If you are stopped by traffic police @ Pattaya

thairookie

On 11/22/2017 at 11:05 PM, snowgard said:

"Do not drive at slow speeds near the left edge of the road.

I have a garden."

BWAHAHAHA!

• 2 months later...
On 25/11/2017 at 11:21 PM, Wake Up said:

200 baht for farang

zero if thai GF is the driver. 

100 baht if Thai GF’s mom is in the car. 

Not true

My motor sai driver paid 200 and got a receipt...I was not wearing  helmet. I've seen loads of Thai pulled over. Just as the poor Thais were rousted from Sukhumvit and Beach Rd. The war on democracy is always a war on the people. by thugs with guns, boots and uniforms. It's not the white  Farang who are being harrassed..It's the dark skinned , poor Thais impoverished, struggling and denied elections in the face brazen corruption by the self elected authorities.....men with boots, uniforms and guns wirh not a single ballot vote...Any Farang who does not understand what is happening is a knave or a closet Nazi.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The new E-Tickets have changed things and I suggest if a policeman asks for money in his hand, there and then, it is likely a bribe.

I will happily pay an E-ticket if I get a receipt.............. Actually not 'happily' as I know the money is going to a corrupt Gov't in the end and the copper is getting his 20-50% in any case............. all depends if I feel they are 'right' or just 'greedy'...............

On 11/22/2017 at 8:05 PM, snowgard said:

After reading that I think I'll walk..unless I can get some 'traditional feathers'.

On 11/24/2017 at 7:49 PM, jaywalker said:

"Do not drive at slow speeds near the left edge of the road.

I have a garden."

BWAHAHAHA!

Its ok if you're wearing Traditional Feathers.  Does anyone know where I can get my  hands on some?

4 hours ago, sawadeeken said:

I will happily pay an E-ticket if I get a receipt.............. Actually not 'happily' as I know the money is going to a corrupt Gov't in the end and the copper is getting his 20-50% in any case............. all depends if I feel they are 'right' or just 'greedy'...............

Don't flout the rules and regulations on the highway  and you won't get a ticket.

simple.

oh,   not for some people.  :coffee1:

Edited by stanleycoin
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2017 at 8:01 AM, LennyW said:

It will be whatever Somchai the bobby says it is!!

But, if you want to help stop the rot...insist on a legitimate ticket!

the only legitimate ticket i ever receive is the address of the police post to pay the 'fine'.  i wonder those guys who drive zig zag or those who drive against the traffic ever gotten as lucky as moi.

On 11/23/2017 at 7:01 AM, LennyW said:

How will that help? 

There is a new fine system here. There's a bunch of cops at a police box near the old Dolphin Roundabout that specialize in dishing them out. They have fake (priced) fines listed on laminated sheets that are more than double the genuine prescribed fines and they ask you to pay on the spot INSIDE the mini-police station. You can actually bargain with them. I got them down to the same price as at the police station, so I chose the more convenient payment method available - cash on the spot.

If you think refusing this payment method will stamp out police corruption, you're deluded. I have been here 12 years and have never seen this type of organised in-your-face corruption. In past years they always kept it low key and you had to pay a plain-clothed money collector standing nearby, or sneak the payment to the officer, thereby making it feel wrong. Now they just come out and ask you for the on-the-spot payment as though it's perfectly legal.

So much for the military government stamping out corruption - it's actually getting worse.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2017 at 4:01 PM, LennyW said:

That is not rot... its how you get thing done the world over..In UK its known as business, and by lesser mortals, as greasing the wheels.

Its unavoidable.

28 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

That is not rot... its how you get thing done the world over..In UK its known as business, and by lesser mortals, as greasing the wheels.

Its unavoidable.

To be fair, it is avoidable. In any situation, if you want to get a ticket you can pay at the Soi 9 Police Station, that option is always available if you insist. You have to weigh up factors like travelling there and possibly waiting hours in long queues. They will take your licence, so there's always a possibility they will lose it. If you don't have a licence, then they will take your keys. If you are ticketed late at night you will have to wait until business hours the next day to pay it.

I always suggest taking the most convenient option after considering all factors. Taking a stand on some do-the-right thing crusade is stupid here. Do the best thing for you.

• Like 2

On 23.11.2017 at 8:28 AM, Pilotman said:

Dont break the law, simple, then you don't have to pay anything!! As we all do, I get stoped at road blocks regularly. never been fined yet.

Its your luky. In Pattaya even not broken can get ticket. As example for red light. You know in Thailand can turn left on red light. Some officer do not know it. So what you do?

