New Big C on the site of Grand Sole hotel

champers

Doubt it's going to be a Big C since there is a Big C just down the road at the redesigned Central Marina.  Plus, Grand Sole is owned by Chang Beer.  Chang, of course, also owns the huge empty lot across from Grand Sole.  You're correct that the hotel has been fenced off.  My guess is that Grand Sole will be remodeled and all the fenced off land next to it (the old shophouses, the land behind them, and so forth), also owned by Chang, will be torn down and redeveloped.   There is quite a bit of land there that would support several highrises.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, newnative said:

Doubt it's going to be a Big C since there is a Big C just down the road at the redesigned Central Marina.  Plus, Grand Sole is owned by Chang Beer.  Chang, of course, also owns the huge empty lot across from Grand Sole.  You're correct that the hotel has been fenced off.  My guess is that Grand Sole will be remodeled and all the fenced off land next to it (the old shophouses, the land behind them, and so forth), also owned by Chang, will be torn down and redeveloped.   There is quite a bit of land there that would support several highrises.

That makes sense to me too.

I am just passing on what I have heard from 2 different sources; one of whom is the security guard installed at the Grand Sole site. I was expecting him to say condos were being built, but he confirmed, without prompting, the Big C story I had heard elsewhere.

Time will tell.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yep, the security guard will know what is going on!

I still remember when the construction on Sukhumvit was going on, rumour mill said it was a new hospital. It ended up being a new Index building, despite there being one across the road.

A new shopping centre where there is a limited footprint, no parking and near impossible to get to from the North, and exit to the South, yes, a plan.

Did some research and found out that TCC, a subsidiary of Chang, bought Big C last year so they could build a Big C on the Grand Sole and surrounding land they own.  Still seems strange to me but I guess they could turn the other Big C into something else or close it.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

We have a new Big C going up next to the Sattahip (Thur.Sat.) market.

We just got a new Home Pro next to Nong Nuch garden resort.

We'er moving up....great stuff.

I used to live in Sattahip and found shopping there surprisingly poor considering the presence of several military establishments. TescoLotus is miniscule compared to what is needed to serve the locals. Maybe a much needed wake-up call to TescoLotus if there's good competition.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

A big Asda would be better news.

Asda in Thailand - doubtful. Even if it did happen Asda would still have to sell exactly the same very limited range of produce as the likes of BigC and Tesco. 

Edited by glasswort
Incorrect spelling

58 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

A big Asda would be better news.

Nah, a Walmart Supercenter would beat the pants off Asda. Not sure if Walmart sells proper pork scratchings, though.

Actually, to get real, I wouldn't mind seeing a Makro there. I might've said Foodland but evidently one's coming to Terminal 21. :smile:

3 hours ago, dotpoom said:

We have a new Big C going up next to the Sattahip (Thur.Sat.) market.

We just got a new Home Pro next to Nong Nuch garden resort.

We'er moving up....great stuff.

Speaking of Home Pro, I discovered a few weeks ago that the Home Works off of Pattaya Tai behind that Big C had been gutted and was being turned into something named Bed Bath and ???. Didn't use Home Works that often, but when I did, I found it to be more convenient and useful than Home Pro at Big C Extra. Anyone know what the new place will have on offer?

Edited by Suradit69
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Speaking of Home Pro, I discovered a few weeks ago that the Home Works off of Pattaya Tai behind that Big C had been gutted and was being turned into something named Bed Bath and ???. Didn't use Home Works that often, but when I did, I found it to be more convenient and useful than Home Pro at Big C Extra. Anyone know what the new place will have on offer?

Homeworks is now Baan & Beyond. Exactly the same crap sold by the same company. Only the name changed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JSixpack said:

Nah, a Walmart Supercenter would beat the pants off Asda. Not sure if Walmart sells proper pork scratchings, though.

Actually, to get real, I wouldn't mind seeing a Makro there. I might've said Foodland but evidently one's coming to Terminal 21. :smile:

Asda; a UK supermarket chain; is owned by Walmart. Same same?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bleble said:

Homeworks is now Baan & Beyond. Exactly the same crap sold by the same company. Only the name changed.

