Accident & Life Insurance recommendations and advice.

ozzmanrocks

Glad I read this thread.  My Accident Insurance with Bangkok Bank was up for the annual renewal today.  I am 68 years old.  So I went to Bangkok Bank in Korat (my normal branch).  Indeed after spending about 45 minutes there and some phone calls, they confirmed that none of their offers would cover motorcycle accidents if over 65 years old.  Anyway from there I went to Kasikorn Bank and they do have coverage which I purchased for 7,400 Baht per year.  Here is the link:  https://www.kasikornbank.com/en/personal/Insure/non-life/Pages/accident-senior.aspx

image.png.da703c3d4e6cae014e918afc876e2359.png

5 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Ken,

50,000bht personal accident insurance for a m/c accident medical expenses is hardly worth having.

Disagree, but up to you.  Counting the other coverage makes it worth it to me.

3 minutes ago, Ken said:

Disagree, but up to you.  Counting the other coverage makes it worth it to me.

What other coverage, unless you intend to have a 50k m/c accident every 7 years it's pointless.

You're retired, they won't pay 'loss of earnings' compensation either.

Not to mention, Kasikorn are funny about paying out.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

1 minute ago, MaeJoMTB said:

What other coverage, unless you intend to have a 50k m/c accident every 7 years it's pointless.

Loss of life, dismemberment, funeral, etc,  Yes, understand the "loss of earnings" thing.

On 12/28/2017 at 11:22 PM, chingmai331 said:

I know nothing of 'health insurance' as i carry USA medicare card.  If big problems occurs, not an accident, i hop on plane to nearest USA hospital and get treatment.  This is the best i can do.  Of course i don't smoke, don't eat to excess, nor drink to excess, exercise plenty, and avoid diseased women.

That "If big Problem I hop a plane"... does not work

If you have as you say "a big problem" normal airlines will not even allow you on the plane. This is why many higher end policies like Bupa Platinum etc have

a million dollar repatriation deal.

It is because transporting someone with a big problem is a big expense

PS: I did get a laugh out of that "and avoid diseased women." comment though

Is there like a special pair of X-ray sunglasses that gives you that sight? :smile:

Edited by mania

15 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Ken,

50,000bht personal accident insurance for a m/c accident medical expenses is hardly worth having.

If you carry more than a few thousand Baht around with you in Thailand, you are a fool...

So the 50,000 Baht cover does ensure that you will get some immediate hospital attention following a motorcycle accident until you can access more funds, should they be necessary.

• Thanks 1

If you carry more than a few thousand Baht around with you in Thailand, you are a fool...

So the 50,000 Baht cover does ensure that you will get some immediate hospital attention following a motorcycle accident until you can access more funds, should they be necessary.

Carrying a credit card or bank card should also work?

Personally I'm looking for 1m baht medical cover. Most I've found so far is 625k baht per accident medical

15 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Not to mention, Kasikorn are funny about paying out.

IMHO, the reason for having accident insurance is not to get your money back, it's to have something available so that you can get immediate attention should you need it.

Your comment about Kasikorn is correct.

We had the traumatic experience of my Thai step-son being killed in a motorcycle accident and it took Kasikorn 6 months to pay out the paltry sum that they covered, after wanting numerous copies of documents after they lost them.

On the other hand, the Government compulsory insurers handed over a cheque immediately on reporting his death... 

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Carrying a credit card or bank card should also work?

Personally I'm looking for 1m baht medical cover. Most I've found so far is 625k baht per accident medical

My previous comment about carrying large amounts of cash in Thailand would also apply to carrying credit cards or bank cards.

You have absolutely no protection against fraud in this country.

8 minutes ago, rawhod said:

My previous comment about carrying large amounts of cash in Thailand would also apply to carrying credit cards or bank cards.

Not true. My bank and credit cards both have fraud protection.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, rawhod said:

In my 36 years here carrying credit cards, debit cards and cash, never once have I been mugged, robbed or subject to fraud. If you use your common sense, your money is just as safe here as elsewhere. 

I'm not worried about carrying a couple of cards with me, same rules apply to UK, be careful. Personally I'm more worried about a big accident where the bill could reach a million pretty quickly. For small accidents for 10s or 100s of thousands I'll just need to swallow it myself

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

Not true. My bank and credit cards both have fraud protection.

So you are content to have one 1 million available on your bank/credit card, have it go astray in Thailand, have someone empty your account and rely on the Thai banking system to reimburse you?

Sorry, I'm not that naive...

I maintain two bank accounts, one has a bank ATM card and one does not. The account with the card only has sufficient money for my current needs, the rest of my money is kept in the non ATM card account.

And GarryP, just because it hasn't happened in 36 years is no guarantee that it won't happen next year, ( basic statistics apply)

6 hours ago, rawhod said:

IMHO, the reason for having accident insurance is not to get your money back, it's to have something available so that you can get immediate attention should you need it.

Your comment about Kasikorn is correct.

We had the traumatic experience of my Thai step-son being killed in a motorcycle accident and it took Kasikorn 6 months to pay out the paltry sum that they covered, after wanting numerous copies of documents after they lost them.

On the other hand, the Government compulsory insurers handed over a cheque immediately on reporting his death... 