7 hours ago, ardokano said:

Its your luky. In Pattaya even not broken can get ticket. 

Uh? Never happened to me, in +10 ears...

7 hours ago, ardokano said:

As example for red light. You know in Thailand can turn left on red light. Some officer do not know it. So what you do?

You can't always turn at red. Many lights where there is a sign that says you must wait at red, and they are the places where police wait for those who don't respect the sign/wait.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WeLubThailand said:

the only legitimate ticket i ever receive is the address of the police post to pay the 'fine'.  i wonder those guys who drive zig zag or those who drive against the traffic ever gotten as lucky as moi.

13 hours ago, tropo said:

How will that help? 

There is a new fine system here. There's a bunch of cops at a police box near the old Dolphin Roundabout that specialize in dishing them out. They have fake (priced) fines listed on laminated sheets that are more than double the genuine prescribed fines and they ask you to pay on the spot INSIDE the mini-police station. You can actually bargain with them. I got them down to the same price as at the police station, so I chose the more convenient payment method available - cash on the spot.

If you think refusing this payment method will stamp out police corruption, you're deluded. I have been here 12 years and have never seen this type of organised in-your-face corruption. In past years they always kept it low key and you had to pay a plain-clothed money collector standing nearby, or sneak the payment to the officer, thereby making it feel wrong. Now they just come out and ask you for the on-the-spot payment as though it's perfectly legal.

So much for the military government stamping out corruption - it's actually getting worse.

13 hours ago, talahtnut said:

Its unavoidable.

13 hours ago, tropo said:

To be fair, it is avoidable. In any situation, if you want to get a ticket you can pay at the Soi 9 Police Station, that option is always available if you insist. You have to weigh up factors like travelling there and possibly waiting hours in long queues. They will take your licence, so there's always a possibility they will lose it. If you don't have a licence, then they will take your keys. If you are ticketed late at night you will have to wait until business hours the next day to pay it.

I always suggest taking the most convenient option after considering all factors. Taking a stand on some do-the-right thing crusade is stupid here. Do the best thing for you.

You could also obey the law......

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 19/02/2018 at 10:26 AM, stanleycoin said:

Don't flout the rules and regulations on the highway  and you won't get a ticket.

simple.

nailed it...

17 hours ago, LennyW said:

17 hours ago, LennyW said:

The 'law' is not always that simple..it depends on interpretation by the police..and lawyers in some cases. As Tropo says..take the most convenient route out of a situation.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LennyW said:

Congratulations! I was waiting for it. We always expect these type of comments in any such threads about traffic police corruption and you delivered.

I'll put money down that even if everyone obeyed the law, these traffic police scumbags will find ways to fleece money from tourists.

Do you have any other fine words of wisdom to impart?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chivas said:
On 2/19/2018 at 5:26 PM, stanleycoin said:

simple.

nailed it...

Let me get this straight. Stanleycoin, in his infinite wisdom, suggests that police corruption only exists because people flout the rules and regulations on the highway... and you think he nailed it? The solution: Stop everyone from disobeying the laws and regulations.

I've seen a person ticketed for not having a photocopy of their green book, after they had gone through a whole list of checks and couldn't find an infringement to nail on him. He had a Thai licence. They will just look harder and harder for ways to ticket foreigners. They may ticket you for having your rear foot rests down without a passenger LOL. I've been stopped for offenses I didn't commit just because these corrupt cops were a little bit overzealous in their search for cash.

In the meanwhile, Stanleycoin, Chivas and all the other naive respondents should continue to bury their heads deep in sand. See no evil, hear no evil...

14 hours ago, ardokano said:
On 11/23/2017 at 8:28 AM, Pilotman said:

Dont break the law, simple, then you don't have to pay anything!! As we all do, I get stoped at road blocks regularly. never been fined yet.

Its your luky. In Pattaya even not broken can get ticket. As example for red light. You know in Thailand can turn left on red light. Some officer do not know it. So what you do?

Ardokano nailed it with a very insightful observation:

I have never been fined, so it doesn't happen. How can you argue with that logic?

LOL

The problem is that roadblocks/checks have increased 10 fold (or perhaps even more) since I arrived here over 12 years ago, so the inconvenience for do-gooders like Pilotman has increased 10 fold too. 

Has this increased (corrupt) traffic police presence in and around the tourist areas resulted in improved road safety. Of course not. They are not concerned about road safety. They are only concerned with lining their pockets with wads of cash. Road deaths have not reduced. The roads are as dangerous as ever. They focus only on easy prey - motorcycles, because they are easy to pull over and park.

