Dual pricing: What happened when a Thai was charged the ‘farang price’

snoop1130

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 18/01/2018 at 11:07 AM, kurtmartens said:

But Thailand isnt the only country that does this .... I don't know why us expats get so upset about paying an extra dollar or 2.  Are folks that broke or is this just some silly farang pride thing?  (not poking at you, just asking)

Hmm... good point/question. Let me see... ok firstly, I can't speak for other foreigners in this forum, or in Thailand, so  I can't say if the folks are really that broke, or if it's a farang pride thing. On the latter, may I just say, any such pride is sorely misplaced, to start with. Anyway, back to the topic. You're right, Thailand isn't the only country. However, since I have not travelled to many, I can't comment on how it is in other countries. In Thailand, I guess it's how they implement it that gets to me. It's just so blatant and is overly discriminating. It's based on how you look, and your skin tone, not based on who you really are. Also the prices - THB40 vs THB400? That's a difference of almost 1,000 percent. I can agree with tourists not paying local taxes and therefore have to pay a bit more to the upkeep of a particular attraction, but 1,000 percent? Plus, we are supposed to get a relief if we show we're working (and paying taxes!) here, but most park and temple ticketing just ignore this rule. Some are even rude about it!

On this note, I would like to single out the ticketing girl at Ancient City in Samut Prakan. She actually asked if I was working in Thailand and when I said yes, she asked for a copy of my work permit. She made a record of it, and charged me a local entrance fee. As for my visiting family, she thought about it a bit, then she qualified that since I was paying, they will all get the local ticket. In fact, she was the one who taught me that there is this rule in Thailand - tax-paying expatriates pay local fees.

20 minutes ago, outsider said:

Hmm... good point/question. Let me see... ok firstly, I can't speak for other foreigners in this forum, or in Thailand, so  I can't say if the folks are really that broke, or if it's a farang pride thing. On the latter, may I just say, any such pride is sorely misplaced, to start with. Anyway, back to the topic. You're right, Thailand isn't the only country. However, since I have not travelled to many, I can't comment on how it is in other countries. In Thailand, I guess it's how they implement it that gets to me. It's just so blatant and is overly discriminating. It's based on how you look, and your skin tone, not based on who you really are. Also the prices - THB40 vs THB400? That's a difference of almost 1,000 percent. I can agree with tourists not paying local taxes and therefore have to pay a bit more to the upkeep of a particular attraction, but 1,000 percent? Plus, we are supposed to get a relief if we show we're working (and paying taxes!) here, but most park and temple ticketing just ignore this rule. Some are even rude about it!

On this note, I would like to single out the ticketing girl at Ancient City in Samut Prakan. She actually asked if I was working in Thailand and when I said yes, she asked for a copy of my work permit. She made a record of it, and charged me a local entrance fee. As for my visiting family, she thought about it a bit, then she qualified that since I was paying, they will all get the local ticket. In fact, she was the one who taught me that there is this rule in Thailand - tax-paying expatriates pay local fees.

Every foreigner in Thailand pays tax.

It is called VAT.

How many locals pay income tax?

On 1/18/2018 at 6:11 AM, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

"Yesterday, the Ministry of Commerce responded that it would investigate the matter. If the vendor is found guilty of overcharging customers, she would face up to seven years in prison and/or up to a fine of THB100,000."

At the same time they should investigate the National Park Authorities for charging foreigners 10 times more for park admission fees :cheesy:

No need to worry, as the Ministry of Commerce will be along soon to arrest the officials at the National Parks and have them jailed for up to 7 years and and/or fined up to 100,000 baht.  If they find that the National Park officials were instructed or authorized by the Government to overcharge foreigners, then those Government officials will be pursued, with no expense spared, to whatever country they end up hiding in until they are brought to justice.   :sleep:

25 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Every foreigner in Thailand pays tax.

It is called VAT.

How many locals pay income tax?

Last I checked, VAT is refundable when one leaves Thailand, no? If yes, then the tax that was 'paid' wasn't really 'paid', was it?

As for whether locals pay income tax or not, I'm afraid that wasn't the point of my post/comment.

1 minute ago, outsider said:

Last I checked, VAT is refundable when one leaves Thailand, no? If yes, then the tax that was 'paid' wasn't really 'paid', was it?

As for whether locals pay income tax or not, I'm afraid that wasn't the point of my post/comment.

WooooW.

Thank you for that information.

I really was not aware of that.

From now on I will keep all my receipts from 7 11, Makro, restaurants, etc, and claim a VAT refund when I make a trip to Europe.

36 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

WooooW.

From now on I will keep all my receipts from 7 11, Makro, restaurants, etc, and claim a VAT refund when I make a trip to Europe.

