Major drinking water manufacturers agree to use less plastic

webfact

Major drinking water manufacturers agree to use less plastic

wb1.jpg

File photo

BANGKOK, 14th February 2018 (NNT) - Government agencies and the private sector have signed an agreement to stop using plastic film covering water bottle caps in an effort to reduce plastic garbage on land and sea. 

Permanent Secretary for Natural Resources and the Environment Wichan Simachaya, presided on Tuesday over the signing of the agreement between the Pollution Control Department, the Department of Environmental Quality Promotion, the FDA, the Office of The Consumer Protection Board, the Thai Beverage Industry Association, the Thai Retailers Association, the Thai Plastic Industries Association and the Plastics Institute of Thailand. 

According to the ministry, Thailand produces around 2.6 billion plastic water bottles a year. Lightweight plastic covering water bottle caps poses a threat to the environment on land and at sea since it does not decompose. 

Five major drinking water manufacturers have agreed to stop using the plastic to cover water bottle caps from 1st April this year. After that, the ministry will urge other companies to follow suit.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-02-14
  • Haha 1

The plastic film around the caps? Sure. But how about selling bigger containers? Several brands of mineral water (not purified) that we used to buy used to come in a 5 or 6 liter big bottle, but since months we can only find the 6x1.5L packs. That's a lot of unnecessary garbage.

46 minutes ago, mjnaus said:

So how about bringing your own shopping bag and telling the store clerk to leave the plastic bag? Been doing it for years; it's not rocket science...

And also, when I don't have my own shopping bag with me, I can still tell them to minimize the number of plastic bags.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, mjnaus said:

So how about bringing your own shopping bag and telling the store clerk to leave the plastic bag? Been doing it for years; it's not rocket science...

They don't speak english and the plastic bag shows that you paid for you goods....without the bag it looks like you stole it.

If all customers refused the bag it's very hard for the staff to determine who has paid and who didn't. It can be pretty busy in the 711 with people walking in/out....

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

The plastic film around the caps? Sure. But how about selling bigger containers? Several brands of mineral water (not purified) that we used to buy used to come in a 5 or 6 liter big bottle, but since months we can only find the 6x1.5L packs. That's a lot of unnecessary garbage.

you can still buy the bigger bottles. some prefer the smaller packs as they fit in the fridge easier etc. anyway. why not just let all your plastic bottles and other plastic crap, (once cleaned out if food containers etc) gather then when you have a load, say a large black bin bag, take them to your local recycling place. they'll even give you a few baht for them

Edited by Happy enough
  • Like 1

Most countries solved this problem by charging (deposit) for the plastic/glass  bottle so the bottle/plastic got value for the user.
image.png.23b5c6902a55d37c4598170b4d32607e.png
image.png.07a9083801555fe1ff8d3a23b1ff301d.png

Maybe in Thailand version 38.0 in 20 years

P.s

7-11 do not force me to use a plastic bag. I just say "Mai aw krap"

Edited by BEngBKK
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BEngBKK said:

Most countries solved this problem by charging (deposit) for the plastic/glass  bottle so the bottle/plastic got value for the user.
image.png.23b5c6902a55d37c4598170b4d32607e.png
image.png.07a9083801555fe1ff8d3a23b1ff301d.png

Maybe in Thailand version 38.0 in 20 years

you can sell plastic at your local recycling place right now, no need to wait 20 years. 

**and your old glass bottles

Edited by Happy enough
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Thian said:

They don't speak english and the plastic bag shows that you paid for you goods....without the bag it looks like you stole it.

If all customers refused the bag it's very hard for the staff to determine who has paid and who didn't. It can be pretty busy in the 711 with people walking in/out....

Sounds like a rather lame excuse to simply not bother. It'll take you literally 10 minutes to learn how to say this in Thai. As I have been shopping like this, with my own bag, for close to 14 years and have NEVER had any issues with it. How about showing the receipt when they think you stole your groceries?

Edited by mjnaus
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Pretty lame and confusing post there buddy.  First off have you even considered learning how to say " no bag" or " one bag only" in Thai? Takes about 5 minutes of practice even for a dinosaur.   You could even just simply say "mai pen rai khrap" the second they touch a bag or straw or spoon and they will put it down 99% of the time.  The part about the bag proving you pay is quite funny. There is a thing called a receipt ( which could be considered wasteful but is always available to prove you paid) also in MY world of 7/11's the cashiers are next to the exit doors but in yours they sound like they are in the back of the store lol. Do you really think some cashier is going to accuse some falang that they did not pay for something right after you paid? 

Get of your high horse cowboy.

I've tried the mai au tung krab several times, have to say it 5 times before they understand it.

And since there are several criminal farang in thailand i don't even want to look like them in the farest distance. If all people use a plastic bag than so will i.

I go to 711 on the motobike for things like milk/yoghurt/bananas/cigarettes and i can easy transport them in topcase but without a plastic bag i look suspicious to the Benz-drivers who parked next to me.

They already think i'm crazy to not go to 711 by car like they all do.

And at home i dress simple clothes, also when i go to 711 so yes i might look like a criminal farang in the eyes of the thai living around me. That's why i take the plastic bags, it just shows that i paid for my goods and am not a criminal farang.

Now i could bring my backpack (have loads of them) to 711 but farang with backpacks are drugdealers in some area's of BKK and since nobody carries a backpack (except students) i would look stupid again.

The receipt is the first thing i  dump in the bin when i walk out of the 711, don't want to bring that home where it will drop on the floor so i have to pick it up.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

you can still buy the bigger bottles. some prefer the smaller packs as they fit in the fridge easier etc. anyway. why not just let all your plastic bottles and other plastic crap, (once cleaned out if food containers etc) gather then when you have a load, say a large black bin bag, take them to your local recycling place. they'll even give you a few baht for them

At least in Chiang Mai, the big containers have disappeared from all major supermarkets since months. I am talking about the mineral water. The reverse-osmosis purified water is still available in big ones.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

For many years now I have bought the large 6 litre bottles as they have a handle and so easy to carry.  I keep 3 -1 1/2 litre bottles in the fridge and use a funnel to fill.

People who gather waste are pleased to get these but my neighbours always wanted them saying they were handy for carrying water to the rice fields when working.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

At least in Chiang Mai, the big containers have disappeared from all major supermarkets since months. I am talking about the mineral water. The reverse-osmosis purified water is still available in big ones.

haven't been up there in years so wouldn't know. the point is that a lot of people moan about the plastic and say it's all waste blah blah and don't even bother to take their own waste to get recycled. the bottles made in thailand for sale in thailand have the recycling logo on them for a reason. if people choose to ignore them, the binmen will usually do their best to fish them out of the rubbish on their rounds. when i was in bangkok i used to give them to one of the security guards, they'd take them to the recyling place, the money wasn't worth it to me but for him, he actually appreciated it

Edited by Happy enough
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

They only sell water to sell the beers, nuff said

You didn't really say e nuff. There are dozens of brands of bottled water available across Thailand. The two major breweries, Chang, Singha also make soda water and that also helps them sell beer, but Nestle and the others sell it because of customer demand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjnaus said:

My foldup shopping bag goes in my manbag. "Mai sai tung kap" always works.

15185798831682120490242.jpg

2 hours ago, Thian said:

Many farang customers all day / every day buy at the 7 near me, 90% of them say 'mai ou' to the bag, and the staff know mostly which farang reject the bag, the staff cope with this easily. 

Also nowadays many Thai customers (at this store) are following the same approach.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1