In the meanwhile, Pilotman continues to go un-ticketed. :clap2:

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, tropo said:

Let me get this straight. Stanleycoin, in his infinite wisdom, suggests that police corruption only exists because people flout the rules and regulations on the highway... and you think he nailed it? The solution: Stop everyone from disobeying the laws and regulations.

Now look here you.  been here 20 years and seen most idiots on the roads Thais and Falngs, you suggesting i am naive, is just you showing how arrogant you are. :bah:

Can you tell us how many tickets you have had in your time here.

and how many were just the police making charges up against you ?

I have had tickets here and all were the result of me doing wrong.

i pay the fine and go on my way if i can,   if not, go down the cop shop and pay.

money will still go same place what ever.

Maybe you should start a poll about police issuing false ticket to people.

think you and a few others would lose on the ratings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or is it a case, that you have an axe to grind at the police over other issues ?   there are a few on the pattaya forum that have.

same as a few think rules and regulations don't apply to them as its not like that in there home country. :coffee1:

Edited by stanleycoin

15 hours ago, ardokano said:

As example for red light. You know in Thailand can turn left on red light. Some officer do not know it. So what you do?

And some foreigner don't know what sign says "no left turn on red" :whistling:

It was a cash machine at 2nd rd/central rd. for years until some killjoy added an English language sign :biggrin:

Same at 3rd rd. and Pattaya south.

Two other pitfalls:

On crossings with major roads that have a frontage road ("side road") you must never turn left onto the main road on red. Must be more than 15 years ago on holiday when I learned this for a fine.

For a long time there were signs on Pattaya south that meant no parking on even/odd days (alternate on both sides).

And guess: the text was in Thai only for long.

Also added English now.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

On crossings with major roads that have a frontage road ("side road") you must never turn left onto the main road on red. Must be more than 15 years ago on holiday when I learned this for a fine.

Interested in this comment but am a bit confused as to what you mean?  Can't picture the scenario you're talking about?  You mean if turning from a side road onto a major road?

Edited by SooKee

17 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Now look here you.  been here 20 years and seen most idiots on the roads Thais and Falngs, you suggesting i am naive, is just you showing how arrogant you are. :bah:

Can you tell us how many tickets you have had in your time here.

and how many were just the police making charges up against you ?

I have had tickets here and all were the result of me doing wrong.

i pay the fine and go on my way if i can,   if not, go down the cop shop and pay.

money will still go same place what ever.

Maybe you should start a poll about police issuing false ticket to people.

think you and a few others would lose on the ratings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or is it a case, that you have an axe to grind at the police over other issues ?   there are a few on the pattaya forum that have.

same as a few think rules and regulations don't apply to them as its not like that in there home country. :coffee1:

This is starting to get good....gonna go make some popcorn, and wait for the response from the other guy!

19 hours ago, tropo said:

I've seen a person ticketed for not having a photocopy of their green book, after they had gone through a whole list of checks and couldn't find an infringement to nail on him. He had a Thai licence. They will just look harder and harder for ways to ticket foreigners. They may ticket you for having your rear foot rests down without a passenger LOL. I've been stopped for offenses I didn't commit just because these corrupt cops were a little bit overzealous in their search for cash.

In the meanwhile, Stanleycoin, Chivas and all the other naive respondents should continue to bury their heads deep in sand. See no evil, hear no evil...

Naive...never ever

Stopped multiple times when i stayed in issan for a culmative 12 months or so and 4 times when hired car in pattaya. At least 25 times all up.....in 24 occasions passport IDP plus home licence big smile and on my way.....the one time i didnt have the idp i got a ticket and whilst i bitched its was perfectly correctly issued

Obey the rules of the road and you'll have no problem

If you have repeated problems try looking at yourself first to rectify it

Edited by Chivas
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SooKee said:

Interested in this comment but am a bit confused as to what you mean?  Can't picture the scenario you're talking about?  You mean if turning from a side road onto a major road?

No, my wording was probably not clear.

Look here:

leftturn.jpg

You want to turn left like the pickup in the picture.

There is a frontage road and a main path.

On red you are allowed to turn to the frontage road only.

On green you may turn left directly to the main path.

OK, it's pretty obvious but I was dumb enough to turn to the main path with a cop sitting at the corner.

Unfortunately I don't have a clear picture of the white/blue sign at the corner to read what it says.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1