Trump says arming teachers could prevent school massacres

webfact

Provided it was properly done i think it would at least be some sort of deterrent.

The teachers would obviously need psychological assessment and arms training first, done correctly i think it would work.

Having a school shooting on an almost daily basis certainly needs something fixing.

The great irony here is for years the right has demonized the nation's teachers and now they want to arm them. It gets better and better. Will taxpayers now finance guns and training for the teachers and their union ? The same taxpayers who don't want to pay for quality teachers now want to splash out for guns and ammo. ha ha ha

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So Trump sulution is MORE guns, not less, and than you have to be worried

about triger happy teachers, who migh mistaken a kid move or intention as

dangerous and pull his/her guns out to either shoot or terrify the other kids....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LennyW said:

The teachers would obviously need psychological assessment and arms training first, done correctly i think it would work.

So everyone can buy a gun at 7/11 with no checks or training but the teachers need assessment and training ????

We arm the chicken in case the egg is armed, or is it the egg we arm in case the chicken is armed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LennyW said:

Provided it was properly done i think it would at least be some sort of deterrent.

Having a school shooting on an almost daily basis certainly needs something fixing.

And what if the teachers don't WANT to be strapped? Sack them? What if they fail the assessment - out the door they go or what?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LennyW said:

I thought all school shooters were mentally ill? How would it be a deterrent for crazy people?

"Psychological assessments" are far from foolproof. You are essentially giving 3 million people 3 million guns, and praying that not one of those people will go crazy and shoot up the school. Whoever votes to give teachers guns, the blood will be on YOUR hands after the first massacre.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nkg said:

I thought all school shooters were mentally ill? How would it be a deterrent for crazy people?

"Psychological assessments" are far from foolproof. You are essentially giving 3 million people 3 million guns, and praying that not one of those people will go crazy and shoot up the school. Whoever votes to give teachers guns, the blood will be on YOUR hands after the first massacre.

There's a thought - the mentally ill can easily snap. We need to arm staff, visitors and the less mentally ill patients in the hospitals. Obviously the patients would need a psychological evaluation first, but it should be plain sailing from there...

• Like 2

I have a better solution. Why not simply sign an executive order making all schools, students and teachers members of the military until graduation. That way we can militarize the whole system. Now a crazy person with a gun will have to break his way onto a military base to kill students. And while we are at it, why not do the same for supermarkets, malls and public parks, Sig Heil !

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

Teacher's job is to teach, which is difficult enough and requires total focus. Armed protection at places you mentioned has sole job of providing armed protection. Somehow schools in most of the rest of the world don't need what you suggest. I wonder why....

Trump clearly hasn't spent much, if any, time in a classroom, either as student or adult

Do the teachers keep their guns locked during class , if not, what's to prevent a kid from jumping the teacher while he writes on the board and grabbing the gun ? The logistics of this puzzles me. So we can easily have teachers and students struggling over a loaded weapon in a full classroom....that would be good

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Carib said:

The police state is getting closer day by day, just to protect the second amendment fans. Teachers with guns, how low can a country go. 

Are you kidding? Armed guards to ensure the teachers don't flip, armed guards to ensure the armed guards watching the teachers don't flip... Use your imagination - the possibilities to sink even lower are literally endless!

9 minutes ago, whatwasithinking said:

I have a number of USA friends on facebook both male & female & judging from the posts i see there is no outcry about the mass shootings but continual posts arguing against any kind of new controls full stop . SO they still want their AR15  assault rifles & don't even wish for any kind of change to gun laws which as an Australian i find it really hard to understand their gun mentality

I know what you mean. Personally I am torn between 'God, it's just awful' and 'Ach, let the tossers just exterminate one another, then...'

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, baboon said:

Are you kidding? Armed guards to ensure the teachers don't flip, armed guards to ensure the armed guards watching the teachers don't flip... Use your imagination - the possibilities to sink even lower are literally endless!

It's almost like North Korea....ha ha ha

I remember (guiltily) my schooldays when we would regularly get supply teachers and the class aim was how quickly we could destroy their confidence and self esteem and, indeed, we did manage tears often and one or two quivering wrecks - maybe arming them would have given them a bit more confidence?

3 minutes ago, baboon said:

True, and the sad thing is that they will probably be considered too should a teacher ever 'make a mistake' with his gun.  The US has gone absolutely bonkers. 

5 minutes ago, Orac said:

I remember (guiltily) my schooldays when we would regularly get supply teachers and the class aim was how quickly we could destroy their confidence and self esteem and, indeed, we did manage tears often and one or two quivering wrecks - maybe arming them would have given them a bit more confidence?

Look at it this way.....we now have a new art class...."Making Human Form Targets 101" and "BullsEye Painting for Beginners"

• Sad 1

Yes, turning our schools into prisons seems like a great solution. I'm sure Betsy DeVos and her brother, Erik Prince are all over this money-making opportunity.

There were two (armed, obviously) policeman on the campus the day of the shooting.

Those crib notes are amazing, having staff have to remind him to say "I hear you" is very telling.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 2

Arming teachers is a dumb idea for many reasons.   Here are a few....

>>> teachers are people, therefore they're as likely to be mentally flawed as anyone else.  A teacher can get pissed off and start shooting innocents, as easily as a postal worker or a soldier, or anyone else.

>>>  a kid could steal a gun from the teacher

>>>   gun could go off accidentally.  Happens every day in the US

>>>  if someone wants to cause harm, then a teacher with a gun will offer more of a challenge.  

>>>  teacher with a gun contributes to students thinking about / dwelling upon guns.

>>>  if two teachers have conflict (perhaps one stole the g.f away from the other).  Soldiers have guns.  Sometimes soldiers have conflicts among their ranks.  People get shot. 

>>>  if there's an argument between student(s) and teacher, teacher can pull a gun to assert dominance.

>>>  Teacher may see something which bothers him/her (perhaps some kids smoking opium in the bathroom), teacher could start shooting.  Who's at fault?

• Like 1

In Thailand you have to pass through 4 security checks and show id before entering a school.

Security at the front checking the car and reason you are there.  Traffic guy that has a look at you.  Reception that take a look at you.  A sliding gate and you must wear a visible id card at all times.  Active supervisors and managers in every area of the school.  There's also a lot of time checking and signatures on bits of paper.

I'm amazed a kid can just walk in to a school and have a look around with a machine gun.

Edited by johnray
  • Thanks 1