British man dies suddenly in Thailand one month after getting married

webfact

5 hours ago, Face Rip said:

Well that's the thing.

It's not the fact that he died but how he died and whether we will really know the true cause.. how long does an autopsy take to conduct anyways? 

Oh wait there was a cremation 

If he was Scottish and here for 20 years seeing the ticket price to fly back might have done him in... 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, tracker1 said:

Unfortunately many foreigners seem to die in Thailand !

and? I want to die here.

If the subject of the OP has been cremated, while it doesn't look good, it's a lost cause to try and do anything about it. People do just die. I had 2 friends much younger that died unexpectedly, not in Thailand. It happens.

Sympathy to the UK family that will never know.

5 hours ago, Kerryd said:

According to posts on his wife's Facebook page, he was in the hospital in Udon Thani when he died. The doctors apparently

diagnosed him with Dengue Fever. He went into a coma and died on 20 Dec. It appears they did the cremation at her home village on the 25th (looks like it was at 3 day ceremony at least).

You're not gonna get some facts in the way of a TVF conspiracy, do you?

13 hours ago, tracker1 said:

Unfortunately many foreigners seem to die in Thailand !

Yes, but what's the median age of expats in the LOS? In the 50's or 60's.

A survey in the UK found that as people get older they're more likely to croak also!!

RIP to this man.

17 hours ago, zakk9 said:

If a foreigner dies at home in Thailand, an autopsy is automatic, and the family won't get the body until the report has been made. As far as I know, the autopsy is always performed at the Police Hospital in Bangkok. This guy however seems to have died in a hospital. Then it's the hospital that is responsible for the death certificate. Whatever they get from that hospital, I doubt it's worth much, regardless what the cause of death was. "Heart failure" is the preferred cause of death in Thailand....

You are wrong.

A friend of mine died a few weeks ago at his home. His body stayed in the house until he was cremated a few days later.

Can we have a series of parallel threads for stories such as this one?

thread one: the story as reported here and elsewhere; facts as they are known; friends and interested parties can offer condolences or congratulations and so on as appropriate

thread two: for people like most of these super sleuths who can wallow in their own mires of intrigue and ridiculous fabrication

The man died: 62 years old, new bride who may have been demanding and/or he thought all his birthdays had come at once. Long standing illness. Sudden onset illness. Suspicion? Ooh! what about the insurance policy? Cremated eh? trust  on one in the land of false smiles ... 

Edited by todlad

19 hours ago, zakk9 said:

If a foreigner dies at home in Thailand, an autopsy is automatic, and the family won't get the body until the report has been made. As far as I know, the autopsy is always performed at the Police Hospital in Bangkok. This guy however seems to have died in a hospital. Then it's the hospital that is responsible for the death certificate. Whatever they get from that hospital, I doubt it's worth much, regardless what the cause of death was. "Heart failure" is the preferred cause of death in Thailand....

Over exertion with a young filly will do that to yah...555

19 hours ago, Kerryd said:

According to posts on his wife's Facebook page, he was in the hospital in Udon Thani when he died. The doctors apparently

diagnosed him with Dengue Fever. He went into a coma and died on 20 Dec. It appears they did the cremation at her home village on the 25th (looks like it was at 3 day ceremony at least).

Thailand has Dengue fever? Was he living in a marsh?

Or was it some sort of poison to mimic or similar symptoms?

20 hours ago, Face Rip said:

Well that's the thing.

It's not the fact that he died but how he died and whether we will really know the true cause.. how long does an autopsy take to conduct anyways? 

Oh wait there was a cremation 

..autopsy takes about 1.5hrs.

A sudden death, the cause of which is unknown, becomes a coronial inquiry with an inquest opened.

Usually the appointed coroner will not allow a cremation until he is satisfied that the cause of death is one of natural causes and that there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death....RIP

Edited by tandor

Sigh.

Even when you publish the facts it seems people prefer to just ignore them and make crap up to try and justify their preconceived notions and prejudices.