Broke my jaw, over the handlebars while cycling.

Kasikorn refused to pay, broken jaw is cosmetic they said when the hospital phoned them.

They paid for the stitches (2,000bht), I had to pay for my jaw to be glued together (only 3,500bht for the jaw work, but not the point).

I agree with you, I had insurance so I didn't need to find money while in pain ........ Kasikorn never again.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

7 hours ago, canthai55 said:

^^^^ Don't jump to conclusions. Did you ask me where my cards are based ? No, you did not. Back under the bridge.

Fair enough, but no need to throw insults...

So, then I presume they are issued from your home country but you are living in Thailand (?)

Do you think it will be an easy task to claim for an incident in Thailand?

I had an attempted illegal access to my UK bank account and was frozen out of on-line banking for nearly 6 months. One of the problems you face is that banks, certainly UK banks, will not send replacement cards or pin codes to Thailand, the Thai postal system is deemed to be insecure...

12 hours ago, rawhod said:

I had an attempted illegal access to my UK bank account and was frozen out of on-line banking for nearly 6 months. One of the problems you face is that banks, certainly UK banks, will not send replacement cards or pin codes to Thailand, the Thai postal system is deemed to be insecure...

Every UK card sent to me in Thailand has been stolen, I have to wait until I go back to the UK to get a new one.

Most of the time I just use an email copy of the card, 'cos I don't have the real card.

So I agree with the banks, but they should give us the option of DHL (or something) at our extra cost.

12 hours ago, rawhod said:

I do think that its because banks will only send cards to the registered address and they will not accept foreign addresses in which to send correspondence 

12 hours ago, merlin2002 said:

rawhod give it a rest - the OP was asking about accident / health insurance... not "how to suck eggs" in managing ones' money...

Open your own post on how to be a sanctimonious know it all... :post-4641-1156693976:

I have checked the whole thread and have failed to find any informed contribution from you...

18 hours ago, cloudhopper said:

I agree. I would be interested in an accident policy with a 50k deductable and 5m max.

I agree with you.  But so far no one has shown any such possibility available.

On 12/29/2017 at 4:22 PM, chingmai331 said:

I know nothing of 'health insurance' as i carry USA medicare card.  If big problems occurs, not an accident, i hop on plane to nearest USA hospital and get treatment.  This is the best i can do.  Of course i don't smoke, don't eat to excess, nor drink to excess, exercise plenty, and avoid diseased women.

Your "emergency plan" is completely flawed. My friend who lived in Bangkok for 13 years had the same plan; except that he carried a VA card. His plan was to hop over to Korea or Japan or somewhere nearby where there was an American military base with a large medical center for "big problems". After his business failed and he was down to 40 Baht, he hopped a JAL flight to L.A. to among other things - get help at the VA for his uncontrolled, extremely high blood pressure. When changing planes in Tokyo, the Japanese flight attendant noticed he was sweating profusely, had a bright red face and some other symptoms. She along with the pilot and 2 others approached my friend and said that they were concerned about him and JAL wanted him to be taken to an airport clinic to see a doctor and postpone the 2nd leg of his trip. They told him "don't worry travel insurance will cover it all." My friend panicked (he only had 40 Baht on him and of course no travel insurance) and refused. They explained they did not want to be liable. They finally came to an agreement that a nurse and EMT would examine him on the plane and that the pilot would make the decision if he could continue.

He returned to Thailand 5 months later to move his wife and kids after the floods. 2 months later when he was leaving BKK to return to L.A. he had a heart attack while on the airplane (still on the tarmac)! That cost him 350,000 Baht and since he didn't have any money or insurance (again), the hospital sent him home with 2 guys who camped out front of his house in a mini-van for 4 days until he came up with the money to pay his hospital bill.

'emergency plan completely flawed'?   Yeah, maybe but i always carry more than 40 baht so i'm set.

And don't forget, that Chinese space station is due to crash to earth, but who knows where.  Are you covered by emergency medical insurance if that hunk of metal hits you at 13000 mph?  

• 3 months later...

Most insurance companies have strictly rules about motoriding because it is considered as highly risked. However, I had a car accident three years ago and still have some arguements with my insurance company. Often people who have to pay your policy don`t understand a lot from health conditions and you have to explain every little detail. I had a rehabilitation which helped a lot. Actually, I don`t know what I would do without this rehabilitation. it was in Singapore not in Thailand because I have a business trip there which I couldn`t postpone. If someone need a good orthopedic clinin they know their work.  http://www.hcortho.sg/slipped-disc-treatment/ 

1 hour ago, MolySG said:

Most insurance companies have strictly rules about motoriding because it is considered as highly risked. However, I had a car accident three years ago and still have some arguements with my insurance company. Often people who have to pay your policy don`t understand a lot from health conditions and you have to explain every little detail. I had a rehabilitation which helped a lot. Actually, I don`t know what I would do without this rehabilitation. it was in Singapore not in Thailand because I have a business trip there which I couldn`t postpone. If someone need a good orthopedic clinin they know their work.  http://www.hcortho.sg/slipped-disc-treatment/ 

Why are you promoting a Singapore slip disk clinic as a "newbie" in a CM Forum.

A business fishing trip I assume?

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Haha 1