Video: Sickening carnage as another ten wheeler suffers "brake failure"

rooster59

Video: Sickening carnage as another ten wheeler suffers "brake failure"

24909599_1101566873311601_8687644942726707524_n.jpg

Image: Tnews

Sickening CCTV footage from Suphanburi showed a ten wheel truck laden with stones plow into the back of a pick-up truck waiting to turn right at the lights.

One man was killed and another five occupants of the Isuzu were injured and taken to hospital.

They were all relatives out on a fishing trip from Kanchanaburi.

Dead at the scene after being hit then run over was 54 year old Prayoon Sirirat.

The ten wheel truck that caused the carnage came to rest 300 meters further down the road.

Driver Kamol Limjanthong, 67, said he had been to pick up a consignment of stones in Ang Thong for delivery to Suphan. He said his vehicle suffered brake failure.

The accident happened at the three way Ban Don Jaeng intersection in Muang district of Suphan. 

Warning: Graphic content

Source: Tnews

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-12-09

It would have helped if he had at least honked his horn to warn the poor fellas in the back of the pick up who never even saw it coming. I guess the pitiful excuse will be that the bloody horn doesn't work any better than the brakes. Long overdue for the owners of these vehicles, who send them out knowing they are dangerous, and trusting in some stupid amulets to protect them, to get hit with manslaughter and murder charges when these needless tragedies happen.

5 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

It would have helped if he had at least honked his horn to warn the poor fellas in the back of the pick up who never even saw it coming. I guess the pitiful excuse will be that the bloody horn doesn't work any better than the brakes. Long overdue for the owners of these vehicles, who send them out knowing they are dangerous, and trusting in some stupid amulets to protect them, to get hit with manslaughter and murder charges when these needless tragedies happen.

Horn is also not working.

Tip-top vehicle maintenance in Thailand...

And more often than not, the owner of the fleet of transport trucks is a policeman.

Edited by trogers

10 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

And was the road tax up to date? Doubtful. Therefore no annual inspection.

How come so many old trucks and old pick ups in derelict condition on the roads?  Answer is easy.

Why no government agency focused on police not doing their job on this subject? ... no comment needed. 

Absolutely sickening, all they talk about is bringing the carnage down, yes I see the inspectors everywhere stopping and checking trucks day in, day out NOT, applying heavy fines or closing businesses down that do not comply !!!

Edited by 4MyEgo

Man can't believe that, this guy should go to prison for a long time for this and face murder charges.

Ok lets give him the benefit of the doubt that the brakes failed but if he slowed down sooner and like other posters said blasted  his horn the people in the back would of turned round and hopefully jumped out. Yet not one of them turned round.

Actually forget that the brakes didn't failed he was either high, drunk or pre occupied with something else. 

With this one it most likely was brake failure,as the truck looks to be an ancient

Japanese one,  difficult to get spares for so probably not well maintained,  

the piece of crap should not be on the road,especially when hauling heavy loads.

so it goes on every day the death toll rises,the Government makes promises 

but nothing changes.

regards worgeordie

But but but what about slower speed limits for bikes? Age restrictions for big bikes? All motorcycles should have anti lock brakes??? 

No mention of van drivers falling asleep, reckless driving, brake failure on all commercial vehicles, wheels falling off, but they think motorcycles are the problem.

At this rate unless we get some new leadership, fresh thinkers, lose the grandparents raising the children mentality, nothing is going to change.

You can't have a developed country unless you have developed minds to develope it. £@#&!!!

24 minutes ago, scorecard said:

And was the road tax up to date? Doubtful. Therefore no annual inspection.

How come so many old trucks and old pick ups in derelict condition on the roads?  Answer is easy.

ago 

Why no government agency focused on police not doing their job on this subject? ... no comment needed. 

First thing I noticed on the video was the  truck, those old Isuzu bench seat trucks, where old when I first come to Thailand 20 years ago, do not suppose it has been maintained  for a long time ,as for an  annual inspection, Thailand does not have one , the only thing they check once a year, at road tax time is exhaust  emissions .

As you say it is time these old trucks were taken off the roads,but as this is Thailand nothing will happen ,still see a lot of these old trucks about, probaly all in the same condition.

