How can Thailand curb its appalling road fatality rate?

webfact

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 21/12/2017 at 10:29 AM, Happyman58 said:

How about this for a radical idea Now its just an idea ok  Sack 40,000 cops  Go to America, England, Germany and Australia and hire 10,000 cops from each country Bring them over here and let them patrol the roads for 1 years Be interesting to see what happens I know one thing there wont be to many Thai smiles around fro a while and maybe not so many drivers around either lol

And a lot of dead cops I would think. 

Edited by tryasimight

15 hours ago, Lingba said:

This country isn't ready to approach the question in the title of this article with any seriousness..they think its a joke

You are so right Its just a bloody big joke to die  The drivers think that and the cops do also 

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 6:29 AM, Happyman58 said:

How about this for a radical idea Now its just an idea ok  Sack 40,000 cops  Go to America, England, Germany and Australia and hire 10,000 cops from each country Bring them over here and let them patrol the roads for 1 years Be interesting to see what happens I know one thing there wont be to many Thai smiles around fro a while and maybe not so many drivers around either lol

:cheesy:x 40,000.

Perhaps your solution is for them to just execute traffic law violators on the spot, as they won't be able to converse with them!

2 hours ago, d4291797 said:

Sadly life is very very cheap here!

No one seems to want to get serious re this issue!!!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Frankly I've never seen such a load of old cobblers on TVF as the tosh that gets trotted out on every road toll thread on TVF.

The problem is a THAI one and the THAIS will solve it, or not, as THEY decide, not a bunch of farangs that think LOS should be like whatever over regulated hole they come from. I mean to say, if "back home" is so much better than LOS, why are they living in LOS in the first place?

20 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Frankly I've never seen such a load of old cobblers on TVF as the tosh that gets trotted out on every road toll thread on TVF.

The problem is a THAI one and the THAIS will solve it, or not, as THEY decide, not a bunch of farangs that think LOS should be like whatever over regulated hole they come from. I mean to say, if "back home" is so much better than LOS, why are they living in LOS in the first place?

Legislate and litigate until its just like home

The issue here is how does one reduce the tragic road toll in Thailand.

Only by education ,combined with firm deterrent.

Unfortunately a large percentage of the community are very poor. Relying on transportation in the back of utes, which as we know is so dangerous.

Seems almost a culture thing that scooter riders just pull out onto a main road without thinking of looking right!

So until there is a united consensus re change, sadly little will in fact change.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I love Thailand but as we also drive on these roads, it's valid to comment/criticise the driving when our lives are also at stake.  It's not just a Thai problem when we (expats) are also putting our lives on the line.

Many years ago Spain, Greece etc had a high amount of accidents the majority were scooters/motor bikes likewise in Thailand I believe  ?

both countries economies improved wages grew which enableb people to buy cars therefore reducing the amount of scooters/motor bikes on the road therefore reducing the amount of fatalities.

Unfortunately the salaries here are not going to increase that much to enable people to purchase 4 wheels.

i have driven long term in Malta and Italy believe me the standard of driving is similar to that in Thailand albeit they didn’t have the problem of DUI.

The problem with that, the roads here can't handle the four wheeled traffic it has now so any increase is going to be detrimental although I take your point that reducing the number of bikes on the road will reduce the fatalities. 

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Of course you are right, how can we comment without correct faith out on the roads :unsure: 

The government & the Police are very well aware I am sure.

Over many years the police have failed to do their job (unless there is money in it for them) & are now just a laughing stock 

Take Ratchaprasong  debacle where the police stood there & watched while tents got erected in the middle of a main road. Had they stopped that then (Their boss said walk away) many lives would have been saved.

eg: Travelling south on wireless road going through Rama 4 any car that used to cut back in from the turn right lanes was stopped & warned at least  Now for the 2 years it is a debacle where they watch on their 

screens in their aircon & do nothing

It is exactly the same on the roads , maybe now it is too late as respect for them has gone.

Bring over 100 cops from OZ & let them loose. They will make a fortune for the Government as well

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That is right Let the Thais solve it Its so much fun dying and remember they are No 1 in the world at dying on the roads Yeah let them solve it   Maybe you can give them some input into how to solve it ok Go for it

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 4:20 PM, Happyman58 said:

That is right Let the Thais solve it Its so much fun dying and remember they are No 1 in the world at dying on the roads Yeah let them solve it   Maybe you can give them some input into how to solve it ok Go for it

I think I already said it can't be solved without fundamentally changing Thailand to something I, and perhaps others, would not like.