Dems On The Fence Over Suthep’s pro-Prayuth Party

webfact

Dems On The Fence Over Suthep’s pro-Prayuth Party

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

14504103491450410435l-696x407.jpg 

Democrat Party chairman Abhisit Vejjajiva and his then-deputy Suthep Thaugsuban in an undated file photo. Image: Matichon

BANGKOK — The Democrat Party said Monday it is taking a wait-and-see approach to news one of its former executives is planning to set up a pro-junta party to contest the next election.

Just four days before registration opens for new parties, Democrat Party chairman Abhisit Vejjajiva and his aides said they have to see how Suthep Thaugsuban, whose role as a firebrand protest leader helped pave way for the 2014 coup, will act before they come up with a response.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2018/02/27/dems-fence-sutheps-pro-prayuth-party/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-02-27

Yeah, wait and see how Suthep, this beacon of freedom, democracy and law will do with his new political party!

I can't quiet figure it out, how this will play out.

If only there were some examples of his out- and upstanding behavior from the past...:violin:

• Thanks 1

The Democrats know full well they have no hope in hell of getting anywhere near power unless they form a coalition. There choice is either in a coalition including the army, Suthep and Bhumjumthai or not at all. There is only one way they are going, regardless of there pretend huffing and puffing on these decisions.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

The Democrats know full well they have no hope in hell of getting anywhere near power unless they form a coalition. There choice is either in a coalition including the army, Suthep and Bhumjumthai or not at all. There is only one way they are going, regardless of there pretend huffing and puffing on these decisions.

That is assuming they want to be in government. Anyway this new party is bad news for them and anyone saying different is IMHO lying. The democrats lose a lot of their potential votes to this party. That is assuming people would want to vote for an army party while people on here think the army is hated (i would think so) so would people really vote for them.

11 minutes ago, robblok said:

That is assuming they want to be in government. Anyway this new party is bad news for them and anyone saying different is IMHO lying. The democrats lose a lot of their potential votes to this party. That is assuming people would want to vote for an army party while people on here think the army is hated (i would think so) so would people really vote for them.

Rob it really makes no difference as there will need to be a big coalition to get into power for anyone. I doubt very few Democrat supporters would move outside of the Democrats or voting for Suthep. If Suthep does split from the Dems it will be for tactical reasons, you dont really think he has had a falling out with them do you?  You put the Democrats, any army party, Suthep party and Bhumjumthai party together and the assorted other bribe-able smaller parties who can be influenced by the army then they will have enough to form the Government and keep the PTP out. Just imagine the level of bargaining and money that will be promised to keep that party together. Will make the PTP look like rank amateurs at corruption.

Grow a spine and be a leader and not a follower Khun Ahbisit. Still not too late to redeem yourself as a establishment lackey. This evil man brought down your predecessor government with his Phuket land scam and schemed with the military to set up the coup. Denounced him or perhaps you harboring thoughts of joining him and get a job with the junta. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, smutcakes said:

Rob it really makes no difference as there will need to be a big coalition to get into power for anyone. I doubt very few Democrat supporters would move outside of the Democrats or voting for Suthep. If Suthep does split from the Dems it will be for tactical reasons, you dont really think he has had a falling out with them do you?  You put the Democrats, any army party, Suthep party and Bhumjumthai party together and the assorted other bribe-able smaller parties who can be influenced by the army then they will have enough to form the Government and keep the PTP out. Just imagine the level of bargaining and money that will be promised to keep that party together. Will make the PTP look like rank amateurs at corruption.

I really thought they had a falling out or at least see things differently. I might be totally wrong here because i truly don't know. I see this as bad news for the democrats unless its some kind of secret deal. 

You are right there is a big coalition needed for anyone to get in power.

I agree that a coalition like this would be open for huge corruption that is one of the reasons I wanted PTP in  power because they would be checked like a lot. Not because I like the PTP but because I hate corruption. 

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

I really thought they had a falling out or at least see things differently. I might be totally wrong here because i truly don't know. I see this as bad news for the democrats unless its some kind of secret deal. 

You are right there is a big coalition needed for anyone to get in power.

I agree that a coalition like this would be open for huge corruption that is one of the reasons I wanted PTP in  power because they would be checked like a lot. Not because I like the PTP but because I hate corruption. 

The only way PTP could get in power would be for them to also make loads of profitable deals with various parties, which like the above would also lead to corruption. But this is how the Junta have written it.

17 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

You put the Democrats, any army party, Suthep party and Bhumjumthai party together and the assorted other bribe-able smaller parties who can be influenced by the army then they will have enough to form the Government and keep the PTP out.

I remember a simulation of the MMA system outcome based on the 2011 election not long ago. Basing on that simulation, the

middle size parties like BJT, CTPP and CTP who will gained more seats due to the MMA system will be the kingmaker.

Dem Party if they decide to join Suthep’s pro military party will take about 160 seats according to the simulation (include Suthep wining all seats in his province).  They will need 90+ more seats and collectively the 3 middle size parties can deliver IF they decide to be pro military. Big IF.

PTP according to the simulation will be worse off and will take about 225 seats and what they need to do is to get one of the 3 parties to join them and they will be the next government. Complicated but interesting, 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, smutcakes said:

The only way PTP could get in power would be for them to also make loads of profitable deals with various parties, which like the above would also lead to corruption. But this is how the Junta have written it.

True.. but the deals of the PTP would be under far more checks from the anti corruption organisations NACC and so on. That is until they have their people in places of power to shield them.

The cows, cats and dogs in the neighborhood have more sense and direction than this uneventful, one time shill of a politician.   He has some good insights, but he just does not go anywhere far enough.  He is Thailand's second greatest underachiever. 

Edited by yellowboat
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Abhisit is one of the great disappointments of Thailand.

I remember when he was elected he was described as a very clever chap by his old classmate Boris Johnson (who was mayor of London at the time). Kind of says it all...

Meanwhile, the name of surefire frontrunner Suthep's party? Great Mass of People Party. Gotta love those unwashed masses!

• Haha 1