....And it's not only brakes that are the problem. One of these overloaded, top-heavy monsters pulled up next to me at an intersection in Chiang Mai. I noticed that ALL the tyres I could see had either no tread or next-to-no tread and that 2 of the tyres (front passenger side and the tyre behind it) had deep rips and gashes in the sidewall exposing the inner mesh. I was planning to tell him but he roared off, turning right (before the lights had changed) in a cloud of black smoke and fumes (and with no evidence of an exhaust or muffler). When I told my wife later on, she urged me NEVER to get out of the car and confront the driver as I'll only put myself in danger.

Regards,

Joe

Edited by Shoeless Joe
typo

has he ever heard of gears or was he too busy on his phone, there was no attempt to slow down at all, he was in the wrong lane as well, too much weight and speed for the brakes, time to start locking up the drivers/truck owners and seizing vehicles. Making the drivers actually do heavy vehicle training would help as well but as long as they can slip the ones in charge of licensing an envelope it wont happen

13 hours ago, gr8fldanielle said:

But but but what about slower speed limits for bikes? Age restrictions for big bikes? All motorcycles should have anti lock brakes??? 

No mention of van drivers falling asleep, reckless driving, brake failure on all commercial vehicles, wheels falling off, but they think motorcycles are the problem.

At this rate unless we get some new leadership, fresh thinkers, lose the grandparents raising the children mentality, nothing is going to change.

You can't have a developed country unless you have developed minds to develope it. £@#&!!!

grfl8danielle.   Whoa there mate!  You certainly took your rant on a different course What do you expect will be done? Simple answer is nothing. You should know that as many times as you have posted..

kickstart said:........as for an  annual inspection, Thailand does not have one , the only thing they check once a year, at road tax time is exhaust  emissions .

Mmm, I have to have my car checked annually and a certificate issued to submit for renewal of annual road tax. They take a rubbing of the VIN, check lights, indicators and brakes on a rolling road plus a 'look see' underside from a pit.

I'm sure there is a more stringent check for trucks but most likely many are never submitted and don't have current road tax and mandatory insurance relying instead on issuing Form 100s to police checkpoints...

11 minutes ago, todlad said:

I did a very simple search for accidents in a country far far away that might be similar to this one. This is the list on page one of a site I found and I took the entire list even though it dates back to 2000:

Flying tractor-trailer wheel caused fatal accident on 417, Fatal collision (Friday, February 10, 2017)

Flying tire hits vehicle injuring occupant on Highway 401 By David Shum Global News (July 4, 2016)

Two wheels flew off a garbage truck near Ingersoll Wednesday morning, adding to a spike in wheel separations. By Megan Stacey, Woodstock Sentinel-Review (April 13, 2016)

Oxford OPP respond to another incident of wheel detaching from truck and striking vehicle on Highway 401. By Megan Stacey, Woodstock Sentinel-Review (February 16, 2016)

Wheel-Check Safety Campaign (February 10, 2016)

Man killed by flying truck tire on Highway 400 ID’d as former construction CEO

By Will Campbell Global News (January 29, 2016)

Wheel breaks off pickup truck, kills motorist in Lexington

The Associated Press Published: January 27, 2016, 7:26 am

Wheel flies off truck, strikes another car near Vaughan. Kendra Mangione, CTVNews.ca Writer (Wednesday, January 27, 2016)

HIGHWAY 401: Fly-away truck wheel strikes Ministry of Transportation vehicles at Putnam inspection station on Highway 401. By Dale Carruthers, The London Free Press.

(Monday, November 23, 2015)

FATALITY: Transportation critic wants more done to make highways safer from flying truck wheels. By Jennifer O'Brien, The London Free Press (Monday, November 9, 2015)

Truck tire hits oncoming car, kills driver on Highway 401 near Putnam. CTV London (Published Friday, November 6, 2015)

Flying wheel from truck in Mississauga causes woman's death

Brampton, Ont., resident Diane Tsialtas was struck Friday while walking on Meadowvale Boulevard (CBC News, Sep 19, 2015)

Flying tire crashes through car windshield, kills 23-year-old Independence man.

FOX4 News (July 8, 2015, by Robert Townsend)

Maintenance: Wheel-Check Loose Nut Indicator (Government Fleet, Managing Public Sector Vehicles and Equipment. June 23, 2015) - Products

Checked Your Lug Nuts Lately? Work Truck Magazine. Checking the lug nuts on a commercial motor vehicle should be a part of a Daily Vehicle Inspection Report (DVIR). Indicators of a loose lug nut could be shiny metal or new rust. If the lug nut is less than hand-tight, the rim could come off.