I didn't look that closely, but from a distance it seemed the interior was in chaos so maybe they remodeled??  I wonder why the rebranding was thought necessary (or an improvement).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

I didn't look that closely, but from a distance it seemed the interior was in chaos so maybe they remodeled??  I wonder why the rebranding was thought necessary (or an improvement).

Homeworks was moribund with only about 6 branches nationwide since inception and most of them in and around Bangkok. Meanwhile, their Thai Watsadu branded outlets have take off nationwide with upwards of 80 branches in a comparatively short time.

Back on topic, since North Second Road is a new condo row, I would be surprised to see a mall let alone a Big C. I reckon a condo/hotel development with a Mini Big C inside a mini strip mall.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

Homeworks was moribund with only about 6 branches nationwide since inception and most of them in and around Bangkok. Meanwhile, their Thai Watsadu branded outlets have take off nationwide with upwards of 80 branches in a comparatively short time.

Back on topic, since North Second Road is a new condo row, I would be surprised to see a mall let alone a Big C. I reckon a condo/hotel development with a Mini Big C inside a mini strip mall.

That makes sense to me, too--hotel and condo mix and some retail.  The Base and Centric have been very popular and in that area the only other highrise condos of any note are Northshore and Markland.  That area is becoming even more desirable and could easily support another highrise condo. 

10 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Do you think a Bed, Bath, and Beyond would come to Thailand?

7 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Do you think a Bed, Bath, and Beyond would come to Thailand?

I didn't remember the new name of the place. It was Baan and Beyond, not Bed, Bath etc.

As to Bed Bath and Beyond, it's stock was once around $80 on the NYSE and it's now around $22 and earnings have been falling quarter over quarter in the US, so I doubt they're thinking this would be a great time to expand into Thailand.

23 hours ago, newnative said:

You forgot to realize that Big C is also owned by Chang, and that they are now residing in a property owned by Central.

1 hour ago, janclaes47 said:

You forgot to realize that Big C is also owned by Chang, and that they are now residing in a property owned by Central.

Yes, I mentioned in a later post that I had done some research and discovered that Chang had bought Big C last year.  My error in the earlier post.  I suppose Central owning Marina could be a reason for Big C to depart Marina at some point--although Big C seems to be doing well at that location and it serves as an anchor for the shopping center.  Seems mutually beneficial but maybe Central wants something else in the space or Big C thinks the rent is too high.

Still think the Grand Sole property and the adjacent land--all very expensive-- lends itself more to hotels and condos with some smaller retail rather than a big box grocery store in that area.  It will be interesting to see what goes in. 

36 minutes ago, newnative said:

Yes, I mentioned in a later post that I had done some research and discovered that Chang had bought Big C last year.  My error in the earlier post.  I suppose Central owning Marina could be a reason for Big C to depart Marina at some point--although Big C seems to be doing well at that location and it serves as an anchor for the shopping center.  Seems mutually beneficial but maybe Central wants something else in the space or Big C thinks the rent is too high.

Still think the Grand Sole property and the adjacent land--all very expensive-- lends itself more to hotels and condos with some smaller retail rather than a big box grocery store in that area.  It will be interesting to see what goes in. 

Central wants to open a TOPS supermarket there...

On 14-12-2017 at 11:51 AM, bleble said:

and on Sukhemvith before chaiyaphruek 2 there's a Thai Watsadu shop, every time i bought something there, the ticket was same same as home works and shopping also, but more big.

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 7:57 PM, newnative said:

That makes sense to me, too--hotel and condo mix and some retail.  The Base and Centric have been very popular and in that area the only other highrise condos of any note are Northshore and Markland.  That area is becoming even more desirable and could easily support another highrise condo. 

I'm not saying that they are not building lots of new condos etc, but when all the "interesting" stuff in Pattaya has been driven away as part of the plan to make Pattaya the new Monaco ( :cheesy: ), why would anyone want to live on Second Rd in Pattaya, where the roads are jammed all day and the bay is full of turds? At least the big resorts are self contained for big gardens and such.

Pattaya without the "interesting" stuff is just a *hole with golf courses and traffic jams.

• Like 1