So whats wrong with your home country

Once Bitten

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Of course it's mismanaged. The only country on the planet that was well managed is Singapore and it's become too expensive to live there.

Never underestimate the ability of bureaucrats and politicians to stuff things up.

So it's mismanaged because you say so? Oh.OK, I withdraw my comment.

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, transam said:

If the UK can pay zillions of quid every year to countries via aid that have nothing to do with Mr & Mrs Brit, and pay for EU folk to retire earlier than Mr & Mrs.Brit  then l reckon if those in UK control get their ass in gear and think of Mr & Mrs Brit FIRST they may well have the funds to afford it..:stoner:

The Mr and Mrs Brits you are referring to retire on the state as soon as they leave school. Leave it to the Brits and the caring industry will die for sure.

Edited by Gruff

On 11/17/2017 at 2:12 PM, TheMekon said:
On 11/17/2017 at 2:12 PM, TheMekon said:

Stupidly high income tax and continual punishment of hard working and responsible people.

Wasting that tax on the lazy, feckless and foreign

Council tax - a family of two pays the same as a family of ten in same sized house - Services are poor and over complicated (sorting rubbish into 5 types of container and only having it collected every other week.

Massive tax on fuel

The failure that is multiculturalism

The left and the whiny self entitled

Minority interest promoted ahead of the majority

Adverts and TV programs filled with unrealistic representations of minorities and "alternative" types

Crime - especially youth and gang crime

LGBTQ stuff promoted in schools and in the media - Over representation of a tiny minority.

Begging adverts on TV and unsolicited begging phone calls from charities

The same old faces on the BBC for years

The joke that is the House of Lords

The joke that is bloated civil service and local govt pensions when compared to the average working mans

The joke that is football players and celeb salaries when compared to teachers, doctors, police, ambulance and firemen's pay 

Football every 8loody day :(

Immigrants from Africa, The Middle East, Pakistan, Afghanistan etc given housing and cash ahead of more deserving Brits..

I could go on ... But after 30 years overseas I do my best to ignore the terrible mess that the UK has become. 

My yearly pilgrimage to visit my elderly parents just reinforces my thought that leaving was the best thing I ever did.

I know a few Vietmanese in London, rescued and taken care for in UK by 'Maggies' dictate  They were lucky not to die in the sea, they  are incredibly grateful to this day and have made a great contrubution, Business mnded, successful and highly self sufficient. Deserving Brits ??  how many are sitting on their far backsides all day long in council houses because they are too ................... lazy to work !!

Edited by Gruff

21 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Or maybe: the British people accepting their hiso loso divided society? Just like the Thais do?

That division, and the acceptance of it  were the first things that struck me when I visited the UK 45 years ago.

Have things changed yet?

Not much it seems.

It has been going on for a very, very long time, since well before Magna Carta (sorry I need to check dates)  from the royalty to the rich and intimately is just a shift of power.

Like you say 'same same' as Thailand but a long time before, 900+ years or so.

Yep, the "elite" still want to ignore the majority of the people to feather their own nests.

We have MPs ignoring their own constituents, the people that voted them in right now.

Hay ho. Such is democracy.

You get a vote in a democracy, but the problem is who are you able to vote for and under what system.

Chinese seem to be doing well these days?

:crazy:

On 11/17/2017 at 11:42 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

All unaffordable in the long run.

Rubbish mate..Print more cash and add to the national debt..The Weimar Republic did it, so why cant the UK gov. do it.   Just dont ask what happened to the W R.

20 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Not much it seems.

It has been going on for a very, very long time, since well before Magna Carta (sorry I need to check dates)  from the royalty to the rich and intimately is just a shift of power.

Like you say 'same same' as Thailand but a long time before, 900+ years or so.

Yep, the "elite" still want to ignore the majority of the people to feather their own nests.

We have MPs ignoring their own constituents, the people that voted them in right now.

Hay ho. Such is democracy.

You get a vote in a democracy, but the problem is who are you able to vote for and under what system.

Chinese seem to be doing well these days?

:crazy:

Democracy is the illusion, vote which way you like, you get the same sh!t.

Tyranny is in control.

On 11/18/2017 at 8:48 AM, Gruff said:

The Mr and Mrs Brits you are referring to retire on the state as soon as they leave school.

It seems to be EU policy to pay people for not working..Too many people and no jobs.   An expensive government with high taxation is to blame.

On 11/18/2017 at 8:59 AM, Gruff said:

I know a few Vietmanese in London, rescued and taken care for in UK by 'Maggies' dictate  They were lucky not to die in the sea, they  are incredibly grateful to this day and have made a great contrubution, Business mnded, successful and highly self sufficient. Deserving Brits ??  how many are sitting on their far backsides all day long in council houses because they are too ................... lazy to work !!