No injuries from flying bus tire on the Gardiner (01/24/2015) Toronto Sun, By Chris Doucette

This Video Is Why People Are Terrified To Drive On The Highway. The Huffington Post Canad, By Michael Bolen (01/15/2015)

DRIVING: It's a busy season for flying tires (12/10/14) The Hamilton Spectator, By Molly Hayes

WATCH: Runaway Truck Tire Crashes Through Window, Sends Man Flying (12/20/14) Fox News Insider. A janitor at a Texas medical clinic is lucky to be alive after a freak accident.

Driver whose truck lost a tire in fatal Route 28 crash did not have valid license, police say (11/21/2014) By Madasyn Czebiniak and Jon Schmitz / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Flying truck tire renews outrage (11/12/2014) Toronto Star. By: Alyshah Hasham Jennifer Pagliaro and Wendy Gillis, Published on 12/22/2011. The death of a 53-year-old woman on the QEW from a stray truck tire on Thursday is raising questions about the wisdom of closing truck inspection sites.

Grad student killed when semitractor's wheel smashes into car on California highway (11/10/2014)

Reviews of Lug Nut Torque Indicators by Truck Drivers

Wheel comes loose, crosses interstate, causes accident (10/20/2014) Wyandotte Daily, Kansas

Man killed on I-95 when wheel crashes into windshield (09/20/2014)

Police seize tractor-trailer that may have lost tires in deadly I-79 crash. Police: Tractor-trailer tires fell off and hit SUV in Aleppo Township (09/16/2014)

Wheel separation incidents can prove deadly; NTSB doesn't track them (09/15/2014) By Tom Fontaine

Mississauga News, Flying Truck tire hits Car (06/06/2014)

Update: Bouncing Wheel Accident Could Have Been Prevented (04/04/2014)

Pair of semi wheels fly loose, crash through SD house. (03/05/2014) By Ben Grove

Man changing tire killed by loose truck wheel (02/07/2014)

Wheel Separations (MEA FORENSIC) By Mark Bailey, MSc, PEng, PE

Truck loses tire, deadly New Hampshire truck accident (10/16/2013) Written by Mike Leizerman

Truck wheel bounces off police cruiser, strikes car, kills driver in NH (09/18/2013)

Teenagers Killed When Truck's Wheels Crash Through Windshield (06/22/2013)

Loose tires fly off truck, nearly hit two people in Hosmer (05/13/2013)

Woman killed by flying tire ‘had nowhere to go’. (April 26, 2013) AJC News. By Alexis Stevens, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Motorist Hit by Flying Tractor-Trailer Tire on Long Island Expressway. (April 24, 2013) By Greg Cergol NBC New York News4

Flying truck tires slam two cars on Oakville QEW(11/28/2012) Hamilton Spectator

Woman Killed by Flying Tire on QEW (10/15/2012)

Shaping Up Collection...Collection and transfer vehicles must stand up to harsh climates and rough use. Keeping them safe and efficient requires the correct choice of tires, suspension, and brakes. (04/23/2012) By Lori Lovely, MSW Management

Port Authority: Over-Tightening To Blame For Bus Losing Tires (02/27/2012)

Flying semi wheels smash through man's home. Toronto Sun. Jenna McMurray, QMI Agency (02/16/2012)

Deaths from stray transport truck wheels renew calls for heightened vigilance (12/23/2011)

Police searching for truck after Hamilton woman killed by flying tractor-trailer tire on the QEW (12/22/2011) National Post. By Nida Siddiqui.

Woman dies after truck tire smashes car (12/22/2011)

Truck tires fly off, kill young dad on Hwy. 401 (12/13/2011)

Loose truck wheel rips roof off car (11/03/2011)

Garbage truck loses wheels, triggers multi-car crash (04/20/2010)

Safety for Cents? (04/26/2009)

Driver killed by Flying Truck Tire on I-95 (08/15/2008)

Could a 65 Cent Piece of Plastic Have Saved Two Students' Lives? (NBC News) (02/27/2008)

Man Charged After Loose Truck Wheel Smashes Vans (01/04/2008)

Bus company installs devices to detect loose lug nuts (11/18/07)

Tire came from Michigan Truck (11/13/07)

Tires Killed 7 this Year (11/10/07)

Semi loses wheels, killing Shelbyville cop on I-74 (10/12/07)

1 Dead in I-5 Accident Involving Loose Wheels (05/11/07)

Fung Wah Trouble? Gee, You Don't Say!(January 2007)

