Six rescued from Phuket fishing tour boat after two days adrift

webfact

Six rescued from Phuket fishing tour boat after two days adrift

Eakkapop Thongtub

1514710994_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: A Royal Thai Navy search helicopter has located and coordinated the safe recovery of six people on board a fishing tour boat found adrift some 20 nautical miles off Promthep Cape, Phuket’s southernmost point, after two days missing at sea.

The six were safely brought back to Phuket by a Royal Thai Navy boat, reported local conservation group Go Eco Phuket, which first raised the alarm by posting an appeal from one of the crewman’s parents calling for the Navy to a launch for their son and his crewmates.

The boat, the “Jirin”, departed Phuket at about 8am on Friday (Dec 29), but at about 3pm one of the crewmen on board, named only as Mr Komsan, called home, saying that the oil line was leaking, the parents explained.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/six-rescued-from-phuket-fishing-tour-boat-after-two-days-adrift-65363.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-01-01

,,,,,,,,,,called home, saying that the oil line was leaking, the parents explained.

How did he call home? Close enough inshore to get a cellphone signal or do his parents have a shore-to-ship radio?

stephenl wrote:

Strange that they were out of reach of the boat radio 

I can't find mention of a radio in the reports.

20 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

,,,,,,,,,,called home, saying that the oil line was leaking, the parents explained.

How did he call home? Close enough inshore to get a cellphone signal or do his parents have a shore-to-ship radio?

stephenl wrote:

Strange that they were out of reach of the boat radio 

I can't find mention of a radio in the reports.

Yes, no mention of a radio, which is my point.

Not until almost at Racha Noi does the mobile signal stop, and even there it is working at some places.

And please write my name correct and quote the post in full, you left out a very important part ' Or maybe there was an issue with the radio? ', like not working or missing completely.

2 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Sadly  and I understand.   

Some people can't swim  a meter but boats commonly have no life vests.   

I don't worry about it from a personal standpoint as I watch  out for what I do.

All these boats will have life jackets.