"I bribed immigration 3,000 baht to get into Thailand", says arrested Dutch child abuser

webfact

"I bribed immigration 3,000 baht to get into Thailand", says arrested Dutch child abuser

11.jpg

Picture: Sanook

The Netherlands man arrested in Jomtien on Sunday for abusing little boys has told Chonburi cops that he bribed a border official.

The immigration chief in Surin has promised a full investigation.

Rennard, 69, was on a one year blacklist but managed to get into the country through the Chong Jorm border checkpoint in Surin.

Police are saying he is a key player in a child sex ring.

1pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Sanook reporters went to the checkpoint and found everything normal yesterday - but the chief of immigration had gone to Bangkok.

Chief of Surin immigration Pol Col Charnchai Chaokasem spoke to Sanook over the phone later and defended the crossing saying that it implemented strict measures that resulted in 56 people on warrants being stopped last year and 27 already in 2018.

He said that there was no record of Joseph Marie Rienards entering Thailand in Surin. But he admitted that he had tried to pass the crossing in May 2017 but was turned back as he was blacklisted. He had clearly been in Cambodia.

Asked about the possibility that people could enter Thailand along the porous 100 kilometer border through a natural crossing point he said that this was possible. Though cooperation between immigration, the military and pho yai baan had meant that this eventuality was unlikely now.

He said that immigration was determined to root out corruption in its ranks.

The abuser's claims about paying 3,000 baht to an official would be vigorously investigated and if wrong doing was found the person or persons responsible would face internal sanctions and criminal prosecution.

Surin immigration and Chonburi police are cooperating closely in the matter.

Sources: Sanook, Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-03-05

Just now, rkidlad said:

Well, he's in custody now. Not much anyone can do except wait for him to be sentenced and hopefully imprisoned for a long time. The big issue now is did he really pay to enter? If true, this is a big problem that needs a huge amount of focus. 

True..he can't do much now anymore. I just find it the bigger crime of two crimes but your right with a border that is not really a border you get criminals walking in and out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, khwaibah said:

And why they are at it ask about the 20K that SI is asking for a retirment extension. Heck SinCity only ask for 12K. Buriram 16K and Korat 15K.

The thousands of Uighurs who were trafficked through Thailand on their way to Turkey and then to Syria to fight for ISIS had to pay 10K at the Cambodian border to enter without passports.

17 minutes ago, akirasan said:

Interesting..I use that border crossing quite a bit because it's close.  One thing I noticed was that Cambodian Immigration takes fingerprints on entry and exit but Thailand does not.  

that's because Thailand doesn't give a rat's arse, and besides - taking fingerprints also complicates the extra Bht xxxx entry conditions for some.

I recall that the Bomber of the Shrine in Bangkok also paid an Immigration Official to get into the country.   Months later the Big Pumpkin was asked what would be happening to this Immigration Official and his answer was 'We mustn't be too hard on them'.   Presumably the same will apply here as we all know that a certain percentage of such corrupt takings funnel their way right to the Billionaire Generals at the top !

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

I recall that the Bomber of the Shrine in Bangkok also paid an Immigration Official to get into the country.   Months later the Big Pumpkin was asked what would be happening to this Immigration Official and his answer was 'We mustn't be too hard on them'.   Presumably the same will apply here as we all know that a certain percentage of such corrupt takings funnel their way right to the Billionaire Generals at the top !

'We mustn't be too hard on them"  just highlights the complete over-all uselessness of anything worthwhile in a way of sorting out the complete and utter shambles of LOS.

A lost cause going further backwards by the day.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rkidlad said:

The big issue now is did he really pay to enter? If true, this is a big problem that needs a huge amount of focus. 

Well, the Erawan bombers did, repeatedly... And that led to various Immigration officers being transferred out of their posts -- but never fired or prosecuted, as far as we know.

So, it's' not like it's a startling piece of news that bribery occurs at the border checkpoints.  When there's money to be made, you know who looks to make it.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

No need to vigorously investigate. This is all legal and all above board and has the approval of the The National Anti-Corruption Commission. People are allowed to give gifts (pay bribes) of up to 3,000 baht to civil servants. Confirmed in this announcement today. To quote:

"a National Anti-Corruption Commission rule allows civil servants to accept cash or items worth up to Bt3,000 as gifts."

Idiocy prevails. Only in Thailand could it be that The National Anti-Corruption Commission rather than fighting corruption it is now giving official approval for it to take place. So can it be taken then that anyone anywhere wanting to get into the 3,000 baht and less corruption business only has to step up and apply to the NACC for approval. Where is Pinocchio when you need him?

If you read the entire report, it's not quite as allowed as you suggest:

A Royal Thai Police regulation prohibits officers from visiting business establishments during annual festivals, especially the Lunar New Year, and collecting money, gifts or other benefits, which is deemed “inappropriate”, although a National Anti-Corruption Commission rule allows civil servants to accept cash or items worth up to Bt3,000 as gifts.

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If you read the entire report, it's not quite as allowed as you suggest:

I have read the entire report; thank you kindly for your suggestion. Allowing for the story about the RTP collecting their envelopes for the new year the statement from the NACC is quite clear. I  repeat it.

"a National Anti-Corruption Commission rule allows civil servants to accept cash or items worth up to Bt3,000 as gifts."

Does not an Immigration Officer come under the classification of a civil servant? If not (in your opinion) then what is he/she?  Does the straw splitting start by defining whether a gift is a bribe or whether a bribe is a gift? And who does the defining?

Did the pedo offer a gift or did the pedo offer a bribe to the immigration officer? Perhaps if the pedo had said he offered the immigration officer a gift without asking for anything in return (nudge, nudge, wink,wink) would that then make it legal according to the NACC. 

All semantics I suppose but the rule is what it says it is.

In Thai justice speak it could mean that bribes of 3,000 baht may not necessarily be deemed bribes.......they can instead be deemed "gifts". Thai justice and law is nothing more than a pigs breakfast.

Is any other reader surprised at this report?  It seems to be business as usual and not uncommon. Once again the sex industry continues, illegally, because of such occurrences fueled by home-grown, greedy, corrupt individuals.

If the claim be true about the foreigner, and what the foreigner claims about the Thai Immigration, why did, (if true) , the Thai Immigration allow the foreign individual entry into Thailand?

They corrupt their own society by passing the blame (buck) onto other nationalities!

• Like 1

The corrupt immigration guy who let him in for 3000 baht should also be jailed for a few years. Only then will the other officials learn. Hope he does not get off with a reprimand or one more 'inactive' posting.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Jools said:

The sheer number of pedophile cases being reported is going to result in more grief for every expat as they institute mindless new rules to combat such activity. WHY is Thailand a hub for pedophiles in the first place???

I don't know, but there are plenty of Thai Pedophiles in the news now days.

i shudder to think what goes on thats not reported in the villages up and down Thailand. !!!!!!!! :shock1:

Ps, Immigration on the take , how unusual is that :coffee1:

Edited by stanleycoin