Bouncing tire kills woman on Ontario's QEW (9/15/06)

Walter Forensics Engineering: Truck Tire/Wheel Separations (2006)

$874,000 Awarded for Man Hit by Tire (2004)

Flying truck wheels crush woman in Clarington. Truck was on route from Cobourg to Brampton. (11/21/2003)

MTA Official Resigns Amid Safety Failures (6/28/2002)

Probe Intensifies as Wheels Fall Off an 18th MTA Bus (6/13/2002)

Inside the NO. 15 Bus: A Jolt, then Confusion (6/03/2002)

17th Bus Loses Wheels; MTA Chief on Leave (6/02/2002)

White Removed from Investigation of MTA Bus Wheels (6/1/2002)

Loose Wheels Trouble MTA Officials (5/27/2002)

Runaway Bus Wheels Imperil Public (5/26/2002)

Trucker in Fatal Wheel-Loss Crash Likely to be Charged (10/2000)

Tire does wheelie down Hwy 401 (8/19/2000)

Wheels: Make Sure Things Match (8/2000)

Tighten 'Em Right (8/2000)

Trucking Safety Regulators Need More Resources (6/16/2000)

"Over tightening stretches the studs..." (3/2000)

Section 392.7 of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (3/2000)

Blitz Snares Unsafe Trucks (2/1/2000)

Large Truck Statistics(1/2000)

Police Target Reckless Truckers (1/31/2000)

Take a look here if you wish http://www.wheel-check.com/archive.html

As always, I am not a Thai apologist and I agree that the two trucks involved have seen better days. The driver of the killing machine, however, didn't seem to sound his horn nor take any evasive action at all. He should be imprisoned for what he has done.

While your list is impressive, it might have been more appropriate on another recent post with the poor lady on her bike getting taken out by the lorries wheel that came off. I do agree that both vehicles in this post probably shouldn't have been allowed on the road though there are a lot more out there in the same state or worse. The lorry driver made no attempt to slow or warn the pick up ahead, so the theory he was distracted or asleep does sound quite plausible and Yes, jail seems highly appropriate, whether it was brake failure or undue care and attention, or both.

Edited by darksidedog

8 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

While your list is impressive, it might have been more appropriate on another recent post with the poor lady on her bike getting taken out by the lorries wheel that came off. I do agree that both vehicles in this post probably shouldn't have been allowed on the road though there are a lot more out there in the same state or worse. The lorry driver made no attempt to slow or warn the pick up ahead, so the theory he was distracted or asleep does sound quite plausible and Yes, jail seems highly appropriate, whether it was brake failure or undue care and attention, or both.

You are absolutely right and I do aologise for that. More haste, less speed.

Brake failure brake failure brake failure.

i would be really interested in a post accident report on the truck... was there a fluid line fracture... excessively worn brakes... mechanical linkage failure tween pedal and piston etc etc

or is this (always) simply an unverified claim by driver, never investigated by a qualified third party?

So the horn was not working ? He did not try to give them any warnings ? 

He was just looking at them and "mai pen rai" , let's keep the truck in the lane and I'll be just fine . New day tomorrow. 

Edited by balo

I didn't watch the video, I have no desire to watch someone die, I have seen enough death and destruction in a former life thank you, RIP to the poor soul in the back of the pickup.

Having travelled extensively around Thailand by road (and rail) I have seen too many of these old trucks on the kingdoms highways and byways, they have had their day and should be scrapped now in my opinion, they are basically an accident waiting to happen. 

Edited by Golden Triangle
spilling mastike

Well, it almost looks like the driver was thinking full speed ahead and keep the carnage rate up. So many ifs and buts here so there doesn't seem much point in talking about it. Driver should be charged with at least the equivalent of manslaughter but that probably won't happen. My condolences to the dead man's family. Hope the injured recover.

19 hours ago, 2008bangkok said:

Man can't believe that, this guy should go to prison for a long time for this and face murder charges.

Ok lets give him the benefit of the doubt that the brakes failed but if he slowed down sooner and like other posters said blasted  his horn the people in the back would of turned round and hopefully jumped out. Yet not one of them turned round.

Actually forget that the brakes didn't failed he was either high, drunk or pre occupied with something else. 

Im assuming their are gears and a clutch lb this truck... no effort to gear down... even if it was auto... still no effort. Brakes were not the issue... negligence seems highly suspect imo