So whats wrong with your home country

Once Bitten

16 hours ago, oldhippy said:

please explain for a non native English speaker

16 hours ago, oldhippy said:
16 hours ago, Tilacme said:

No eye deer

please explain for a non native English speaker

A blindeer, close relative of reindeer, but only able to smell its way.

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

You are complaining that the UK allows foreigners to become citizens and you are also complaining that Thailand doesnt allow foreigners to become citizens .

Make-up your mind : Should foreigners be able to become citizens or not ?

Not really. I don`t expect to be made a citizen here, only what wears me down as a resident is not being in full control of my own business affairs. Meaning having to hire services such as electricity, limited options at which banks and type of bank accounts they will allow me to open and many other services and deals reserved exclusively for Thais, many of which I have to be accompanied by my Thai wife because they simply won`t deal with me. At times I feel like a little boy who can`t be trusted and must be accompanied by an adult (a Thai). Can`t do this and can`t do that.

On 11/14/2017 at 10:18 PM, richard_smith237 said:

ah... the old "men pay for it one way or another argument"......   these golden droplets of narrow-mindedness keep cropping up in your posts MaeJoeMTB...  Perhaps in person you would come across a little more balanced, however, on this forum you are coming across as a bit of a 'crazy'... you really do have some issues if you are unable to recognize the spectrum of humanity and that not everyone 'needs' to be as jaded as you as it seems your experiences have only been negative, given a number of your comments it may seem the reason for this is self explanatory. 

I believe it is rare for a woman to date a poor man. When I spoke to women in the Uk they would first ask what I did for a living, then what car I had. When I said I was a door to door cucumber salesman and drove a three wheeler, they invariable lost interest. Yes, amazing, but true. Many women secretly regard themselves as prisoners in the marriage..until she serves the divorce papers.  Women can not love a man. 

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

I will let you in on a Belgian secret.

Years ago, as an assignment I asked my students to make an in depth study of Leonidas.

Leonidas turned out to be a .....Greek company, the entire management is Greek - but yes located in Belgium.

So much for patriotic pride 555.

And at that time it suddenly dawned on me that the name "Leonidas" was a dead giveaway.....

I always thought the name Leonidas sounded Greek. So, the Greeks are secretly challenging the Belgians and Swiss in the battle to be kings of chocolate!

34 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

I believe it is rare for a woman to date a poor man. When I spoke to women in the Uk they would first ask what I did for a living, then what car I had. When I said I was a door to door cucumber salesman and drove a three wheeler, they invariable lost interest. Yes, amazing, but true. Many women secretly regard themselves as prisoners in the marriage..until she serves the divorce papers.  Women can not love a man. 

I have to confess to beng the owner of 2 x 2CV's. Before the first 2CV i had a spanking new XR2 (one of only 2 hot hatches in about 1980, the other being he Golf GTi).  I know the difference in the way most women react to you having driven both. Just look at all the Lonely Hearts ads/ Online dating profiles and the question about what they look for in a partner. Oh yes, what a surprise ' Must have own house, own car'  Shallow

Edited by Gruff

16 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I always thought the name Leonidas sounded Greek. So, the Greeks are secretly challenging the Belgians and Swiss in the battle to be kings of chocolate!

There's another famous brand of "Belgian" pralines.

Daskalides.

Need I say more?

OK I'll say more.

Pralines are a Belgian invention - invented by a Swiss immigrant, Neuhaus.

And Stella Artois? Nowadays an American - Brazilian - Belgian transnational company.

Patriotism? Me?

18 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Daskalides.

Need I say more?

OK I'll say more.

And Stella Artois? Nowadays an American - Brazilian - Belgian transnational company.

Patriotism? Me?

Now I'm worried you're going to tell me Plastic Bertrand and Leffe beer are not Belgian, and that Belgians don't survive purely on a diet of moules frites!

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

Now I'm worried you're going to tell me Plastic Bertrand and Leffe beer are not Belgian, and that Belgians don't survive purely on a diet of moules frites!

