Does the 800k Baht for extension based on retirement have to come from outside Thailand.

I plan on retiring to Thailand early next year and would like to use  a money transfer service transferring USD to Thai baht. Transferwise website says it would be done as a domestic transfer from within Thailand. I am looking at OFX. There website doesn't say anything about this. I tried calling them the person I spoke to said it would be shown as an International transfer but not sure how they would be able to do this as they would have to exchange dollars to baht before transferring to my Thai bank account which I plan on getting my fir couple of days in Thailand. Does immigration require that the 800k baht show coming from outside Thailand. Ive done some searching on the forum. Some people say yes some no. Is there anyone with recent experience who has used OFX or another wire transfer service for their retirement extension.

Immigration bureau website at

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

says

5.1 A guarantee letter from the bank in Thailand in Thai language (Attention: Immigration Commissioner)*
5.2 A copy  of all entries of the applicant’s passbook showing that the applicant has a savings or fixed deposit account  of not less than Baht 800,000* (all documents must be in the Applicant’s name).
5.3 Evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to Thailand*
*(Documents under 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3 must be issued and updated to be the same date of the Application and all documents must be in the Applicant’s name.)

I am still confused about

Documents under 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3 must be issued and updated to be the same date of the Application. How is this logistically possible to get these documents from banks and go to immigration office, wait in queue, and then present them before the officer on the same day?

1 hour ago, onera1961 said:

II am still confused about

Documents under 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3 must be issued and updated to be the same date of the Application. How is this logistically possible to get these documents from banks and go to immigration office, wait in queue, and then present them before the officer on the same day?

The bank papers (certificate and statement) are valid for 7 days.

2 hours ago, onera1961 said:

Immigration bureau website at

That is the requirements for a change of visa status or a visa application if you entered visa exempt. It requires proof the funds came from abroad.

The requirements for the extension is here. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_22 No need for the proof the funds came from abroad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, merijn said:

As some immigration offices but not all of them.

At Chaeng Wattana they want it to be done on the same day the application is done but they will accept one from the day before.

You can transfer from your us account to your thai account but send as $ then you get a better rate. Your next question go to thai immagration website and read what it says. I leave 800000 in an account and never touch it they are happy. I also use this money to get a thai credit card......security

As said proof of foreign transfer will be required if change of entry status required (as it seems is your plan).  For a large transfer see no reason to try and avoid the small cost of normal SWIFT bank to bank transfer fee as that will be a set amount so not a large percentage of 800k.  The money should be sent as USD  (very poor exchange rate if done outside Thailand) and the conversion to baht will take place at the receiving Thai bank (max cost 500 baht).

You are aware the financial requirements in Thailand do not apply if you obtain a non-immigrant O-A visa from Thailand Consulate prior to travel here?  Money can stay in US for one (or almost 2 years) before there would be a requirement to show funds here.  Yes there is a police report and medical certificate required but for most people these are minor if they have time for advance planning and there would not be any need for change of status once here as at entry you would get a 1 year stay.

You could open a Foreign Currency Account with Bangkok Bank, send money from US in USD. This account is acceptable for Immigration. Then you can exchange via Internet banking as and when you need to when the rate is best.

3 hours ago, merijn said:

Not for Immigration.You must take it very same day you ask for a Visa.

I just did this last week. Got the bank paperwork (letter and statement) and updated original bank book two days before going to Chaeng Wattana; four really as the paperwork was done on a Friday. Officials accepted it but I did have to provide a balance update from an ATM that morning to show that all was still in synch.

5 hours ago, onera1961 said:

If you're in the US, the best option is to open a Bangkok Bank account and then use your account no and Bangkok Bank (NY) to do an ACH transfer from your US bank account to Bangkok Bank account in Thailand.

agreed, and i believe that Bangkok Bank is the Only bank here to provide that service;

my social security benefits are routed here (to a special type of account setup by the bank for this purpose) through that Bangkok Bank Branch in NYC;

the social security officer (Manila) was quite versed in this process when i proposed it; she insinuated it was the Preferred method for all involved

17 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

I understand, only if you applying for extention in Thai consulate in another country, can be in a bank in that countrys currency.

Others may correct if wrong though

Most immigration offices will accept the funds being in a foreign currency at account at a Thai bank.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Most immigration offices will accept the funds being in a foreign currency at account at a Thai bank.

Ok thanks for the help.

Also if i may ask this..

For proof of funds a website of Thai consulate in Australia say they will accept baht in Thai bank OR the equivalent value in Aus dollar in an Australian account.

Im not sure if this stand for all visa type or just METV ?

If must show 800k in a bank account then i will rather have in Aus account earning 3%.

Leave there all year and forget about it.

But can do year after year?

4 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

For proof of funds a website of Thai consulate in Australia say they will accept baht in Thai bank OR the equivalent value in Aus dollar in an Australian account.

Im not sure if this stand for all visa type or just METV ?

It applies at a embassy or a official consulate to apply for OA long stay visa for retirement. The OA visa allows unlimited one year entries for a year from the date of issue. The equivalent of 800k baht only has to be in the bank on date your apply for the visa. You can also use an income or a combination of the 2 to apply for the visa.

It is possible to get almost 2 years of total stay from a OA visa by doing an entry just before the visa expires. You would need to get a re-entry permit after the visa expires to keep the last entry valid if you want to travel.

7 hours ago, XTREME said:

I am looking at OFX. There website doesn't say anything about this. I tried calling them the person I spoke to said it would be shown as an International transfer but not sure how they would be able to do this as they would have to exchange dollars to baht before transferring to my Thai bank account

I use OFX for baht transfers from the UK. You can access a page with your transactions, showing where the money is sent to (bank and beneficiary). I can't see a problem about printing off that page, which can be compared with the incoming amount and date on your Thai bank statement. (The amount will be a few hundred baht less because the bank help themselves).

33 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

I have the visa based on marriage (400,000 baht) for years and immigration have never asked where it came from...only interested that it had been in the bank for three months.

The check for funds-origin is done when doing a "conversion" from a Tourist-type visa to a Non-Imm Visa in-country. 

Get your initial Non-O at a Consulate before applying for the extension-of-stay, and this is not an issue.

If you can't get an initial Non-O in your home-country, and don't want to go to a nearby consulate for one, then you are stuck with doing a "Conversion," which requires proving the origin of the funds (among other headaches).

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

The check for funds-origin is done when doing a "conversion" from a Tourist-type visa to a Non-Imm Visa in-country. 

Get your initial Non-O at a Consulate before applying for the extension-of-stay, and this is not an issue.

If you can't get an initial Non-O in your home-country, and don't want to go to a nearby consulate for one, then you are stuck with doing a "Conversion," which requires proving the origin of the funds (among other headaches).

I plan on doing the conversion to the Non -O in Thailand shortly  after I arrive. How much does immigration need to see and how would I show proof of it coming from abroad if I don't have a bank account in Thailand yet.  I didn't realize there were financial requirements for the Non O

Edited by XTREME