on motorcyle and car hit and run today

Seanbhoy

Today at 8.20am I was at victory monument on my motorcycle, the lights were red and changed to green, I just gave the bike a tiny amount throttle and a black car, like a people carrier drove right into me, I was literally at a stand still, not moving, it bashed into my bike and sped off, I was left laying on the floor as couldn't keep my balance and the bike fell on top of me, bruised my leg but really bashed my elbow and it cut open.

the police didn't see and probably don't care but the army were really good, just moved my bike, told me to sit quick, cleaned the cut and dressed the wound, it was 100% not my fault, just a pissed off driver probably late for work.

Army told me he sped off cos doesn't want to pay me money (that's what I understood).

this happen to anyone before and if so did you report to it the police? I'm sure there is cctv.

I dunno what I would gain from reporting it, my work said I should.

I drive everyday, 30km to work and 30km back and never had an accident before, never had any problems before accept forgetting my license twice so just paid under the table as its my fault..

would you report it?

Edited by Seanbhoy

4 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Good for you that you weren't seriously injured. 

Most things such as this accident just have to be overlooked in Thailand.

Good luck.

Which is why those who escape the scene can so readily get away with their criminal actions.... 

OP: See if you can track down some CCTV footage,  get a copy of it and get the plate number - Post on social media. 

It would be ideal if you can have a 'senior Thai' (someone who will be respected) assist you with obtaining the CCTV footage. 

The more people have Dash-Cam the more this level of driving behavior will be eradicated. 

OP (and any other Motorcycle and car drivers) - Get Dash-Cams.... they will help your case in an accident if not at fault (rear and forward facing cams would be ideal) and will also help others if you film their accident.

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

OP (and any other Motorcycle and car drivers) - Get Dash-Cams.... they will help your case in an accident if not at fault (rear and forward facing cams would be ideal) and will also help others if you film their accident.

Absolutely, I have dash cams in both my cars, no bike but mates who do have bikes have bar / helmet cams.

yeh I'm guna get one, any recommendations?

obtaining the cctv, it would be the police in that area? I see the same fat officer with his white book everyday there, looking to shift fines out to the folk that cant afford a car... 

I have to drive a motorcycle there, it takes me one hour from rangsit area to bang rak, in a car its like 2.5 hours, bus well 3 hours maybe.

1 minute ago, Seanbhoy said:

yeh I'm guna get one, any recommendations?

obtaining the cctv, it would be the police in that area? I see the same fat officer with his white book everyday there, looking to shift fines out to the folk that cant afford a car... 

I have to drive a motorcycle there, it takes me one hour from rangsit area to bang rak, in a car its like 2.5 hours, bus well 3 hours maybe.

I know i found the same, with the motorbike you cut travel at least in half. You just can't beat a MC in traffic, the downside is that its more dangerous. 

I actually couldn't believe it, I lived outside of Bangkok before and I can completely understand life is different a bit further out so you do get some drunk people, some kids or whatever driving a bit crazy BUT in central Bangkok at 8:20am on Thursday morning.

It would make the news in London if that happened at that time.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

I know i found the same, with the motorbike you cut travel at least in half. You just can't beat a MC in traffic, the downside is that its more dangerous. 

yeah its great and most of the time, its not that bad, I'm guna dodge the roundabout at victory monument from now on, its like uncontrolled madness.

I actually couldn't believe it, I lived outside of Bangkok before and I can completely understand life is different a bit further out so you do get some drunk people, some kids or whatever driving a bit crazy BUT in central Bangkok at 8:20am on Thursday morning.

It would make the news in London if that happened at that time.

Kansas??

yeah its great and most of the time, its not that bad, I'm guna dodge the roundabout at victory monument from now on, its like uncontrolled madness.

I know its not that bad... otherwise I would not use my MC.. i got a car.. but just don't use it for travel like that.

I have once almost been T boned at night by someone running a light. I do hate people like that they should punish people running lights far harder...  like 5000bt  mandatory or so. 

17 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Absolutely, I have dash cams in both my cars, no bike but mates who do have bikes have bar / helmet cams.

I'd  suggest something like a GoPro purchase or similar  should be at the top of the list  for  any falang buying or renting a moto in Thailand.

A fatal accident posted on this site was the final straw that  motivated me to get a dash cam.     I'm so glad I did.

It used to irritate me when I sat behind a 'pack' of motorcycles, the light turns green and they are so slow and seemingly reluctant to pull away....  Cars too if they were at the front. 

I used to put it down to some weird combination of laziness or trying to save fuel.

Of course, I now know better... Every road user in Thailand is well aware of how readily others will still go through the lights after they have already changed red.