Wooow... you're welcome.

So we all agree now that "the Thais pay taxes, but the farangs don't" is not a valid argument pro differential pricing of national parks etc?

Farangs pay VAT just like Thais.

Farang tourist do not pay income tax, and neither do most Thais.

Only some Farangs (working here) and some Thais (registered as working, and above the taxable minimum) pay income tax.

21 hours ago, DieterWiehe said:

try that if you visit Wat Prah Keo or some National Park were Foreigners pay 10X the Thai price. the Government gives a good example the  cheat and not even feel bad about

I have always stayed away from the heard, because I know how much they will pay

2 hours ago, outsider said:

That might be their rule in Ancient City, but that doesn't make it a rule for all of Thailand ;)

And as others said before, every foreigner here is paying tax, probably more than most thais, so this argument doesn't make much sense

WooooW.

Vat is only refundable for goods purchased above certain amount, if I'm not mistaken 3k Baht and you need to show the goods are not used when leaving the country. For anything consumed in the country, refund is not applicable.

3 minutes ago, shady86 said:
1 hour ago, oldhippy said:
WooooW.

Vat is only refundable for goods purchased above certain amount, if I'm not mistaken 3k Baht and you need to show the goods are not used when leaving the country. For anything consumed in the country, refund is not applicable.

Of course not.......

I was being sarcastical, after reading that VAT nonsense from Outsider.

4 hours ago, outsider said:

Some VAT is refundable to tourists.  If you live in Thailand it doesn't count.  However if you leave and take new items with you then they can be tax exempt.  On the other hand arriving in your next destination you may well have to pay import duty on those items.  It does depend on quite a lot of things and for the UK you can take in a container of personal items (on a one off basis) if you are moving back there.

Foreigners working in Thailand do pay taxes and so do the self employed.  However Thailand being Thailand any Thai accountant worth his salt will ensure you pay very little or none at all.  It's not fair but as the accountant will tell you because of the enormous shortfalls in Thais paying tax the government will try to sting the foreigner all it can get and that isn't fair either.

On 17/01/2018 at 12:32 PM, 4MyEgo said:

Shame shame shame, I never pay more than 30 baht as a farang to eat the same stuff from a street food vendor, my wife makes sure of that before she orders, good to have a wife with balls when it comes to the old mighty baht and dual pricing...lol

Nice to hear of a "Lady boy" looking after a "Duel pricing" isue. Good for you both :-)

On 1/17/2018 at 8:28 PM, samsensam said:

been here long enough to know the price of things, cant  remember the last time i was charged an inflated price based on race. in fact the opposite happens quite often, i am advised of discounts and 2 for 1 deals and such like that i wasn't aware of as i dont read thai.

Reading Thai is not too difficult if you sign up with the right website.

However, reading hardly helps with understanding.......

You still have to do a lot more work (or give up like I did), but at amolst 76, I hope I'm forgiven.

(Google LearnThai the rapid way)

Try the free stuff first and see how easy it is.

Dual pricing is not unique to Thailand. I lived at some tourist spots in Australia, a local parking sticker on my car, free parking and visitors paid , 10% off at restaurants with your local license, free admission to local attractions. Even the local overpriced convenience store had a discount once they got to know you.

35 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Dual pricing is not unique to Thailand. I lived at some tourist spots in Australia, a local parking sticker on my car, free parking and visitors paid , 10% off at restaurants with your local license, free admission to local attractions. Even the local overpriced convenience store had a discount once they got to know you.

So it was possible to become a local - formally and informally?

That's the difference with Thailand.

37 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

10% is a little different then ten times the price .

12 hours ago, laislica said:

Reading Thai is not too difficult if you sign up with the right website.

However, reading hardly helps with understanding.......

You still have to do a lot more work (or give up like I did), but at amolst 76, I hope I'm forgiven.

(Google LearnThai the rapid way)

Try the free stuff first and see how easy it is.

I learned to read and write Thai in one month. 1 hour a day with a book for 200 baht from AUA.

No excuse for anyone living here not to learn it, IMHO. A 3 year old can do it. A friend of mine has lived here for 20 years and doesn't know Thai  numbers, or what month it is! What makes it more bizarre is that her is a language teacher with a qualification in language acquisition!!

Edited by Neeranam

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I learned to read and write Thai in one month. 1 hour a day with a book for 200 baht from AUA.

No excuse for anyone living here not to learn it, IMHO. A 3 year old can do it. A friend of mine has lived here for 20 years and doesn't know Thai  numbers, or what month it is! What makes it more bizarre is that her is a language teacher with a qualification in language acquisition!!