On 11/18/2017 at 8:59 AM, Gruff said:

I know a few Vietmanese in London, rescued and taken care for in UK by

I agree, the Vietnamese are doing very well in London with their 1Billion pound cannibis farms.    Perhaps we should take a 'leaf' out of their book.

6 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

Perhaps we should take a 'leaf' out of their book.

It may have been just the reverse:

Group behind £50,000,000 cannabis farm jailed for 90 years. Ringleader Michael Corcoran, 51, his 13 fellow gang members, including his son Michael Jay, 28, cultivated potent strains of ‘skunk’ worth millions of pounds in specially-constructed two-storey wooden sheds in seven factories across Kent and Norfolk.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/28/group-behind-50000000-cannabis-farm-jailed-for-90-years-6812189/

15 hours ago, Srikcir said:

It may have been just the reverse:

Group behind £50,000,000 cannabis farm jailed for 90 years. Ringleader Michael Corcoran, 51, his 13 fellow gang members, including his son Michael Jay, 28, cultivated potent strains of ‘skunk’ worth millions of pounds in specially-constructed two-storey wooden sheds in seven factories across Kent and Norfolk.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/28/group-behind-50000000-cannabis-farm-jailed-for-90-years-6812189/

15 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Group behind £50,000,000 cannabis farm jailed for 90 years. Ringleader Michael Corcoran, 51, his 13 fellow gang members, including his son

Police broke into local teachers house in the village and found him lying on a sofa, completely stoned, upstairs they found half a dozen pots of weed.

The 'leaf' is already taken.

I prefer to concentrate on what's RIGHT with Thailand, rather than obsess on things about my home country that will never change. I came here for a lower cost of living and that's what I currently have. To get that arrangement, adjustments had to be made. These adjustments have not been debilitating or harmful. Anywhere you live, you have to obey local laws. Fortunately, local economies do not travel with you when you relocate. My retirement income seems to put me in a much envied class here in Thailand. 

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 3:53 PM, talahtnut said:

Scientific discoveries like the God particle...the Higgs Bossom.

They came from..........................................? Did they just appear from nothing? Did dark matter happen to be lurking around for no reason at all? Was there anything in existence before the big bang? Is the universe really infinite? If it is, does every possibility exist within it, like a supernatural power? If it just happened, where was all the "stuff" before? Is it scientific to believe that something can just appear out of nothing?

18 hours ago, Gruff said:

How many sit on their fat backsides because the government pays them to do so? If the government paid them for a bus ticket to the south of England where the work is and a cheap rental for 3 months, then nothing, some might actually go get a job. I don't know anyone would rather live 10 in a decrepit bedsit to get a pittance for a menial job if they could get enough to live in a proper house without having to get out of bed at dawn every day.

This one, IMO, is on governments that give the dole for nothing in return, and on every voter that elected them.

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They came from..........................................? Did they just appear from nothing? Did dark matter happen to be lurking around for no reason at all? Was there anything in existence before the big bang? Is the universe really infinite? If it is, does every possibility exist within it, like a supernatural power? If it just happened, where was all the "stuff" before? Is it scientific to believe that something can just appear out of nothing?

Dark matter, something you can't see, detect, or measure. You just have to have faith in it. Hang on, the scientists have just defined god. 

16 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Many scientist believe there is something god like about the creation.

Truly baffling..I still believe the Earth is flat.

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:39 AM, oldhippy said:

QUOTE:

They have zero control over EU citizens coming in, so they have to be stricter on non-EU citizens.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes that makes sense.

To be clear:

They have zero control over EU citizens (Polish plumbers and brick layers) coming in, so they have to be stricter on non-EU citizens (our Thai wives).

Right?

This is so so true, so true. We waste money getting our thai wives visas rejected for spiralis reasons, while east Europe gypsies walk in without a peep. It's a shame on UK gov.

On 17/11/2017 at 3:12 PM, TheMekon said:

Stupidly high income tax and continual punishment of hard working and responsible people.

Wasting that tax on the lazy, feckless and foreign

Council tax - a family of two pays the same as a family of ten in same sized house - Services are poor and over complicated (sorting rubbish into 5 types of container and only having it collected every other week.

Massive tax on fuel

The failure that is multiculturalism

The left and the whiny self entitled

Minority interest promoted ahead of the majority

Adverts and TV programs filled with unrealistic representations of minorities and "alternative" types

Crime - especially youth and gang crime

LGBTQ stuff promoted in schools and in the media - Over representation of a tiny minority.