Leffe is brewed by an American - Brazilian - Belgian transnational.

Currently it is brewed in Leuven; before it was brewed at various other places, but never in a monastery. It is not a trappist beer, but merely an "Abbey Beer" - and that is nothing but a deceiving marketing  expression.

And our moules (mosselen) are ALL imported from Holland.

Does your country have anything original - and worthwhile left, something to be proud of?

5 hours ago, giddyup said:

I was being sarcastic.

I realize that. But the wanderlust (great German word) in me has gone, I enjoy where I am in rural Thailand, and I have no desire to travel for the sake of travel and to 'get up and go' for the sake of getting up and going. I make my trip back to USA once a year and, if I never see an airport in the interim, that is fine with me.

Edited by JLCrab

4 hours ago, talahtnut said:

Things are no different here, if not worse?

20 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Daskalides.

Need I say more?

OK I'll say more.

Patriotism? Me?

Take a butchers at the UK: Rolls Royce, Bentley, Land Rover, MG, Etc. Etc. Foreign owned The only British vehicle left is the London Taxi. Electric power, water companies, Muslim Mayor of London, Luton is 80% muslim as several other places like Bradford, Chinese nuclear power station to be built, Gordon Brown flogged the gold abroad, Governor of Bank of England is American, even the bloody queen is foreign.

I just wish we could flog our government.

On 11/14/2017 at 11:51 PM, sanemax said:

I do think that you place too much emphasis on having a woman , its like you need to have a woman , next to you  holding your hand .

Eureka! Some men have 'no eye deer' of what its like being free and in control of their life.

I'm surprised you didn't get some 'forum stick' for that comment.

On 11/15/2017 at 12:31 AM, bazza73 said:

I'm pretty sure in all my relationships I was the selectee, not the selector.

Damn, an honest man, anyone that believes otherwise is kidding themselves.

Any man may chose a fit woman..but she will make the final choice.

On 11/15/2017 at 6:39 AM, Thai Ron said:

Yeah maybe if you lived in some shithole like Blackpool but there were a lot more than 7 balmy evenings every summer in London, mate.

My roadster got plenty of usage....with the roof off

On 11/15/2017 at 6:39 AM, Thai Ron said:

Yeah maybe if you lived in some shithole like Blackpool but there were a lot more than 7 balmy evenings every summer in London, mate.

My roadster got plenty of usage....with the roof off

Could you be more polite referring to Blackpool..turd receptacle might sound better

On 11/13/2017 at 11:27 PM, Berkshire said:

The USA has got problems--like everywhere else--but certain parts are fine to live.  I do visit quite often as I still have family there.  But every time I do, I can't wait to get back to Thailand.

Housing and restaurants are too expensive after living in Thailand. Getting some decent nookie is almost impossible at my age and I have been spoiled rotten in LOS.

5 hours ago, JLCrab said:

I realize that. But the wanderlust (great German word) in me has gone, I enjoy where I am in rural Thailand, and I have no desire to travel for the sake of travel and to 'get up and go' for the sake of getting up and going. I make my trip back to USA once a year and, if I never see an airport in the interim, that is fine with me.

I know where you're coming from. I started travelling the world at 19 and did so for the next 40 years, on and off. After I moved to Thailand in my 60's I lost the urge to even visit neighbouring countries, being quite content to be a homebody.

4 hours ago, giddyup said:

I know where you're coming from. I started travelling the world at 19 and did so for the next 40 years, on and off. After I moved to Thailand in my 60's I lost the urge to even visit neighbouring countries, being quite content to be a homebody.

Same same but different for me.

After travelling like you for 40 years, I no longer have the urge to travel around much.

But I still enjoy new experiences. So during our half year in  Europe we visit several countries, always rent apartments and stay  2 weeks or more at the same place. Also we regulary go back to the places we went before.

Less adventurous, but more relaxed and a lot cheaper than travelling from hotel to hotel.

And wife brings Thai herbs, so we can cook Thai-ish food anywhere.

While the 6 months in Thailand, we hardly go anywhere at all, we just enjoy the garden.