4 weeks to appear in BKK, the other one 6 weeks. 4 days to my home once processed in BKK. Non registered mail is hit and miss, anything from 3 weeks to 2 months or not at all.

No issues TO Switzerland, 5-7 days to arrival

Edited by Swiss1960
Spelling

Problem is BKK mail center. My son sent me 2 registered letters in mid August, both left Switzerland after 2 days. One letter took 4 weeks to appear in BKK, the other one 6 weeks. 4 days to my home once processed in BKK. Non registered mail is hit and miss, anything from 3 weeks to 2 months or not at all.

No issues TO Switzerland, 5-7 days to arrival
Wow thats a long time.

its the cards, they steal them from the mail as they can sell them, never advertise their presence. My bank uses padded envelopes with card board backing after 2 of mine went missing, local post office told me they are aware they are being taken by postal workers but cant do anything about it, hopefully it is just a hold up but I would be telling them to send them in padded envelopes with signature required and no marking next time

Edited by seajae

its the cards, they steal them from the mail as they can sell them, never advertise their presence. My bank uses padded envelopes with card board backing after 2 of mine went missing, local post office told me they are aware they are being taken by postal workers but cant do anything about it, hopefully it is just a hold up but I would be telling them to send them in padded envelopes with signature required and no marking next time

She takes them out of the banks envelopes then wraps them up in paper. I have no idea why she wrote bank cards on the envelope. I can't even have a moan at her because she will stop taking care of my post for me. Which Is fair enough I suppose.

6 hours ago, juice777 said:

This is what it says

And the last up date is

On its way to Bangkok

If you're going to call them, there's no harm in doing it now but tell them you think the letter was sent a bit longer ago, say, 4 weeks ago.  They'll probably tell you the (non-) delivery time is normal and to give it a bit longer, even though it isn't.   But don't be surprised when they tell you the trace has to be made by the sender, not you. 

Good luck.

14 hours ago, Just Weird said:

But don't be surprised when they tell you the trace has to be made by the sender, not you. 

The one (and only) time I had something delayed once it reached Thailand and was in the Thai tracking system I used a messaging link on the tracking website. They did check on it, apologize for the delay and it arrived soon after. Not sure if that link is still there, but I've found things sent to or from Thailand by registered mail or EMS or whatever to be totally reliable. When tracking things to or from the US, the ridiculous delays are almost always between points within the US.

If the letter was labeled as containing bank cards, I'd be surprised if it ever cleared the UK.

As stated the tracking number from any postal service outside Thailand is useless.  The items cannot be tracked in Thailand.  I had a book sent to me in August and it still has not arrived.  Tracking says it is on its way from US.  However, 2 other packages with books have arrived after 7 days sent the same way.

I had my credit card and atm card sent to me from Canada both sent via courier that way they can be tracked.  I would suggest calling the bank having the atm cards frozen and if you do not have them by Monday call to cancel and have them sent again this time ask your sister to send via FedEx or such.

22 hours ago, juice777 said:

it is 4 Atm cards. For some unknown reason the post office told my sister to put that on the envelope and she did

and by doing so giving it the status "snowball in hell"

On a slightly  different note, I've heard that Thais consider farangs stupid

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

As stated the tracking number from any postal service outside Thailand is useless.  The items cannot be tracked in Thailand.  I had a book sent to me in August and it still has not arrived.  Tracking says it is on its way from US.  However, 2 other packages with books have arrived after 7 days sent the same way.

I had my credit card and atm card sent to me from Canada both sent via courier that way they can be tracked.  I would suggest calling the bank having the atm cards frozen and if you do not have them by Monday call to cancel and have them sent again this time ask your sister to send via FedEx or such.

Incorrect. Once a foreign consigned letter or package has cleared customs and been entered into the Thailand Post system, it can be tracked online using Thailand Posts website and/or app using the original, overseas-issued tracking number.

The OP states that the tracking says that it has been 'handed over to Thai post' so I assume that he is only re-checking the UK Post Office online tracking system.

The OP hasn't stated if he has tried entering the tracking number in Thailand Post's tracking system yet.

If he does and it comes up "not found", then he can request Thailand Post to initiate a search as suggested earlier.

If he does and it comes up with "delivery attempted, notice left" and he's unaware of anyone trying to deliver or leave a notice, then print out the screen tracking advice (or what's shown on the app on a smartphone) and take it to his local post office. It's not unknown for non-delivery to be reported but no notification left in the letterbox. Thailand Post is generally pretty good but that last leg of the delivery from post office to letterbox is fraught with lazy, indolent and dodgy 'postmen'.

Good luck!

Edited by NanLaew

I had a friend send me my credit card from the UK a couple of months back. Think she used Royal Mail registered post with tracking. Half A4 size padded letter. She placed the card inside a small brochure and some extra pages to cover that. Cost about £9. Tracked the letter from the UK as the OP did. Then went to the Thai post website and entered the number and it showed it arriving at the airport and later dispatched to the local post office here in Bangkok. Had it delivered the next morning. Took about 4 or 5 workdays. Stressed out worrying about it arriving safely. The last thing I would want is people knowing there is an ATM card inside the letter. The OPs sister was given some bad advice when she posted it. Hope the cards arrive.

On 10/30/2017 at 10:00 AM, Just Weird said:

The website won't help you track it,

I am right now tracking an International Signed-For item on the Thailand Post website (it's sitting at Laksi, delivery probably tomorrow).

Enter the UK tracking umber into this site http://track.thailandpost.co.th/tracking/default.aspx and slide the thingy.

In Feb, I applied for an ITIN for my wife. On May 15th, I received the confirmation letter showing her tax ID number.  The letter was dated April 7 and was mailed from the IRS office in Texas. This US government letter took 5 weeks to arrive. But what is confusing is a French "La Poste" postmark on the envelope. 

I phoned the bank they said they can't freeze them only cancel them. Theres been no transactions so because it says still in Transit and other people have said it can somerines take longer then 2 weeks I going to wait a while.

Incorrect. Once a foreign consigned letter or package has cleared customs and been entered into the Thailand Post system, it can be tracked online using Thailand Posts website and/or app using the original, overseas-issued tracking number.

The OP states that the tracking says that it has been 'handed over to Thai post' so I assume that he is only re-checking the UK Post Office online tracking system.

The OP hasn't stated if he has tried entering the tracking number in Thailand Post's tracking system yet.

If he does and it comes up "not found", then he can request Thailand Post to initiate a search as suggested earlier.

If he does and it comes up with "delivery attempted, notice left" and he's unaware of anyone trying to deliver or leave a notice, then print out the screen tracking advice (or what's shown on the app on a smartphone) and take it to his local post office. It's not unknown for non-delivery to be reported but no notification left in the letterbox. Thailand Post is generally pretty good but that last leg of the delivery from post office to letterbox is fraught with lazy, indolent and dodgy 'postmen'.

Good luck!
I tried the ems one and it just said error. I think someone else said that's because it's not arrived in Thailand yet. All the post goes to my condo office building first. So there's no chance of no one receiving it. But there is a chance of them putting it in the wrong place. But I have checked there a few times and can't see it.