Why do some expats turn Thai in Thailand?

rooster59

2 hours ago, Davmaac said:

You wouldn't be able to get much food on top of a glass and that small amount of food could be got at by flying ants?

its the principle, i instructed my pizza makers to store it this way until i come and pick it up,

they simply place the pizza box on top of it.

after 3 times ant infestation, i told them in no uncertain terms if i ever catch them not storing it this way, i will never again buy from them. the savages thought it was OK to brush away

the majority of ants for me to eat it :shock1:

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, z42 said:

To what degree though? I understand it very well and actually abhor many aspects of it, yet as it is their country simply roll my eyes and not take it upon myself to tell them how backwards it appears (unless of course asked).

As for language, i am not fluent but i can do almost any basic daily exchange in Thai, and generally take care of important stuff independently.

So do please enlighten us on why it's so important to be a Thai cultural guru and a master of the language, as it seems certain that is what you are implying expats should be

How did that post imply that at all ? You even say you know basic everyday Thai and he never says you have to be a Thai guru or even close to that. You should read his post again but without blinders on. “ master of the language” he said no such thing “learn the language” as in learn some of it like you did. Not be “ fluent” . 

Edited by alex8912
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, punchjudy said:

dan needs to find another line of work

I agree. After 5 sentences, I found myself bored with his adopted and affected, nasal and whiny, UK TV style delivery. Not interesting, not important and not the sort of person I really want to listen to!

• Like 2

All people are different .

some adapt  some dont 

Ex pats  of all nationalities have different backgrounds and cultures  if live in Thailand why not just do as the thai do they are actuely very helpfull people if u try and do a bit to speak to them in Thai   or to help them with English .

We grow flowers use Dutch  cultevtaion methods but my Thai neighbour who grows vegatables shows me that thai ways als help sometimes even better   so there you go why not listen to what they have to say instead of being  i know i know i farang .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johncat1 said:

I have had a go at planting rice, harvesting rice, thrashing rice ( the old fashioned way ) planting mung etc BUT just had a go to understand the work involved ...bugger doing it full time it is bloody hard work 

Thais respect you for trying   

As an ol'  London kid I can tell you the thrashing worked wonders for many...:stoner:

Forgetting the cultural thing , if you speak the language of where you are living it is bound to come in useful.

You can get by in Pattaya with just learning a few sexual instructions but in the rest of the country speaking Thai can save you a mountain of hassle.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Denim said:

Forgetting the cultural thing , if you speak the language of where you are living it is bound to come in useful.

You can get by in Pattaya with just learning a few sexual instructions but in the rest of the country speaking Thai can save you a mountain of hassle.

Don't agree, in these days of constant internet you can get by with photos.

Can't think of any situation I've encountered in the last 10 years where speaking Thai was required.

Most of the time they just say 'Arai na' anyway.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

9 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Don't agree, in these days of constant internet you can get by with photos.

Can't think of any situation I've encountered in the last 10 years where speaking Thai was required.

Most of the time they just say 'Arai na' anyway.

Well....if I have to take the car for repairs I like to be able to talk to my mechanic so that he fully understands what I want him to do.  Or, if I have a problem with utility bills I like to be able to sort it out myself sometimes without having to drag the wife along to translate.

I figure if I'm going to live here and ultimately go up the chimney here I might as well speak the lingo. No big deal. Most people are going to pick up some of the language so might as well build on it.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Denim said:

Well....if I have to take the car for repairs I like to be able to talk to my mechanic so that he fully understands what I want him to do.  Or, if I have a problem with utility bills I like to be able to sort it out myself sometimes without having to drag the wife along to translate.

If my mechanic needs instructions on how to fix the car from me, he ain't getting the job.

Blew a valve in my m/c last week, all the oil burned out the exhaust.

Drive to the nearest Honda dealer, point at exhaust, point at smoke, 5 days later engine rebuilt and no smoke (1,850bht).

No Thai language required ...........

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

A better question is why do some Farang in Thailand Not learn the language and understand the culture? 

Because its basically pretty pointless unless it serves you as a Business or a Money making venture, and quite frankly the majority of us are quite Happy as we are and dont feel the need to get all culturally Lovey Dovey and speaking poor Thai whilst wearing a Khaftan and Yellow Crocs.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

If my mechanic needs instructions on how to fix the car from me, he ain't getting the job.

Drive to the nearest Honda dealer, point at exhaust, point at smoke, 5 days later engine rebuilt and no smoke (1,850bht).

Fair enough. I'm not saying you absolutely have to learn Thai to live here , just saying that if you can speak it it proves very useful.

I've certainly never felt that I wasted a little bit of effort in learning it, especially as it's a relatively easy language to learn.

• Like 1

Because we would look funny if we turned Thai in Switzerland or Australia... 

ps - never thought of it as turning Thai, but assimilating by learning the language and customs of the country I am living in and since I very much enjoy this country, and the people, I find it a compliment when Thai people tell me I am like a Thai person. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Wow! Impressed!

Sign language - how marvelous.....

So, after work, you and the bike mechanic sat down for a few beers and a good natter then?

• Like 2

speaking the language definitely helps in a whole range of practical situations,

and if, god forbid, you are in a relation, then language is even more critical

to avoid a never-ending annoyance & frustration

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

A better question is why do some Farang in Thailand Not learn the language and understand the culture? 

Firstly one has to find someone one wishes to talk to?  

But I am guilty of inadequacy in Thai. Most of my "local" friends are farangs and my Thai friends speak English. I seem to bumble along here in Bangkok with English and pantomime or "taxi" Thai.

If I lived in a small village with no foreigners or English speakers them yes, to survive, I would have to learn/speak the local language.