It seems Mr Diamond had over 19 years of experience living in Thailand. He wasn't some wide-eyed, fresh off the plane, n00b that got hitched to the first woman that smiled at him after arriving.

He got sick around mid-December and went to the hospital in Udon Thani. He was diagnosed with Dengue Fever. A few days later (on 20 Dec) he slipped into a coma and died.

As he was in a hospital and diagnosed with a disease (that ended up killing him) it is unlikely that an autopsy would have been done. My dad was in a hospital in Pattaya when he passed on (from advanced lung cancer) and they didn't do an autopsy either because they already knew what killed him and could complete the Death Certificate.

It appears that shortly after his death, Mr Diamond's body was taken to a temple in his wife's home village where they had a lengthy ceremony (3 days) and then the cremation on the evening of 25 December.
In the case of my father, he died on a Saturday afternoon. As a result, it took us 5 days to get the paperwork, make the trip to the Embassy in Bangkok and then make the arrangements with the temple. He was cremated (after a short, 1 day ceremony) on the 6th day. I'm not sure if Mr Diamond's wife made the trip to the Embassy in Bangkok (though the hospital and the temple would have no doubt mentioned that there was certain paperwork that would be needed before the cremation could be done). I noted in the news article that Mr Diamond's relative(s) were under the impression that the "ceremony" had taken place in Bangkok and Udon Thani so there may have been some miscommunication going on there and "Bangkok" was mentioned because of the need to go to the Embassy.

As for Dengue Fever, when I saw that on his wife's Facebook post I too looked it up. It has been in the news recently (in Thailand) and just before Christmas a friend of my girlfriend died. She too had been diagnosed with Dengue Fever. 

Dengue Fever:

Symptoms

In some cases, Dengue infection is asymptomatic – persons do not exhibit symptoms. Those with symptoms get ill between 4 to 7 days after the bite. The infection is characterized by flu-like symptoms which include a sudden high fever coming in separate waves, pain behind the eyes, muscle, joint, and bone pain, severe headache, and a skin rash with red spots. Treatment includes supportive care of symptoms. There is no antiviral treatment available. 

The illness may progress to Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever (DHF). Symptoms include severe abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions, bruising, and uncontrolled bleeding. High fever can last from 2 to 7 days. Complications can lead to circulatory system failure and shock, and can be fatal (also known as Dengue Shock Syndrome).

19 hours ago, observer90210 said:

The usual golden rule...never league anything whatsoever to anybody in Thailand, if one is to pass away.  It is all a matter to be worth more alive then dead.

RIP

Worth reminding those affected that any existing u.k will you have ,as here,becomes invalidated upon marriage. 

21 hours ago, bendejo said:

She said the cause of her dad’s death was still not known.

Michelle added: “Because of distance and language barrier, we are still waiting for confirmation of the cause of his death.

“All we know is he became ill a few days before and ended up in hospital where he died on December 20.

“His funeral took place on Christmas Eve, the day after he had been due to travel home.

“In keeping with Thai culture, dad was cremated.

Cause of death still unknown, and the body has been cremated.  ????

..."we are still waiting for confirmation of the cause of his death."

That's what was actually said.  There's a huge difference between "waiting for confirmation" and "cause of death unknown"!

Edited by Just Weird

20 hours ago, Kerryd said:

According to the OP also he was in hospital.

19 hours ago, sanemax said:

Way too many "probablys" , "coulds" and "maybes" and assumptions in that post

Absolutely but, then, this is Thaivisa and it survives on the irrational speculation of the irrational.  

One too many "dude" also.

Edited by Just Weird

16 hours ago, smedly said:

well you won't know until and autopsy is carried out, very few details given..........many sudden deaths require investigation when the actually cause is not obvious.

PS - and it seems in this case he was ill in hospital

Just because Thaivisa hasn't access to the details doesn't mean that there were very few.