Begging adverts on TV and unsolicited begging phone calls from charities

The same old faces on the BBC for years

The joke that is the House of Lords

The joke that is bloated civil service and local govt pensions when compared to the average working mans

The joke that is football players and celeb salaries when compared to teachers, doctors, police, ambulance and firemen's pay 

Football every 8loody day :(

Immigrants from Africa, The Middle East, Pakistan, Afghanistan etc given housing and cash ahead of more deserving Brits..

I could go on ... But after 30 years overseas I do my best to ignore the terrible mess that the UK has become. 

My yearly pilgrimage to visit my elderly parents just reinforces my thought that leaving was the best thing I ever did.

Don't despair.

Brexit will fix all that.

Soon the UK will be back to milk & honey & ruling the waves.

And Rees-Mogg, Boris, David will be the new Monty Python. I am particularly looking forward to their version of the Upperclass Twit of the Year sketch.

Sat at the airport now waiting to go back to LOS after a 6 week spell in the uk .
After coming here for my son’s wedding and to spend some quality time with my aged father I must say that the only thing I will really miss here is family.
I spent a few weeks here in June and must say that it’s a completely different feeling, English summers are great ( short but great ) but the winter months are pretty unbearable IMO.

Of course I am a visitor here ( left the uk in 1995 ) and have a different outlook now about the uk.
I guess if forced I could survive back in the uk but would not be by choice.

10 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Don't despair.

Brexit will fix all that.

Soon the UK will be back to milk & honey & ruling the waves.

And Rees-Mogg, Boris, David will be the new Monty Python. I am particularly looking forward to their version of the Upperclass Twit of the Year sketch.

I love Python, thanks for that.

However leaving the EU is essential for the future of the UK.

Nobody in the UK that voted Leave had any expectations that it would be easy.

I have studied the progress from the very start of the UK's reluctance to join in the 60s, the attempts to join and being refused, to the day we joined without a vote under Ted Heath and Wilson having a referendum.

Back then we thought we had joined a free trade agreement. I voted "stay".

Things have changed.

Supporting an expansionist, bureaucratic, hugely wasteful and semi democratic ideal of European domination isn't what we signed up for.

Only Germany and the UK are net contributors.

I expect the US, China, India etc will be very happy to make a trade deal making a bigger opportunity for export than the "Single Market" of the EU.

Don't forget, the EU are not happy (oh dear, where's the money going to come from) so will make leaving as difficult as possible. The German business leaders know they don't want tax on imports as they sell more to the UK than vice versa. (Check the latest on the political situation in Germany.)

Belgium can still sell us chocolates, but how many with 30% tax on top?

I have lots more to say, but I think you might have got my drift.

:smile: G

PS. Please don't confuse "peace in Europe" with the EU, it has been secured by Nato and the UN.

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

I dislike the bureaucratic, hugely wasteful and semi democratic aspects of the EU as much as you do.

But I differ about the direction we should go in: I am in favour of a different EU: better AND stronger.

As for peace in Europe:

Do you think peace between France and Germany (after centuries of wars) was the result of actions by NATO and UN?

I think it was a matter of economics, starting with the ECSC, later the EC and now the EU.

3 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I dislike the bureaucratic, hugely wasteful and semi democratic aspects of the EU as much as you do.

But I differ about the direction we should go in: I am in favour of a different EU: better AND stronger.

As for peace in Europe:

Do you think peace between France and Germany (after centuries of wars) was the result of actions by NATO and UN?

I think it was a matter of economics, starting with the ECSC, later the EC and now the EU.

Ah! If only!

The EU will not reform without a serious threat to the established programme.

This might shake them up, but look at Mugabe etc (historically a very big etc), they will blindly charge on hanging on to power until the brink of destruction.

The political situation in Germany as the only money supply, and the rejection of EU policies by other states will come into play later in the talks.

The EU is well known for "brinkmanship" so it will go to the wire if not beyond.

There has been wars between France and the UK, and between all parts of Europe for a 1000+ years.

The EU "detente" has been nothing other than a bit player in the last 50 years.

The big stick was Nato and the UN.

Thanks, I enjoy a message from you as you always have a good point.

G.

On 11/15/2017 at 10:52 AM, owl sees all said:

What about the ice-hockey??!! And lumberjack tournaments? And tart with maple syrup?

Might be able to get the syrup in Vientiane.

Believe it or not hockey and lumberjack tournaments are on TV. Maple syrup (the real Canadian stuff) is available everywhere in Vientiane.