The best way to learn Thai is to read it . If you can’t read Thai then it’s almost impossible to learn the tone . 

Whilst farang are often charged more than Thais, there are many things that work in our favour. I am let off by traffic police all the time, for example, especially with my kids in the car. I can get discount that Thais wouldn't have the nerve to ask for, and better service in shops. Bank workers go out of their way to help me. I don't lose face very easily, which enables me to get away with a lot more than my Thai brothers and sisters. 

People remember me which used to be a bad thing when I was a 'naughty boy' Now it is an advantage. Thai people are not all after money(anymore than foreigners) and the longer I live out of Bangkok/tourist areas, I realise this.

I hate to hear the farang saying, "they can't do this to me, do you know what would happen in United Farangland if they did this?". Quite simply, I have started a new life in a country, which will never accept me as one of them, even if I pass a degree in Thai, become a monk, or become a Thai citizen(which once applied for)

I have to chill out and adjust certain ideas and attitudes. I must remember that this is not my home country, and therefore has different ways of doing things. Christ, that is one of the reasons I love it here. I used to want them to keep doing the things I liked and stop doing the things I didn't like. What a shity attitude!

Realise what I can change and what I can't. Don't let the things that you can't get on top of you, they're not worth it. Once you have done this, weigh up the pros and cons of living in a new land and decide if it is for me or not. I have not been sentenced to live in Thailand, it is my choice.

Some things like double pricing are the Thai way an I sometimes think I should simply respect their decision - when I do this I usually see that they have a valid reason for doing something that thought 'racist' or unfair. 

It's my fear of being take advantage of that I have to address. "can't have them pesky Siamese getting the better of ME, the almighty!

Once you've seen one temple, you've seen them all anyway.

N N

On 1/17/2018 at 8:31 PM, White Christmas13 said:

I am glad I left Thailand what a country to live in

After 30 years in Thailand I now live in Philippines. Easier Visa and can actually get Phil Med, a medical plan, it does not cover 100% but it helps.

On 18/01/2018 at 10:07 AM, kurtmartens said:

But Thailand isnt the only country that does this .... I don't know why us expats get so upset about paying an extra dollar or 2.  Are folks that broke or is this just some silly farang pride thing?  (not poking at you, just asking)

I think you will find that 1,000% increase in the price for National Parks is more than a pride thing.

1 hour ago, taipan1949 said:

After 30 years in Thailand I now live in Philippines. Easier Visa and can actually get Phil Med, a medical plan, it does not cover 100% but it helps.

30 years and you couldn't figure out how to get an easy visa, Permanent Residency, citizenship or anything else. What were you doing?

31 minutes ago, chrissables said:

I think you will find that 1,000% increase in the price for National Parks is more than a pride thing.

Sure.  But you know the standard answer ... "You don't like .. .you don't have to go to the National Parks".

I was once overcharged 100 baht for spring rolls. Should have been 40 and I was charged 140 baht. I was new and didn’t want to start any trouble so just paid it and never returned. My gf’s place is just down the soi and everyday we meet around there for lunch and most nights have dinner in that area too. Considering the amount I’ve spent at restaurants either side of theirs in the 2 years since then I hope their happy with that 100 baht. Pricks.

On 1/17/2018 at 7:32 PM, 4MyEgo said:

Shame shame shame, I never pay more than 30 baht as a farang to eat the same stuff from a street food vendor, my wife makes sure of that before she orders, good to have a wife with balls when it comes to the old mighty baht and dual pricing...lol

"good to have a wife with balls"  You ave a Ladyboy ? 

9 hours ago, ikke said:

"good to have a wife with balls"  You ave a Ladyboy ? 

Lol....no, figure of speech, Wife has balls, meaning she grows them when she is peed off when someone is try to rip me or her or us off

On 1/18/2018 at 8:09 PM, Swedenlars said:

... a farang  bloke would fall in love with her and soon after buy her ... a house in Isaan. 

My wife's an Isaan woman, she's always lived here and we live happily here together now.

Before we married, I was in touch with her every day. In the days before I came on a visit to her, she said 'When you come next week, I have a big surprise for you'. 

My 'big surprise' was that she'd begun building a nice, modern house on her previously-vacant plot, totally funded out of her own pocket - no loan or mortgage. Never once did she ask me for any 'help' with expenses.

No, she's not from a rich family but has been a teacher for 40 years, until retirement, and earned the appropriate salary from which she'd saved. Oh, a widow with 2 sons too, for 20+ years before we met. 

I consider my wife to be not only a very good woman in all respects but one of the best I could want to meet anywhere, Thai or other nationality. 

Don't try to impress your own bad experiences in Thailand, and with Thai women, on those many, many of us with those good experiences of women here.