Waiting a couple of seconds longer on a green light was simply self preservation !

12 minutes ago, robblok said:

I know its not that bad... otherwise I would not use my MC.. i got a car.. but just don't use it for travel like that.

I have once almost been T boned at night by someone running a light. I do hate people like that they should punish people running lights far harder...  like 5000bt  mandatory or so. 

yeah before Christmas, I had a close call with a bus before on lam luk ka road, I was going straight maybe 60km and a bus doing a U turn just came out without checking on coming traffic, it was so lucky there was space to my left or that would have been super painful.

I wanted to stop and say something but confrontation doesn't really suit me and I don't want to get in trouble for fighting with some bus driver.

1 hour ago, watcharacters said:

Good for you that you weren't seriously injured. 

Most things such as this accident just have to be overlooked in Thailand.

Good luck.

Not if the driver was a foreigner. He had good luck as he wasn't seriously injured.

59 minutes ago, robblok said:

If I have to wait at a red light at night I won't stop in the middle of the road unless there are stationary cars behind me. Too many people have been killed like this. It would probably be safer to run the red light.

Edited by tropo

34 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Sadly some people both car and moto owners cannot afford one.   At least according to their thinking..

I'm seriously considering adding a discreet camera to my seatbelt slide that can be activated manually to order or slipped into a shirt pocket if i ever need to get out or my dashcams (forard & aft) lose power as a result of an accident.

Edited by evadgib

50 minutes ago, tropo said:

If I have to wait at a red light at night I won't stop in the middle of the road unless there are stationary cars behind me. Too many people have been killed like this. It would probably be safer to run the red light.

I never wait in the middle just like you on the sides is far better. I also make sure I am not the first off when the light turns green.

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It used to irritate me when I sat behind a 'pack' of motorcycles, the light turns green and they are so slow and seemingly reluctant to pull away....  Cars too if they were at the front. 

I used to put it down to some weird combination of laziness or trying to save fuel.

Of course, I now know better... Every road user in Thailand is well aware of how readily others will still go through the lights after they have already changed red.

Waiting a couple of seconds longer on a green light was simply self preservation !

It's not 'waiting'- it's looking to check that they have stopped.

5 hours ago, Seanbhoy said:

yeah before Christmas, I had a close call with a bus before on lam luk ka road, I was going straight maybe 60km and a bus doing a U turn just came out without checking on coming traffic, it was so lucky there was space to my left or that would have been super painful.

I wanted to stop and say something but confrontation doesn't really suit me and I don't want to get in trouble for fighting with some bus driver.

Number one priority, thank God you`re all right and survived to tell the tale.

The unwritten rule here, if involved in accident and it`s their fault, is to get away from the scene as quickly and as far away as possible. I`ve been riding motorbikes in Chiang Mai for years, so far been lucky, not been involved in any accidents, but there has been some close calls and never know if I`ll reach my destination bodily in-tact.

For foreigners not always easy to call the police. There is the language barrier for a start and at times the police don`t even answer their phones. 

3 years ago my daughter while on her motorbike was hit by a car side on. She suffered multiple injuries, mostly cuts that required stitches. It took a year for her to fully recover. The car driver was not caught. After that I banned her from using motorbikes again.

4 hours ago, keithpa said:

And how many different pieces of advice is he going to receive plus hundreds of story's of other accidents!

Just was wondering if anyone would bother reporting it cos my colleague at work said I should, plus I never knew how popular those camera things are, I’m Guna buy one.

did you have a bad night last night?

some other tourist paid the bar fine and full amount to the brass you had been chatting up all night? You shouldn’t be so cheap mate, you do know they don’t really want to talk to you and listen to all your shit, next time don’t haggle and just pay the bar, ul b happy, shel b happy after u bolted your load, she can do two in one night! Everyone’s a winner

13 hours ago, keithpa said:

Why do people have to tell all about their  their motor vehicle accidents , not unusual, not unique, not interesting. Millions happen every day.

So says someone who has yet to become a victim of reckless, thoughtless and selfish Thai-driving incidents!

1 hour ago, Seanbhoy said:

Just was wondering if anyone would bother reporting it cos my colleague at work said I should, plus I never knew how popular those camera things are, I’m Guna buy one.

did you have a bad night last night?

some other tourist paid the bar fine and full amount to the brass you had been chatting up all night? You shouldn’t be so cheap mate, you do know they don’t really want to talk to you and listen to all your shit, next time don’t haggle and just pay the bar, ul b happy, shel b happy after u bolted your load, she can do two in one night! Everyone’s a winner

Watcha smokin?